RMS Titanic 1912 by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:250

she's look'in good David ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Cabins now installed on the deck; cranes and detail installed near the stern.

Regards,

David

Cabins 1.jpg

Cabins 2.jpg

Cabins 3.jpg

Cabins 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

she coming along nicely............very well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

More detail installed on the deck.

Regards,

David

Deck Detail 1.jpg

Deck Detail 2.jpg

Deck Detail 3.jpg

Deck Detail 4.jpg

Deck Detail 5.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Tom:

All of the details are part of the kit.  It's an Amati kit, and I have found their kits to be very high quality.  

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I hope everyone is having a great holiday period.

I used some of the spare time to work on the funnels, and they are now all up.  She's beginning to look like a real steamship now.

The stays won't go up until some of the deck detail is finished, as they would be in the way.

Regards,

David

Funnels 1.jpg

Funnels 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

looks great David :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

„She was the larges craft afloat and the greatest of the works of man.“ Futility

written 1898 and telling the Titanic story including the collision with this iceberg at forced speed.

Your build is wonderful and you get the most out of the kit. 

Please remember the massiv riviting on the hull plating. Good plans can be found here: http://www.titanic-plan.com/i_HW_plans_e.html

Hope this helps.

IMG_20181227_000802.png

IMG_20181227_000352.png

Edited by Heinrich der Seefahrer
Pictures added

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Heinrich:

Thank you -- the pictures and plans are very interesting.  I see the rivets, but I fear that I'll never have the patience to get that much tiny detail into my model.  🤪

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Perchance the scale isn't worth it...

But noew you have got the plans enlarge them up to 1:48 and the riveting will make your day 😋...

"Let's add every day 1/2 hour of

modelship building to our

projects' progress..."

Take care!

Christian Heinrich

OverTheWaves.jpg.534bd9a459123becf821c603b550c99e.jpg

simple, true and inpretentious motto of ROYAL LOUIS, 1668

Sunking's mediter. flagship most decorated ocean-going ship 

Ships on build:

SAINT PHILIPPE, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - Lavente flagship (based on Heller SR - 1/92 & scratch in 1/64) 

TONNANT, 1693: 

1st rang French 90-gun ship - sister of SAINT PHILIPPE (mock-up/test-object for S.P. - scratch in 1/64) 

Projects in planing:

L'AURORE, 1766:

French Pleasure Corvette (after Ancre plans - scatch in 1/64)

Some Spantaneous Short Term Projects

Finished the stern poop deck.  

Regards,

David

Stern 1.jpg

Stern 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Bow detail finished.

It's New Year's Eve here, but Happy New Year to all and especially to our Australia/New Zealand friends who are already into 2019.

Regards,

David

Bow Detail 1.jpg

Bow Detail 2.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've installed the stanchions on the upper decks -- a couple of pics here.

A sequence issue:  I had to install two small lifeboats now (see pics), because the funnel stays would be in the way if I did those first,  But then I have to do the stays next, because the davits for the rest of the lifeboats would make deck attachment really difficult.  Then I'll install the lifeboats.

Speaking of the lifeboats -- I think way back in this log someone commented that they thought the use of plastic boats was inappropriate for a kit of this quality -- but as I have painted them I've found that they look nicer than some metal boats I've painted, and hold very fine detail as you can see.

Regards,

David

Stanchions 1.jpg

Stanchions 2.jpg

Lifeboat.jpg

Plastic.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

at least you have clinker hulled life boats.........some folks with that thought in mind can't find them,  let alone easily make them.  look at how many there are!.......    you said the magic word.......paint.   a flat paint will cover over plastic nicely and give realistic results.  try doing that with metal......especially that Britannia metal.   the boats can be stained too,  with the use of washes and clear coat.....flat.

how larger are they?   so far,  I'm on my third order to find clinker boats for my 1:124 Thermopylae......none have suited my fancy so far.   if I keep this up,  I won't need life boats for quite a long time  :D 

very nice work BTW!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

The lifeboats are 38mm long.  If that fits, I would expect that Ages of Sail could order some from Amati for you.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I've gotten a couple of orders from Cornwall.....ordered a pair from Billings to see if I'd get lucky,  but that was a lost cause :rolleyes:  I looked in Ages,  but I didn't see anything.........I'll peak in again,  maybe I missed something.  thanks!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

I wasn't thinking about what Ages of Sail normally shows -- if the Titanic lifeboats work for you, my thought was that you'd have Ages of Sail order 1 or 2 plastic sets of the Titanic ones like you saw in my picture.  They are Amati's US distributor, so they might be able to do that.

