USS Constitution by MikeU48 - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - with sails

Looking splendid  - love the decking finnish.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks guys...It's been a labor of love. I built this model 40 years ago and ended up giving it to my brother and it has since found it's way to the dump many years ago. Hard to dust without a case. My bride bought the model for me for a wedding present in 1991 and I started it with her son but life got in the way and that one also ended up at the dump. I think I got as far as painting the decks.

This time I'm resolved to finish it and put it in a display case. Too old to worry about dusting much of anything. My IDEAL dusting job is to glue everything down and use a leaf blower with the windows open...lol

Edited by MikeU48

TIme to get the hulls ready for mating. I can't stand the funky stand that came with the Connie so I decided to go with brass pedestals and a nice wooden base.

Went to Ace Hardware and got some bolts that fit the slots in the bottom of the hulls. Epoxied them in.

20181012_150425.thumb.jpg.8af292b04e867b5bebaf4d31ebe2e895.jpg

20181012_150450.thumb.jpg.b626a4bb8757401bdc688f70a9568fe8.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

Now... the moment of truth. Time to glue the hull halves together.  The instructions called for clothespins or paper clamps. Really??? I bought some decent clamps online instead. They worked well on the front and rear of the hulls where the flat spots were and by the bolts that were glued into the hulls for the pedestals but I had gaps between the bolts that clamps wouldn't grip to. What to do...   I decided to use Testors liquid glue on the front and rear of the hulls as there are flat spots there that the clamps would hold pretty well. After those sections dried I mixed up some 5-minute epoxy and laid a bead inside the hull where I had just used the Testors... (ALL gluing was done inside the hull) Once that set up I used some Testors glue on the inside where the two bolts were (and clamps). Now for the gaps. Mixed up some 5-minute epoxy and ran a bead in the gaps and held that area for 5 minutes with my fingers. Thank God my nose didn't itch...lol

Removed the clamp's front and back and let everything dry overnight.

20181012_181420.thumb.jpg.042ff5795022cb737be09603d6ca9e82.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

As I said, I've been busy on many different fronts on the Conny. First of all, I want to thank Lou and OC for the painting tips. Switching to acrylics was super. I like the water clean up and the ease of painting compared to the thicker enamel paints. Using the paint lid really helped control how much paint I got on the tip of the brush.

I think the transom is done but I will probably use an Exacto knife to square out the window corners. The windows were primed and painted with enamel (which was before I learned about Acrylics) All the rest of the transom was initially paint with the black acrylic to get rid of the dull finish I had after using ELO paint remover to get ride of previous screw ups.....lol 

Other than the window touch up I think I'm done with the transom.

Now I'm all caught up with my work progress reports. Yippee!!!

20181013_065000_resized_1.jpg.f40b84fe2d3119fb2ebfc508ce9ce679.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

Next step is to mount the hull to the display board with pedestals. Had to grind the slotted section of the pedestal to about 1/2 their height so that the hull would rest flush with the bottom part of the slot. Also, need to widen the slot a little. I have nothing else to do right??? lol

Got the base and pedestals from Model Expo. Thanks to Hubac's suggestion, I got the cordless Dremel and has worked great for grinding the pedestal down. Also great for polishing my teeth and removing hemorrhoids. I have to remember to polish my teeth first...My bad.....

The base came unfinished so I put 2 coats of semi-gloss poly on it as I still had a can from spraying the Oak decks.

20181013_095330.thumb.jpg.18a7a513ebcb00fcbac504cbf22412ba.jpg

3 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

Also great for polishing my teeth and removing hemorrhoids. I have to remember to polish my teeth first

A little too much information, but other than that great work. I do hope that you are not going to build the model while mounted to your beautifully finished stand?  

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, MikeU48 said:

The only way I know of is for the model to be upright while assembling

I would think that you would use a scrap piece of wood drilled out to accept the hull screws just like the finished stand. But I must admit it looks better when you are not building to see her sitting on the real thing. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou,

I used bolts instead of screws because there was nothing in the hull to screw into. Plus the cavity in the bottom of the hull looked like it was shaped for bolts. Nothing was mentioned in the instructions about using bolts as an alternative mounting method so...

Anyway, I agree it looks so much better mounted on the nice wood so as to enjoy the fruits of my labors as I progress. :piratetongueor4:

Edited by MikeU48

Marvelous job so far mike - the paintwork really is a credit to you  looking really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

15 minutes ago, MikeU48 said:

Thanks OC,

A lot of the credit goes to you and the tips you gave me. Acrylics are soo much easier to work with. Thanks again for your advise. Much appreciated.

No problem at all  - so glad to help.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hey CDW,

When I first saw them I fell in love with the look. The last Conney I started in 1991 I painted the deck black, then topped it with a tan. The idea was to lightly sand the deck till the black showed thru. I think that's where I quit...lol

I also fell in love with the cloth sails on this website. Needless to say, they are sitting in my hobby room patiently waiting to drive me crazy....

Check it out: I have Lou to thank for this site. AND I mean that sincerely Lou.

https://www.hismodel.com/uss-constitution-united-states-revell-1-96

Also look at the top of the page for the Photogallery. There are 3 builders of the Constitution that are just fantastic.

I've got the Revell Constitution, CSS Alabama, and USS Kearsarge all sitting in drydock, waiting for me to buy the detail parts and start them. Been wanting to build the Alabama and Kearsarge for a long time but never got around to it. Like you, I did the Constitution long ago, in the 70's, but really want a 2nd go at it with more skill and modernized detail parts.

No need to thank me Mike.

I was just passing on some information that I acquired about a year ago when I also fell in love with the sails that Radimir makes. Although I also have the Revell Constitution in my horde of models I suspect that I will never get around to building her again. (Like many others I built her as a teen) but I have been in contact with him about other sail needs and he seems like a very nice and competent modeling source. Your dealings with him have seemed to confirm this, so you have done as much a favor to me as I have to you.

It will be interesting to follow your use of the items you have purchased from him. Looks like you will be starting the gun deck cannons soon.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I have followed Marc's eBay sales for some time now. I have even bought a couple of models from him through his eBay offerings but CDW is right. The original owner ends up with very little in many cases. Occasionally though the buyer can come out pretty good, but then that is the story all over eBay. 

Your cannon are looking really good. The barrels have a nice shape and look well made. Are you going to blacken them?

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mornin Lou,

Just going to leave the cannons brass cause I like the look and YOU MADE ME buy them so there...he he he. I also got the gun carriages from HiSModel but just realized they are the type that go on the gun deck not the upper deck where you will see them. Sent him an email to exchange for the correct ones. At least I don't have to assemble those little suckers and paint them so I'll be finished with the lower deck in a few dazes. Don't see the need to paint the inside of the captains quarters or run the ropes between all the guns on the lower deck. Again...who will see all that detailed work? Not ME...