USS Constitution by MikeU48 - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - with sails

32 minutes ago, Jim Rogers said:

Think about Syren Ship Company

High quality,good prices and fantastic service. A no lose situation.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey CDW, Jim and Lou,

Thanks for the comments. Funny that you should mention Syren Ship Company as I just ordered one roll of light brown rigging thread for the cannons on the Spar deck. If I like it compared to what came in the box I may order more but not sure on the lengths per spool. Don't want to "short" order but also don't want to buy more than I need.

Taking a little break while I wait for the wooden gun carriages to come from HiSModel in the Czech Republic.

Had a real pain on the Helm Wheel in wrapping the thread around it as it is supposed to be a functional wheel. Figuring I would NEVER play with the wheel to watch the rudder move, I just glued the thread, tied a know and glued everything to the wheel hub. Replacing the Helm wheel at this point would be impossible as the thread was glued to the hub.

I have used HiSmodel for the accessories as he had them categorized for the USS Constitution 1/96 scale. I would have absolutelly no way of knowing the different size blocks or rigging threads needed nor would I know the number of different blocks. well...I guess I could count them...lol

I think I will try to assemble a few long gun wooden carriages from HiSModel. I originally ordered them for the gun deck. Seeing that they would not be seen, I decided to just hold on to them for the spar deck. Then I realized only one long gun is illustrated for the spar deck and the carriages needed for the main deck guns where different. Ordered those from HiSModel as well. Radek and I are on a first name basis now Lou...lol

He sent me assembly instructions but his English is a challenge at times. He mentions using a dispersive glue on the wood which I take to mean like Elmers Glue. I'm awaiting an answer on 2 wood pieces that I don't find in his assembly picture.

This will be challenging as these pieces are tiny and my fingers aren't...lol

20181029_081643.thumb.jpg.fc1789b9aea3a8492129cd944905e6a4.jpg

20181029_113317.thumb.jpg.f8c2318b077a497a286422d5f13c696c.jpg

A little trick I learned while building RC aircraft models...use the old formula Titebond as it is not water resistant as is the new formula. Why? If you make a mistake (as I often do), I can easily "disassemble" a glued part by moistening it with water. Of course, this is okay for static models or models that will not otherwise be exposed to water. 

36 minutes ago, MikeU48 said:

NOW I just have to find some tiny fingers

Some people call those TWEEZERS! :D:rolleyes:

I'm jealous on your first name basis status. I have not "talked" to him since we discussed a set of custom sails several months ago.

What were the pieces you could not identify on the carriage? 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I did that, Lou, JUST FOR YOU...lol 

I figured it out 3 seconds after I posted the comment. I LOVE THIS SITE....No dry humor here.... he he he You get smacked right between your eyes for stupidity....just kidding... of course.

Here's the pic of the pieces. The red arrows are the mystery parts. Note: there are six wheels. Humm

431228549_LonggunCarriage.thumb.JPG.b392d99a19764e43e768fb4bed51e51b.JPG

This is the assembly pic. The mystery pieces may be glued together under the main frame but never want to guess as none of the other parts are assembled. Better safe than sorry.

1846522047_LafeteAnglicktypsestava2.thumb.jpg.7a6f69e387dbbff4fb3bf26816c7fed5.jpg

Talking about the wedge itself ? Sounds like they are not there on the real ones they are used to glue the guns to the deck instead of gluing the wheels less mess and what mess is hidden.I really like that green upstairs what color for the cannon carriages?

Edited by Javlin

I agree with Javlin.

The two wedge shaped pieces are not really part of a real gun carriage but a hidden base used to attach the carriage to the deck. Not a bad idea when you think about it. 

I'm not so certain about the extra wheels.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, the assembly of the spar deck long gun carriage was a little bit of a challenge even with tweezers. You can see on the pics above that the "axel" for the wheels is square and the wheels have a round hole. Something in the back of my mind says you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. The instruction stated one side of a wheel has a larger hole than the other and to rotate that on the square axle. After many failed attempts I used an emery board to round out the square axle as best as I could because this is a tiny part. Contrary to the instructions I found it easier to hold onto the front piece and axle than when the sides were glued on. At least the carronades will be easier as there are fewer pairs and different wheel mountings. All in all, I am satisfied with the results. I just have to figure out how to attach the two long wedges to the bottom of the long gun carriage. No rush.

Now I await the carronades from the Czech Republic.

20181030_122631.thumb.jpg.bacbce1498f216b368a877ba470c225a.jpg

20181030_090235.thumb.jpg.3c2152977457afb23f570ad884e8f23e.jpg

20181030_085817.thumb.jpg.7f1687975eef085670cda42a42a0c5a4.jpg

Edited by MikeU48

Nice looking guns.

I think I just had a brainstorm. 

(I know, pretty hard to believe that my brain is able to function at all) but I think I now have an idea of what the extra wheels are for. These carriages are designed to be used on models other than the Revell Constitution. On those models the deck will normally have a camber and it was normal to make the wheels larger on one end of the carriage larger than the other to compensate for this. The deck on the Revell kit is pretty much flat and in order to make the carriage look level while sitting on this flat deck it is necessary to use the same size wheels on both front and rear. Does this seem possible to others?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou,

The other oddity is that there are 3 wheels larger than the other 3. I used the 2 small wheels and 2 from another sheet. These long gun carriages would really not be seen once the spar deck is in place. Seeing there are 6 wheels per carriage I imagine the intent was to use 2 large and 2 small with a spare of each. I have an email off to Radek at HiSModel for his explanation.

Well so much for my idea.

From the pictures I thought there were four small wheels and two large.Even though most of the guns will be hidden under the spar deck the size of the front wheels will still kind of determine where the tip of the barrel will be located in the gunport opening. Ideally they should be centered.

I kind of knew that the idea of my feeble mind having a solution to the question was highly suspect. Hopefully we will both know fairly soon.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The way I rounded the square axles: Locate a drill bit the same size as the hole in the wheel, take one of your Dremel grinders and drill a hole in it, now just put the square axle in and hit for a second. Now round.🤗

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

2 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

NOW I can sleep tonight...lol

Night Night!:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey