SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350

As the upgrade set for this is out next month, we're going to start the log with an open invitation to join. You do not need to purchase PE, and I'll post some photos of the Hobby Boss contents, they are very well molded, not the Airfix blobs of our childhood. 

This build covers several time zone of the US, Oz and some place in Europe where Cog is from. Mind you he speaks more languages than me.

IMG_7184.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

SMS Seydlitz 2.jpg

HY86510-2.jpg

Greg

The box contents. the molds are are good as anything Tamiya is making, and there is a fair bit of PE as well, the hull is unfortunately smooth (nothing that can't be fixed easily) and it is missing the side on torpedo tubes as well as a stern one. Meh, that can be remedied.

IMG_7664.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

Greg

Now every photo I post from here on in is open source and on multiple websites so I just can't give them provenance. Its over 100 years ago. Most show battle damage from 1916, but they do show her construction methods.

Warship 14 is available to view on Google Books for free, I just can't publish it. It has her history and other photos.

07870f43c82e7abc83feab11666eed8d--sms.jpg

h02412.jpg

IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7185.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

IMG_7187.JPG

IMG_7188.JPG

IMG_7189.JPG

IMG_7190.JPG

IMG_7191.JPG

IMG_7214.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7651.JPG

IMG_7652.JPG

IMG_7653.JPG

large_000000.jpg

SMS_Seydlitz_89329_stbdbow-drydock.jpg

SMS_Seydlitz-batdam-ptbow_Jun1916.jpg

1-7c5a2fcc3f.jpg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Hey Greg, I really like and admire your builds. Don't know if I should ask this here or not, but you seem to be able to come up with a great deal of different models. Have you ever seen a kit of HMAS Torrens (my avatar, and home for some years), on the market? I must say, I haven't really searched high and low, but maybe you have come across a kit in your travels?

Cheers

Chris

It looks like this is going to be an ambitious build Greg. Looking forward to following along and being astounded yet again. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think there may be some of that class in Resin? But resin is just so expensive (it’s effectively hand made really). Any HMAS post ww2 would have to be modified from a US ship really I suppose as the market is just not there. There is a FB group of HMAS in scale which may help. 

Greg

There is a site with line drawings and pictures of WW I ships and Seydlitz in particular here: http://www.sms-navy.com/bc/sms_bc_seydlitz.htm

A nice hard cover book with one chapter for Seydlitz is: https://www.amazon.com/German-Battlecruisers-World-War-One/dp/1591141915/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537528604&sr=8-1&keywords=german+battlecruisers+of+world+war+one

Greg has found some pretty clear photos, which will really help in placing the anti torpedo nets.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

this is just so perfect........starting the log at this point in time.   these are some amazing pictures Greg....if you can put that much detail into the finished model,  it will be one fantastic looking model!  if all that PE comes to fruition,  the detail will certainly be realized ;) 

I can't wait to see how you modify the hull......... WOW!  :o

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

10 hours ago, vossy said:

Hey Greg, I really like and admire your builds. Don't know if I should ask this here or not, but you seem to be able to come up with a great deal of different models. Have you ever seen a kit of HMAS Torrens (my avatar, and home for some years), on the market? I must say, I haven't really searched high and low, but maybe you have come across a kit in your travels?

Cheers

Chris

Atlantic Models do a great 1/350 scale resin Leander class.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Superb stuff greg,   it occured to me that the ole girl and seydlitz  have met in conflict at Jutland.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 3 weeks later...

So today I’ve started. Upgrades not out till the end of the month but alignments to be made. port holes drilled. Deck need to be less than flush to allow deck to sit below it. Ladder holes to be drilled, torpedo hatches to be added. 

52DD5D5B-670A-4027-832A-8C029B15F176.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

I dunno Greg,,,,that PE may send you too far down the rabbit hole!    here........gimme your hand .....I'll try to pull you out!:o    to add most,  if not all of it,  will definitely produce a highly detailed model  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

In the process of researching the shop, I have discovered the hull has no ladders regardless of that the plans or kit says. The kit has them near the prop guards and stern but there’s are not on the original photos. 

There are sheaves all over the hull not on the kit or upgrade kit but required for the torpedo boom rigging. 

I hate to say it, but there’s far more unpublished photos on FB than on the www. I found this one yesterday I’ve never seen before that actually depicts the red aft funnel, and notice no ladder near the prop guards. 

102170A6-B8EC-48F8-A58A-A6C8CAB1817C.jpeg

Greg

When you know where to look, the stairs on the stern can also be seen on the pic of the hull upside down in drydock.

(the one you posted on sept 21st)

I guess that I don't tell you anything new by pointing out the pics in the German BundesArchiv?

http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1539258885/

Jan

Edited by amateur

Greg,

Another one of your marvels that I cannot let pass. And what an elegant and thorough way of presenting your Build Log, with all these photographic archives and details of the upcoming PEs.  Fantastic job on the forum, to announce an even more incredible Build Log in the future.

Kudos.

Yves

10 hours ago, amateur said:

When you know where to look, the stairs on the stern can also be seen on the pic of the hull upside down in drydock.

(the one you posted on sept 21st)

I guess that I don't tell you anything new by pointing out the pics in the German BundesArchiv?

http://www.bild.bundesarchiv.de/cross-search/search/_1539258885/

Jan

I wasnt aware of it! Thanks. 

Dont forget the comedy duo who are also joining me on this build! Anyone can join! 

Greg

6 minutes ago, RGL said:

Dont forget the comedy duo who are also joining me on this build! 

Is that Mutt and Jeff ? Or Moe and Curly ? ;):D

Torpedo tubes cut in. I placed some card behind them and will add hatches after the primer coats are done. I nearly chickened out but there is no excuse for that. 

There is a port and a starboard side tube. When I did my Emden even Revell had the decency to cut them in. 

40BE1148-0237-4B17-BDD0-896F93261288.jpeg

2D452345-EEB9-44AF-8671-B6BDE7A8B87B.jpeg

Greg