RMS Titanic 1912 by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:250

She is well deserving of her place of honor David.

Enjoy your vacation and don't forget to take pictures for those of us who are a bit more restricted in our travels.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks to Chris, Steve and Lou.

And Chris, if you worked as fast as me, your models wouldn't look at beautiful as they do.  I am selective in my picture taking to not expose my more awful "goofs".

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

great job Don.........you finished up rather quickly  ;)    amazing looking model!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Complete?

I guess so, otherwise it wouldn't be in the "Gallery."

Awesome build Sir, and I echo Denis, damn fast from "Whoa to Go!!"

(I'm hoping to "Plagiarize" your Sanson build, at least take some initiatives.... 🙂) (I think, your Sanson is the only one on this site.))

Enjoy your Holiday!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

13 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

I'm going to do the Dumas Chris Craft Commuter

Oh! I'm looking forward to that one -- I love that type of craft.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Congratulations, buty titanic :)

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to add a postscript to this log, (hope you don't mind David) I have just finished the same model and with effort she certainly builds into a very handsome beast. I won't post any pictures of mine as they will just look the same. I did try to light mine with varying success as some lights are too bright and some too dim. The portholes are so tiny that the lighting effect doesn't really show.

Anyway, many thanks to you David as your log has been invaluable. This model is definitely not for the novice as you have to refer to written instructions, a photo album and eight sets of plans all at the same time. Planning ahead is essential and you really do have to work out what order to do things in on your own.

Having said that it is a very good package albeit rather pricey and do be careful, there is no extra anything with this kit which makes mistakes very costly. A really good challenge for all you master builders out there!! 

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

David,

Excellent !!! nice work. Love the lifeboat davits - great detail as Denis mentioned.

Congrats, 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Mike:

I'm glad the log was helpful to you.  I really enjoyed this kit -- and in fact have enjoyed everything I've built from Amati.  The quality is really first class in their kits.  On the Titanic box, it says "museum quality", and if you don't mess it up, that's what you get.

I have seen some members refer to the group of those who have built a Swan class ship (either Pegasus or Fly).  Maybe we can be the start of the group that has built the Titanic.  :P

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

It's a bit late for me to do a log now David as I have finished the ship but I like the idea. I agree generally about Amati kits, I have made Revenge as well but they are mean with their wood and all the bits and pieces, deadeyes, rivets, o pins and the like so you either need a nice stash of bits or beware of making mistakes or losing any!! 

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Mike:

Your experience with Amati on parts is different from mine -- on all my Amati kits I have had a lot of leftovers in terms of wood, blocks, rope, etc.  Now my Mantua Cutty Sark is a different story -- I have had to dip into my "stash" lots of times.

Regards,
David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 11:02 PM, puckotred said:

The Strips are a pain in the a$$... Why they didn't do them laser cut I don't know. Had I known about these I'd might bought some other kit. Apart from that it IS a wonderful kit... 

The bow is too narrow but no one I know has any knowledge about this so I don't care 😊

IMG_1701.jpg.e744571db85cf2a4499542ec54792371.jpg

I have bought this kit and started building now about 10 years ago! Though a fan of the Titanic, I have not much experience with model building. I got stuck in this part, applying the bow strips. No idea how to do it and fearing I would forever destroy the model at this stage, I parked the project and the ship was slelved for many years. 

Now I plan to continuw working on it but still need some advoce about putting the bow shelves on... Do you have any advice? I will insert an image of the current stage of my model! TIA :)imageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3b55ae31fcd018

titanic_amati_scaled.jpg

Edited by klaasvg
Adding image

Klaasvg:

Not sure what you mean by "bow shelves".  Have you looked back through my log to see what I did for the part you are concerned about?

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks David for your reply. I actually meant the hull shelves, which are apparently difficult to apply. I am reading now through your log and see that there is apparetnyl missing some information in the manual. Also I read that some of the bulkheads were not correct, making the bow too shallow. This cannot be corrected anymore for me, apart from not having the materials for that so I hope it sill not be a show stopper... I will continue reading your posts and hope for some clarity sbout this subject! :)

If you mean the hull strips that you cut out, I think I used some CA medium and instant setting spray to help that process.  Use a sharp set of scissors (good kitchen or office scissors are ideal) to cut them out.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

18 hours ago, drobinson02199 said:

If you mean the hull strips that you cut out, I think I used some CA medium and instant setting spray to help that process.  Use a sharp set of scissors (good kitchen or office scissors are ideal) to cut them out.

