RMS Titanic 1912 by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:250

Thanks, David.  I'm finding it really different.  One of the things I notice all the time is the scale.  My previous build, HMS Fly, was 1:64.  This one is 1:250, so I'm constantly noticing the smaller scale as I build.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

nice bit of progress.....the decks look especially nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

All 4 funnels built.  They will be painted later on.  The lines you see are showing through wood filler, so they should disappear with paint.

Regards,

David

4 Funnels.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Bow bulkheads and fittings installed.  The PE brass will ultimately be painted white.

Regards,

David

Bow Bulkhead.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

[NOTE:  for some reason the pics below were saved in reverse order.  Just a note because I reference them below in the order I uploaded them -- but they are shown in reverse order]

One of the issues with this kit is the way the instructions are laid out, and how things are sequenced in them.  There is basically a section of the instructions that references the picture book, and then another section that references the plan sheets -- and they overlap!  So it's necessary to be careful to look ahead in two instruction sections plus the relevant plan sheets and the picture book, to avoid making a mistake in the step at hand.

Case in point is the small deck shown here, which I planked a few days ago (picture in an earlier post).  Now the instructions have me adding a very thin cabin structure, and what wasn't clear to me is what color it needed to be on the sides.  If I just went by the instructions, I'd glue the bare wood, and then discover later on how to paint and decorate it -- or whether it should be painted at all.  The pictures in both books (there is one that shows deck fittings, but not ALL of the decks) don't show it clearly, and if you had to guess from those you'd say that maybe you leave it bare wood.  But of course that couldn't be the way the real ship was built.  So after searching several times through the instructions and plans I found a section much further on that talks about mounting this cabin structure on the deck and painting it white.  The instructions actually read in that sequence, but you'd figure that a modeler would paint first.  The tricky thing is that the cabin is so thin that it would be really hard to keep paint off the side of the deck, or you'd have to mask. 

So once I figured that out, I decided to paint first and then glue on, which still requires careful cutting of the wood pieces and fitting them (using clips to hold in place) before painting and then gluing.  The pics below show the loose pieces cut and painted, drying, then a side shot of the cabin structure, and then what the cabin structure will look like on the main deck (although there are PE decorations to go on it).

Good result, but a note that this kit requires more cross-referencing and reading ahead than other kits I've built.

Regards,

David

Small Deck 3.jpg

Small Deck 2.jpg

Small Deck 1.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

In the "not so fast" and "too clever by half" departments, I've now figured out that my clever solution above wasn't all that clever.

Pic 1 below shows what I missed -- the dark deck edge, that needs to be painted too.  So back to masking and painting, which didn't turn out to be all that hard (Pics 2 and 3).

One puzzler in the instructions and plans is that they show small windows on those thin white edges, but there's no indication of where they come from as there is with every other printed and etched part in the kit.  So more searching plans and instructions -- and after about an hour I found the tiny windows -- attached to railings above.  So those will need to be painted and glued on top of these painted areas, but I think painting these is needed as the fits won't necessarily be perfect.

That leaves two issues.  The first is the etched windows.  In all the pics, they show a colored background "through the glass", which for etched windows is solid brass.  So I think I'll have to use a technique I learned on the Revenge, which is to paint them carefully in something like a medium blue, and then use very fine sandpaper to remove paint from the muntins, which are raised from the background.  This will be needed for all the other windows that will be mounted on other structures at this level.

The other one is figuring out how to mount the window/railing assembly on the side of the deck shown in Pic 4 (blurry, but shows the point), which has an overhang on it.  Not sure how to mount those strips.  Either there will be room to bend the window part back, or I'll have to sand down the overhangs to create a flat side surface.  That may be the best solution, but we'll see when I get to that point, which will have to be before I mount this deck part.  There is zero guidance in the instructions or plans about this -- and it leaves me wondering why that overhang was specified in the first place.

Regards,

David

Edge 1.jpg

Edge 2.jpg

Edge 3.jpg

Edge 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The last step in the instructions before painting the hull is to build the deckhouses, so I've done that (first picture).  In the instructions, these aren't decorated and mounted onto the main structure until after hull painting, but I've decide to do it now as long as I'm in "small parts mode."

The doors and windows at this level are individually mounted photo-etched brass, and if you look at the finished pictures, the windows show a bluish background similar to the printed ones on lower decks -- but they are solid PE brass (see second picture).

I remembered a technique I learned on the Revenge, where I had to paint a large stern emblem with raised "frames" like the windows here.  The technique was to paint the whole thing, and then when it dries sand it with fine paper, removing the paint from the frames but not the recessed panes.  Tried it here and it worked like a charm.  See third picture of my mounted test window.  I used a cobalt blue.

For the rest, I can gang paint them while still attached to the PE strip, and then I'll have to still individually sand them.

The hard thing is going to be getting all of these perfectly aligned and spaced, particularly on the long cabin.

Regards,

David

Deckhouses.jpg

Window 1.jpg

Window 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I figured out how I'm going to keep the windows aligned.  In the first picture, I have made vertical marks representing the center of the windows, by holding the structure up to the plan drawing.  I then measured horizontal marks under them at 2.5mm above the bottom.

I then taped just under the marks to give me a 2mm height above the bottom.  The tape gives me vertical alignment, and the vertical marks allow me to place the windows properly horizontally.  Picture 2 shows the work in progress, and picture 3 is the finished result.

