SMS Seydlitz by Canute, Cog, Stein Gildberg & RGL - FINISHED - Hobbyboss - 1/350 - PLASTIC

I'm forever comparing diagrams to the model............it's nice when they do get it right  ;)    you'll do a great job anyways........who needs a map???? :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

how thick is your primer at the armour plating? If you don't want the etching to be to visible/sharp edged, could it be possible to etch, and have another layer of primer on top, or would that make the etching invisible after painting ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The primer coats are fairly thick (multiple oversprays. As you know, there is a lot of brass to go on the hull so I was never going to add it first otherwise the detail would go. 

The scribing of the panels gives me a guide a guide when I paint (modulation panels) that I can use for chipping on the edges etc. 

that way my mistakes on this build wont have to be yours. 

The armour panels are very stark close up as the ship was ship was in Dock after Dogger Bank where it was absolutely pounded which would have moved them and burnt off paint 

Edited by RGL

Greg

After ripping through half a pack of carbide drills, I'm back to high speed steel bits. But buy in bulk, we'll go thru a bunch with all the drilling. I've got a slow running electric hand drill for all these holes. Can't set up in a drill press and pin vises will take forever.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

kinda makes ya wonder if the task would be any better if it were a larger scale.   nawwww,  would probably mean more holes  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bit sloppy drilling mate, all those curly-wurlies ...

Ken (Canute) comes first, I'm curious as to how he is proceeding ... it is suddenly very quiet in his neck of the woods ........

I got some more deck furniture to add to my RCN Tribal class, and the railing ... after that ... some touch ups, decals and up to SMS Seyd...... you-know-which. CVan only do some basic work as the detailup has not yet been purchased

Carl

4 minutes ago, Osmosis said:

I hope you won't take this the wrong way but..........You Guys Are Insane!!!!!!!

Yep, Certifiably !    Me included !   I decided to join them but not on Seydlitz,  I'm building a US Destroyer in 1:350 scale with PE.  

Not really, my HMB endeavour had about 5000 treenails, but I could drill the wood with a Demel, this is with a Pin Vise. 

I left the curly wurlies as you call  them Cog so I could see where I was up to as I was watching a German TV series at the time and unlike you I have to read the subtitles 

Edited by RGL

Greg

"What a 'boring' (sorry 'drilling' ) activity you guys are caught up in ;) :).   Greg, if you think your drills are having trouble with the plastic try the 3D printed Frosted High detail stuff grrrr! :) 

Looks like you are making some great progress and I am interested in seeing how this project turns out.  I was just reading a little bit about her in a book that I have just completed (about Jutland)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You give me far more credit than I'm due mate ... but you're not far of the mark ... I use the subtitles for German from time to time as I do not use it very often (once a decade)

Carl

5 hours ago, RGL said:

and unlike you I have to read the subtitles 

I'm getting so that it doesn't matter much anymore. I do better with subtitles even in English! My hearing realized that my vision was going away and has been following in the same direction!:huh:

I agree with the others though I can't believe you are drilling that many holes with nothing but a pin vice. I found a small single speed battery operated hand drill at my local hardware store that runs at 450 rpm, bought a micro chuck and when I tried it out on the Indianapolis it worked like a champ. I did the entire port side in less time than it took me to do about ten portholes on the starboard side with a pin vice. I had more control as well and it appeared that there would be less chance of breaking a drill.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Unfortunately at .3mm it’s a slow manual engineering job. 

Anyway, I’ve now drilled every hole in the hull. There’s a lot of brass to go above the waterline. If I tape over brass that has gone on top of primer it will be pulled off when I remove it after painting the lower hull. 

So, time to paint the lower hull. 

Greg

Hey guys, I'm in as well - watching all you crazies making wonderful realistic ship models! 

I read through all the posts but stopped clicking likes so not to inundate your record files.

It's always an enjoyment listening to all the fun banter going on with some good building practices to learn from.

I hope to keep up.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

3 hours ago, Piet said:

Hey guys, I'm in as well - watching all you crazies making wonderful realistic ship models! 

I read through all the posts but stopped clicking likes so not to inundate your record files.

It's always an enjoyment listening to all the fun banter going on with some good building practices to learn from.

I hope to keep up.

Cheers,

So when do you get your kit ...?

Carl