Regards,

David

I think the hardest part is to make the hull planks fit by tailoring them in shape for the bow and stern. The manual mentions this very shortly on Photo Album Pages 10-11: 42)
"As the planking neas the bow there will be the requirement to taper the planks to allow them to lay alongside each other, this also applines to the stern"".
This is actually the part I got stuck some years ago, the planks are too thik to cut with a normal pair of scissors, is will probably be possible to cut them with a stanley knife  but still you need to know exactly how to cut them. Did you use some big pair of scissors or another method? 

Klaasvg:

OK, I looked back in my Titanic log and remembered how this ship is planked, and I think we've been miscommunicating.

The section of the manual you are referring to deals with the FIRST layer of planking.  For those, when I needed to taper, I used a planking vise.  Marked the start and end of the cut and then put it in the vise that way and ran a knife along the vise.  If you don't have a vise but you do have a steel ruler, you can use that and run the Stanley knife along the ruler -- you just have to keep it from slipping, which is harder on long cuts.  Clamping the ruler onto the strip can help.

The scissors part refers to the second layer, which really isn't a "layer' but is strips cut out of the large piece of thin board.  You paste the template onto the board (I used Gorilla spray rubber cement), and then use sharp office or kitchen shears to cut the strips out.

To see my first planking, go back to my October 20, 2018 entry in this log, and then follow from there to see how the second layer strips go on.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks again David for your quick reply! Indeed I an still in the early stage of the first layer of planking. I noticed already that the planks must be tailored to fit neatly when nearing the bow and stern. I do not yet have the best equipment but I gave it a first try using a stanley knife. I notived that the planks not only need to be tailored, but also are too think. Or maybe I need to file/sand the bulkheads of the bow and stern to make the planks lay a little deeper and also glue better? This will probably be a length operatino using only a file or some sand papter. Or can I use another tool for that?

For now I stopped after the first plank, I can probably still choose another approach if this is not working. On my photos you cna see that the plank does not really aligns smoothly with the rest of the structure. If you have anyt advice on this it is surelyy welcome, tomorrow I can eventually buy some extra tools if needed :)

Regards, Klaas

IMG_20191222_180018.jpg

IMG_20191222_180006.jpg

Edited by klaasvg
Second upload failed with -200 code

Klaasvg:

Not sure from here, but it looks like you need to taper your bulkheads a bit more.  Use a sanding block or sandpaper on a block of wood -- or you can use a Dremel rotary sanding drum if you take it carefully and check.  When I do mine, I take a piece of planking and lay it flat at the center of the boat (no glue), then bend it around to see how it lies, and then take the bulkheads down on gradually increasing angles, checking my work with the dry plank as I go until it aligns and there is a good flat fit with the angled bulkheads.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Ok thanks a lot again David, I will surely give that a try. Not sure whether I shall buy a Dremel sanding machine for this project only.... but good old sanding paper should do it too I suppose. It wll definately take some time and practice...

One more (hopefully last) question about the bulkheads. I understand that bulkheads 3 to 8 are malformed, I have the PDF file which shows the missing parts in red. In my project they are definately also malformed but they are in place already. Is it  really crucial to corret this? I do have a (very old) fretsaw and can possibly get a pieve of triplex of the right thickness so if it is really an essential step I will give this a try too. I suppose a very strong superglue  will be needed to put them in place with only the small sides touching each other!

Regards Klaas

Klaasvg:

If you look above to the picture from Puctored, it shows the shape of the bow with the original uncorrected frames.  At the end of this log or in my gallery pictures of the Titanic, you'll see my bow and can decide if the difference is worth it to you.

If it is, then if you go backwards in time from the post I referenced above, near to the beginning of this log, you'll see how I used laminated strips to correct the frames.  I suspect you could try that on the frames you have mounted -- but looking at Puctored's picture above, I doubt that it would be worth it.  I'd just go ahead and use the frames you have.  It's certainly NOT critical.  You may need to soak the first layer planks to get them to bend at the point where it narrows.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 7 months later...

Hi David 

I'm thinking of buying this again, I had it few yrs back but then had 3 kids and had no time for it. 

Would love to build it again but my question is could it be built by putting in wee small lights, so it could light up at night, and where is best place to purchase complete pack

Many thanks 

Keith 

• 4 months later...

Flavia:

I left the deck natural and just used clear satin polyurethane varnish.

It's a great kit.  Enjoy it!

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 5 weeks later...