I now feel better about tackling the long cabin windows and having them come out looking good.

Regards,

David

Align 1.jpg

Align 2.jpg

Align 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Small deckhouses built and decorated.

Regards,

David

Deckhouses A.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've now decorated the large cabin structure with windows and vents.

Positioning the windows to keep them aligned was a bear, even with tape as a guide, because I used CA gel and it sets fast so I had to align and get them vertical quickly.  PVA glue would allow more adjustment time, but I was concerned that the windows might come off either as the model ages, or with any side contact.

I think the next step is hull painting.  

Regards,

David

Large Cabin 1.jpg

Large Cabin 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

nice job with the window alignment ;)   they look really good!    you'll really see the impact,  when all the parts are joined together on deck :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Here's the hull, taped for painting, and after the first primer coat.

It's winter here, and while I've painted my other models in the garage in milder weather, my basement workroom isn't well-ventilated, and the fumes are pretty strong.  So I ordered a small but high CFM flow exhaust fan that I can put into a window.  It comes Thursday, and no more painting until it's in.

Regards,

David

Taped.jpg

First Primer Coat.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

know how you feel Dave........I'm in the same boat ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

I see you're in Manchester, which is even colder than here in Boston.  FYI, the little fan I ordered was $35 on Amazon.  I plan to just open one of the small basement window and put it in as needed.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I used to go in the cellar to paint.......I open the window above the work bench.   but second floor brings her grand kids down there to do her laundry ....afraid they might get into something,  in case I leave a hull down there {for example}.   they don't vent the dryer either.......the cellar's a mess.  the admiral was kind enough to allow me to bring my scroll saw into the spare room........it's been there ever since ;)    if I can vent one out a window,  perhaps I can come up with a booth or something.  the weather has definitely thrown us all a curve.......these past few days has been wet,  our snow is almost gone.   dunno........depending on what I'm going to paint,  I may chance it in the cellar  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

sorry........thanks for the head's up

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Re my earlier comment on an exhaust fan -- here's a picture of the $35 fan I got on Amazon, mounted in a 12x12 shipping box, which works fine.  I attached a handle to the sliding basement window so that I can pull it open and close it again.  Fan moves 220 CFM.

I just added the second coat of primer and this little fan works really well.  There are fumes at the start, but they get dramatically reduced after a few minutes.  

Regards,

David

Fan.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've installed all of the portholes, doors and scuppers on one side.  All of this brass detail will be painted over in black.  There are a LOT of portholes to install!  The Titanic nameplates aren't on yet.

Regards,

David

Porthole Close Up.jpg

Portholes First Side.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The hull is now painted black.  I found that when I went to sand the paint off the nameplate letters, the 2 coats of spray enamel were too thick, and I ended up taking some paint off the background and surrounding areas.  So I repainted the nameplates with acrylic (brush), and that sanded off nicely.

It's a flat black on the hull -- the flash just makes it look a bit glossy.

Regards,

David

Black Hull 1.jpg

Black Hull 2.jpg

Nameplate 1.jpg

Nameplate 2.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

the name plates came out nicely..........great paint job  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Before painting the bottom of the hull red, I need to install the sides.  As much care as I took to leave enough room when building the structure, when I went to dry-fit the photo-etched sides and their backing, they didn't fit -- just.

So I had to grind down the underside of the deck, and also grind off some of the PE siding, and now it fits -- tightly.  This has to be painted before installation.

Regards,

David

Dry Fit Side.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

More on the sides.  The photo-etched brass sides mount on thin plywood, and the instructions suggest painting that black or blue to give background and depth to the windows.  So I did -- used blue.

But as you can see in the first two pics below, the ply backing doesn't come up to most of the windows.  So you have a nice blue background for the small portholes at the bottom, and the larger windows would be uncovered and black -- except where one or two vertical frames show through, which makes it look unfinished.

So when I sprayed the plywood, I also sprayed some white paper.  I'll cut that into strips and attach to the back -- the first one is shown below, and the result for that first strip in the last pic compared to the uncovered windows.

This works because those vertical attachment points don't line up with the frames, so I can glue the paper to them without worrying that I'm weakening an attachment point for the bulkhead.  Those vertical points are part of attaching the brass to the wood.

Regards,

David

Side 1.jpg

Side 2.jpg

Side 3.jpg

Side 4.jpg

Side 5.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

She's starting to look like an ocean liner now.

Regards,

David

Liner 1.jpg

Liner 2.jpg

Liner 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

really nice :)   there is a site that is devoted to the Titanic....might help you with the paint colors.  well,  I had one,  but for some reason or another,  it is gone.......domain problems  {go figure}.   I did post some of the charts and mixes for the colors used on her though.   if your interested,  you can find them here:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks, Popeye.  The red hull color I used looks pretty similar to the photos of the Amati model on the box and in the manual.

Re the other colors -- my yellow matches the pre-printed yellow stripe, and I am pretty good on the other colors (green, gray, black and white).

As might be apparent, I'm not a total stickler for complete historical accuracy.  🙈 🙉 🙊

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

it's there if you need it  ;)    really like what you've done so far.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some deck detail completed near the bow.

Regards,

David

Bow Deck Detail 1.jpg

Bow Deck Detail 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area