HM Cutter Mermaid 1817 by JamesBhm - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:48 - first build

5 hours ago, JamesBhm said:

BTW...what did you make the mast rings from? I watched a video of a guy making them from shaped and sanded wood shavings.

I'd like to say I made them of wood, but with no where enough skill for items that small I did twisted wire around a suitable bit of dowel, then ran a dremel cutting disk up the wire to provide a series of loops. A bit of solder and a paint job finished it. As the ship isn't viewed with a magnifying glass I'm quite happy with the result. Bowsprit guys and anchor were another item that needed a lot of adjustment until I had a clear run for all ropes.

Rick

Edited by Rick01

I won’t lie…the shrouds and deadeyes just about broke my will. Just a clear weak spot in my skill set. I almost took a hiatus from the build, but I promised Rick I’d get this done so we can both move on with our lives! I read up (and watched a video or two) on the wire jig technique for deadeye spacing, but it was just a struggle with everything moving, rotating, falling, etc. I finally ended up using a couple of tiny globs of polymer clay to help stabilize the wire jig while I got the shroud attached to the deadeye in the right orientation. If I had more of them (or two masts), I might explore some alternate jig engineering.

There was a little bit of a learning curve with the lanyards, but they weren’t as bad. My seizings are enough to cost a bosun his warrant, so I “tarred” them with a little flat black paint. I read on a post that someone liked lines and seizings of contrasting colors because they highlighted the detail. I’m definitely NOT looking to highlight my seizings just yet. I think I may also have a barely perceptible rake in my mast (to port, unfortunately…lol) Not really discernible unless you’re turning the model and scrutinizing carefully.

Also…not clear why the kit has the channels placed above the wale/wale trim with such long lanyards, when in King’s sketch, the channels are below the wale and the upper deadeyes are maybe just below the cap rail. My channels are below the wale. For my wire jigs, I spaced them exactly 3 deadeye widths apart and the upper deadeye height seems right (slight variations notwithstanding).

54-1.JPG

54-2.jpeg

Edited by JamesBhm