Each "set" comes with 7 of the 38mm lifeboats, and two smaller ones that are 33mm, plus a tenth item that is Titanic-specific.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Here's one of the lifeboat davits not yet painted and dry-fitted on the deck.  This is a five piece brass assembly with a lot of bending, but it's not too difficult.  I think these will add some real detail.

Also a pic of the funnel stays, which are now finished.

Next steps are to finish all the davits and paint them, then add eyebolts to the lifeboats, and then mount and rig them.

Regards,

David

Davit.jpg

Stays.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Before going into mass production on the lifeboat davits, I wanted to make sure I understood how it all comes together, so I did two davits and one lifeboat and mounted them.  Result below.

The stern lifeboats (like this one) hang partly out from the deck.  The bow lifeboats mount flush to the edge of the deck.

Regards,

David

Lifeboat 1.jpg

Lifeboat 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the lifeboats on the starboard side.  I'm pushing to finish the boat, because I go away at the end of this week for 5 weeks and want to have it done before I go.

Regards,

David

Bow Lifeboats.jpg

Stern Lifeboats.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

the life boats look great!  you also gave me an idea about the guy wires to the funnels.  I have the Academy kit......the wire pass through the holes in the deck and come back up to run the next one.  what is happening,  is when I start to fit the deck in place {all this is done off the model},  the  wires either go limp or a few of them are pulling out of the holes....the glue isn't holding them.   it will mean that I may have some reconstruction to do,  but I will use eye bolts instead.........don't know why I didn't think of that before :default_wallbash:   

I like the way you think!  ;)    do the sprues have part numbers?  thanks for the tips here......it may just bring her back to the table  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

Thanks for the comments.  You asked "Do the sprues have part numbers?"  What's a sprue?

Thanks,
David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

:D  :D  :D  the sprue is what the boats were molded to.   injection molding.........either the sprue has a part number,  or there is a number in the instructions.   do the instructions show the diagrams of the sheets {wood and plastic} and detail the part numbers?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye:

OK, got it.  I gave you measurements for two boats.  The larger one is 2960, and the smaller one is 2961 (they are called "dingy" and "cutter" respectively in the English instructions.  These part numbers are unique to the Titanic kit.

If you call Ages of Sail, ask for James.  He's really good, and sometimes they keep an open kit around to cannibalize for missing parts.  You might be able to persuade him to sell you a "sprue" from that vs. ordering from Amati.  Two "sprues" come with the kit.  

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

will do........thanks for the heads up  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

TITANIC IS FINALLY FINISHED!

I have posted completion pictures in the Gallery of completed kit ships, but I couldn't resist this one that shows the "place of honor" for this model in my office.  Ensures that I will look at it multiple times each day.  😁

A few final construction notes.  Some of these you'll see better in the Gallery pictures:

1. The kit instructions use a plain wood dowel painted brown for the masts.  Couldn't stand that idea so I found a walnut dowel of the same size and used that.
  2. I bought a finished walnut base.  The kit includes a MDF base, but I've never figured out how to make one of those look like wood, and I didn't want a black base under this one.
  3. You'll see a yellow stripe down the side between the white and black parts of the structure.  This is in the box picture, but not in the instructions.  I did it by using the planking strips, which were perfectly sized, and pre-painting them.
  4. Even conserving the supplied rigging thread, I ran out after rigging the Marconi antenna and didn't have enough for the leads down to the ship, so I used some spare from another kit.

I wanted to get this done this week as we are headed off for 5-6 weeks for a long Asia trip.  When back and time adjusted, I'm going to do the Dumas Chris Craft Commuter next.  Should be a different challenge to get the finish right.

Thanks to all who have followed this build -- for your encouragement and help.

Regards,

David

(55067) 20190110_163053.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area