USS Constitution by MikeU48 - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - with sails

2 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

YOU MADE ME buy them

Yeah I may have SUGGESTED that you buy them but now that you have shown them off you will be FORCING me to get a set as well!:stunned:

I am not certain that I understand on the carriages. The guns you are assembling now are the guns that will be located on the gun deck and are considered long guns. The other guns are called Carronades and will go on the upper or spar deck. They are a shorter stockier looking gun and on the Constitution and use a different style of carriage.

You may consider rigging the guns in the midships area, (The area where the big opening is that will partly be covered with the ships boats later) That area will still be visible even after the spar deck is installed. On my build as a teen I rigged all the lower deck cannon AND painted the great cabin, including the world map that was located on the bulkhead back then. I would occasionally hold the model up just so I could look through the windows and see inside. Now days I could just use an Endoscope to do the same thing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Waterproof-HD-2M-7mm-Endoscope-Lens-Mini-USB-Inspection-Camera-with-6-LED-Lights-Borescope-for-Android-Smartphone-PC-Lapt-op/924102324?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=9869&adid=22222222227083850308&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=196367365898&wl4=pla-314984353131&wl5=9033346&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115780161&wl11=online&wl12=924102324&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZDeBRD9ARIsAMbAmoau7i54ClITxFRnlbQEmXjzUJIJYDtgthodLUb0pIRvf8ewUt2FwxsaAg3nEALw_wcB

:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

5 hours ago, lmagna said:

YOU MADE ME buy them

Well, actually Lou, you referred me to the HiSmodel site to see the cloth sails they offered for the Conny. Not only did I decide to buy the sails but the cannon carriages as well (sorry I don't know all the correct naval ship terms but I think you get my drift) Your correct in saying I  need the carriages for the Carronades. They have a flat bottom without sides to them. I like your suggestion of rigging the cannons by the main deck opening and will do that. Insofar as painting the Captain's Quarters I will probably pass. The great plan is to have a plexiglass case built for it and I highly doubt anyone will dare move it to look thru the back windows...lol

She is looking the part one of those like you I did as a teen in the early 70's .I am doing the USS America ATTM and got the decks from HISmodel and the block/pulleys.The only thing with my decks there is no ends to the planks so I went through and did 16' planks just to make it look busy took little time.Keep up the good work. ;)

I missed that completely, but Hal is right, the two, (1 port and 1 starboard) long guns should be removed from where they are and placed on the upper deck toward the bow as bow chasers. 

I believe at one point the stern windows were knocked out and two long guns were placed there as stern chasers when the Constitution was in one of her races against being captured by the British. I don't think they were there all of the time though. I have been in the Great cabin and there are no accommodations today to handle guns even if you wanted to.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Hal and Good OLD Lou,

Thanks for the advice. I was just following the instructions and what you say makes sense. There are 22 Carronades on the spar deck with one larger cannon ( like the ones on the gun deck) near the bow which I assume was the chase gun. I will pull the two from the front gun deck and leave the doors open to serve as a Taco Bell Drive thru... he he he 

Javlin

Thanks for the comment

Edited by MikeU48

I got a question for you guys and gals (just in case).

The original instruction call for the plastic gun deck (comes as 3 separate sections) not to be glued to the hull sides. I, of course) glued the 3 sections together so I could install the oak veneer deck. After the hull sides were glued together I had to spread the top of the hull sections to drop the gun deck down on its supports. There are small retainer clips above the supports that rest on the top edge of the gun deck once it's on the support ledge. It's pretty snug around the edges of the gun deck where it meets the hull but a few places are not as snug. AND now for the question. 

Should I now glue the one piece gun deck to the hull sides?

The “ceiling” is the wall on the interior or the inner bulkhead. I believe on the Connie it was painted green. Have a look see at some of the Connie build logs and you will see what I mean.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Just now, MikeU48 said:

Thanks, Jim. I'll check it out. I always like looking at other peoples work to give me ideas for my project.

USS Constitution by Sawdustdave pg 19 shows what I am talking about.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I found this on another build log (wish I would have remembered who it was but the guy is an awesome scratch builder)

This is growing on me and what needs to be painted is so simple on the Revell model.

Hummmmm

Thanks, Jim...I see a sleepless night cogitating and ruminating about it...lol

Thanks Mark for your kind words!!!

green.JPG.a9f7234c0714b2f94e4462bd6f1396a5.JPG

While the inner bulwarks on the spar deck are green, they would be white in the lower deck space between the gun deck and the spar deck.

I think Jim is right though in that it would be MUCH easier to paint them without fear of messing up the decks if you paint them prior to installing the decks. That would require removing the gun deck as well so it would be best to not glue it until after you do the painting. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, MikeU48 said:

Thanks Richmond.

Repainted several times...lol Just needed the practice with a small brush and a steady hand. Not easy at 70...he he he

Hope you get to do it at 80 like me!

Cheers, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Well, Jim....I think you sold me on the green. It really grew on me overnight and I was pretty sure I had a green color in the acrylic paints I got from Model Expo (at OC's suggestion). They were supposedly geared to the Connie. Funny when I checked my acrylic paints..there was no copper for the hull but look what I found (2 bottles)!!!!

