SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350

Did they transport his wives also? I personally don't think I could live with two! I would either have to go to sea or Australia! :rolleyes:

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, cog said:

yups, but you are from Irish stock ... ah ... you don't have humour ...? :P;) 

Nah... no "humour" here in the States.  OTOH, we have "humor"...    I know... hat and coat..  coat_32.png.205908c26e9e2c84a0ce03b80f108512.png

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, RGL said:

One of my ancestors was transported to Australia for Bigamy, I reckon he would have been relieved. 

One of mine was also sent to Australia from Clonmel Ireland for being a political insurgent but escaped in 1791 from Botany Bay with William & Mary Bryant after stealing the governor's 6-oar cutter, sailing 3,250 miles to Timor.  

Edited by Jack12477

So I do t know how I’m going to pull it off yet, but I’ve bought quite a few sets of these 1/700 blocks for the rigging. 

I lived in Timor for 6 months in 2001/02, some of it would not have changed since the 1800’s. 

0D2BA1D8-26D6-473E-996F-941202F4C0D0.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Mark you do like your anacronym's don't you OTOH? On the other hand you don't like typing LOL

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Have an LOL for your LOL.  :P    I'm just lazy sometimes.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I'm just lazy sometimes.

Sometimes? I'm pretty much lazy ALL of the time!

3 minutes ago, CDW said:

We had an acronym for almost everything

I am almost certain that somewhere in military usage there is an acronym for acronym!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

TLAs, FLAs etc   (Three Letter Acronyms, Four Letter Acronyms ...)  :)    When we went to a particular deployment back in the early 90s, one of the first things handed over by the USN was a book of Acronyms (A4 paper, double sided and over 2 inches thick!)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I was chatting with a friend of mine the author of a couple of books Iain Ballantyne, the other day  and even he used a acronym  at me or was it a nautical term  - BZ   yep we know it means  good show carry on.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The USN is pretty good at turning acronyms into words, too. CNTRA is Sinatra? But yeah, we do like those acronyms.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

After 9-11-2001, the US saw the need to implement COOP (continuity of operations) and COG (continuity of government) plans across the entire united states. Every state and local government organization are required to have up to date and current COOP-COG plans in place and to have personnel who are trained and qualified to run (ICS) incident command system structure/systems. Part of the US government's overarching plans include an acronym "bible" which every local and state government must utilize to ensure we all speak the same language and can understand one another.  

Edited by CDW

looks like a lot of goodies in that box!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, check the bottom of page 2. That box is chock full of resin, wood, brass and stainless steel.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Canute shows just how much detail there is, so additionally I’ll do individual stanchions, (the Tamiya metal set will be fine as it’s got two railings, there is a ship’s bell on the forward funnel, and lots of little bits and pieces that be used to enhance it. A lot from spares but it needs a large amount of rigging blocks. 

I photocopied the drilling template so when I stuff it up or pour something on it I have an emergency. 

2EAD525B-797D-4473-9482-D2640CD0A461.jpeg

Greg

2 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

"Metal" on that "plastic" kit

Even the parts have parts, too many parts to part. Gonna knock your socks off when finished, might have to wear sunglasses.:D

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

So, using the template from the instructions, I’ve drilled the holes for the torpedo net booms. 

2 things, the scale in the instructions are out. Regardless you’ll have to use them as the torpedo nets will be the same scale. 

The port side side template is also different to the kits placement of the hull cannons and alignment. 

Finally, the rubbish carbide .3mm drill bits will not cut into plastic as apparently they are for cleaning printer nozzles. I need to find a decent source. 

2EC6551A-97B7-4DC8-B507-FFA8398EE6A0.jpeg

01DBF9DD-88C3-4F6D-83C3-FE0C6E81E8AC.jpeg

0DCF6F7B-F47A-4E1D-8AC6-7D054E3323DB.jpeg

Greg

Carbide steel defeated by mere plastic !!!!! :o  Will diamond tips fair any better <he wonders> ?:(

Interesting template they provided. Looks good so far, Greg.