planning next build

Warnerade

HI all

I am fairly new to building ships, and I realize I still probably qualify as a beginner but I would like to start advancing  my skills. I am currently in the process of finishing a Union brigante which came with a preshaped solid hull (can be found in build logs). Prior to this I have worked with model cars and one ship in a bottle.

For my next project I am considering a master Korabel Phoenix which comes with laser cut pieces, including the planks, all fit to size, as I would like to try my hand at planking and figured this would be a good intro into it.

https://modelexpo-online.com/Master-Korabel-Brigantine-Phoenix-1787-Plank-On-Bulkhead-Wood-Ship-Model-Kit-_p_2071.html 

Would assembling this kit give me enough experience to eventually try my hand at something more difficult build? Thinking ahead, albeit very far ahead, I have really taken an eye to the Latina Hermione Lafayette, which by judging at the build logs I've seen, probably a considerable challenge even for the experienced builder.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGCDY

Just looking for a little insight, or if anyone has a better suggestion than the Master Korabel for my next build, I'm open for suggestion...although I'm pretty sold on that kit as of now.

Shawn

Check out the Master Korabel build logs and reviews to see how you like the company's design philosophy. From what I've seen, that kit looks pretty nice.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

That is exactly what drove me to them initially, the laser cut and prefabricated parts seem like it would be a fantastic segway into something a little more challenging in the future. More difficult than what I am working on currently, yet not so difficult I'll get frustrated and leave it unfinished.

Master Korabel do have some interesting and well thought out and designed products.   They (in my opinion) can give a new builder some insight into the finer points of scratch building.   For example, the hull planks are pre-shaped which can give you insight on a scratch build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have never heard of them, so im interested to see other comments

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin,

They're a sponsor here.   There's several build logs and also their topic for products, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Kevin,

They're a sponsor here.   There's several build logs and also their topic for products, etc.

thank you mark, im very impressed

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin, here is a link to a build log as currently underway and it has an “unboxing” video posted within it so you can see everything it comes with. Very impressive IMO

I am currently building the Phoenix. It is a great little build and makes a very nice little ship. In my experience with this ship the laser cut parts are very precise with the garboard plank being the only one you really have to shape. One issue you should be aware of is that these laser cut parts are basically veneers. I tried using PVA glue and all the parts got a severe curl and made them impossible to get glued in place. I had to use CA and it worked fine. Attached phot shows progress to date.

45F90AAB-D2F3-41DA-B588-9926A2AE575B.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Jim, has there been any difficulty with the translation to English in the directions? I think that is my main concern at this point.

The translation leaves some to be desired. Truth be told I wrote technical documentation for Lightweight Torpedoes for the Navy and bad documentation drives me nuts. BUT the saving grace is the written word is accompanied by a good pictorial. Read, look at pictures, re-read. I found it strange that there were no fighting tops, just crosstrees so I added them.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Greenstone, I will be purchasing the phoenix and getting started on it within the next 1-2 months. If I come across any issues I will be sure to let you know and maybe they can be adjusted for future builders. It's great to have you on the site as a resource.