As my Dear departed wife would say..."Meant to be"   By the way she had that engraved inside my wedding band...

And here I thought I was done with the major painting...lol...right!!!Gun Deck removed...Let the painting begin

And Lou... gotta cogitate and ruminate on the white for a while...who knows as most of it will be covered by the spar/gun deck. I'll probably get these terms correct someday but don't hold your breath...just bare with me if I lapse back to laymen's terms...

20181016_085651.thumb.jpg.b560573eea7d739eb273fcb950cce9ee.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

50 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

The White on the gundeck actually brightens up the dark area and makes the guns stand out.

I think that is why they used white below decks. It is possible that they used whitewash back in the day rather than paint but either way it made the mostly closed up lower deck spaces lighter and less gloomy day and night. That is certainly the case on-board the Constitution today. 

Don't worry about terms Mike call them walls with shuttered windows if you want. You are building a model for enjoyment and personal satisfaction, not trying to pass a seaman's exam! By the time you are done you will be surprised how many otherwise useless nautical terms you will know. I personally think that is one of the shortcomings of the modern multi language requirements in models. "Back in the day" they used to actually name the parts you were installing in the construction booklet. Now days they just give it a number. For the most part you don't need to translate numbers, but you also miss out on the learning part that used to be so much the part of building plastic kits. 

I still have many of my old plans for plastic models, dating back probably 30+ years and without exception they are FAR more instructive than plans I see on new models.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Afternoon Lou,

I use to paint for a living (after I retired from my real job) and when people wanted me to paint a room a dark color I would always advise them that darker colors made a room looks smaller and of course DARK. Soooooo.....White it is......

Concerning knowing the technical terms or names,  I agree that I'm building this model for pleasure not an education. I just wanted people to know that I wasn't being disrespectful of the model craft and all that goes into it for those who have done it as a SERIOUS hobby. I am just blown away by the expertise and drive for perfection that I've seen on several of the Build Logs here.

I have, in fact, order a book through Amazon (I'm an admitted Amazon shopping Whore...) called 

The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution 'Old Ironsides' (Anatomy of The Ship) I an interested in the the Connie history and will get to know some of the terms. NOW ....whether I remember them or not is another thing...he he he

51 minutes ago, MikeU48 said:

The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution 'Old Ironsides' (Anatomy of The Ship)

That is supposed to be a pretty good book. I don't own a copy myself. You will want to be careful though if you learn too much you will begin feeling the need to redo the white stripe along the sides in yellow and change to number of windows on the stern and other going down the rabbit hole stuff! You need to remember that the ship is over 200 years old and that there have been a lot of changes in those years. Some better documented than others, but changes none the less.

As for the history, there are so many books written by so many people over the years that I would be at a loss to say what one was my favorite. The one I remember the most and enjoyed was written in 1934 when the Constitution was going from port-to-port around the US and even includes some of the more major events of that cruise.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 10/16/2018 at 4:27 AM, lmagna said:

While the inner bulwarks on the spar deck are green, they would be white in the lower deck space between the gun deck and the spar deck.

Finally did the above painting. Thanks to Jim and Lou for the suggestions. Remember, I usually paint according to the instructions and have not looked at other build logs here so the suggestions were much appreciated.

Installed gun hatches and ropes to hold them open (my fingers are too bigs to try and do the tying.) I instead glued them at the entry hole in the hull and cut the excess off on the inside. Put several coats of glue where the hatch meets the hull to firm up the joints as I understand these can fall off quite easily.

The original instructions say not to glue the gun deck to the hull but seeing I had to join all the deck pieces together for the Wooden veneer I decided to glue the gun deck to the hulls. Another factor to influence the gluing was there is a separation on the starboard center side of the gun deck to the hull.

Used 5-minute epoxy of the 3-inch section that had the gap and Testors liquid glue on the rest. I will give it a third coat later today and let it sit overnight before I start gluing the long guns to the deck. I couldn't hold the hull to the gun deck while gluing so I used 24" cable ties as my son suggested.

We'll see what happens when I cut the ties...lol

20181020_140915.thumb.jpg.7d089368aede008007c6cb304d1571a3.jpg

59 minutes ago, MikeU48 said:

so I used 24" cable ties

I suppose you just had them laying around from the last time you needed to cuff one of your prisoners!:rolleyes::huh:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Jim,

Thanks but it was your suggestion and I'm glad you made it. I had never seen that part painted green before.  Now I can't wait to install the main deck. I figure in a couple of dazes. Got the long guns to glue down tomorrow and some touch-up painting on the sides of the gun hatches.

Moving along slowly but surely. Got the long guns glued to the carriages and 2 of the 4 wheels glued to the deck (60 more wheels to go...lol) Gun hatches glued with ropes attached and started painting the interior walls of the Captain's quarters. At least it's starting to look like a ship.

20181022_084238.thumb.jpg.1ba45da6feff991bbb318697acb3ea0b.jpg

20181022_084224.thumb.jpg.e730e3a3fa259d7a7d16bf811de40dae.jpg

20181022_093606.thumb.jpg.69abe5db523ad7aae6a12ad250387116.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

Nice and tidy - very nice work.

oc.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1