Vasa by BLACK VIKING - De Agostini - 1/64 scale

Hi.

This planks are from kit? In the photos watch is to big.

And the planking watch good, but....

planki poszycia angielskie i holenderskie.jpg

planka dupowa.jpg

wasa_41.tif

Edited by Wiktor.L

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

Hi Martyn,

Just catching up - have been away for a month + (a new employment situation got in the way) Back to a routine now - so will have more time in the evenings to stay current as well -- Very nice progress she is looking very goo indeed.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Michael glad to have you back m8 and thanks for the comments. The second planking has now been completed and sanded down and I have started marking and cutting the scarf joints and loads of them to do so this might take a little time. 

Thanks again for looking in and the likes 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes guys.

A lot more work done on the Vasa .

The scarf joints have all been completed and the strakes fitted. The top of the doors for the main deck and the frames for the bow doors are made of metal and the instructions say to paint them brown but I didn't like the thought of that so have covered them with some thin strips and then stained them with the same varnish that I used for the deck . Next job a light sand of the outer hull and staining, hopefully some time this week.

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is a really nice build. I will follow with interest.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

17 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Id like to come back to your scarf joint tool. If i understand it correctly, it works just like the stamping, right?

Hi Pav the tool leaves a mark in the wood then I cut them with a scalpel blade just to make them look more pronounced. Thanks for looking 

Martyn

Martyn,

Excellent hull & deck planking work :imNotWorthy:

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Martyn,

I am at the same stage as you and will wait in interest to see how your staining comes out as I still am unsure wether to paint the hull or do it as the 1:10 scale model has done the finish .

Eddie.

Current Projects: Souvereign of the Seas by De Agostini

Sciabecco. By Amati

Finished projects: Port Jackson by Modellers Shipyard

Botter boat by Amati

King of the Mississippi by Artensia Latina

Endeavor by Artensia Latina

Very nice work there so tidy.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I will echo the above comments and say well done indeed! The scarf joints along with the treenails and bolt location patterns are very neat, clean and uniform. They really make the planking look sharp. :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Looks great.

Very nicely done

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the likes and comments guys 

A bit more done on the Vasa .

The hull has been stained with one coat of natural oak and two coats of mid oak and the nails picked out with black stain. I have replaced the ladders with wooden ones as I didn't like the PE ones you get with the kit . Painting of lots of carvings has now started in earnest, oh my poor old eyes lol.

cheers for looking in 

Martyn 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Martyn,

Nice work -

This De Agostini Vasa does indeed appear to be THE kit to build. I'm tempted to revisit this ship, but I would end up with an international

real estate war. My sweetheart is from Brasil and I'm originally from France haha - My current one is still without a future resting place

and then with Vikings next - hmmmm :default_wallbash: 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Looking good. That's some very intricate painting and very nicely done.

First Completed Build: San Francisco (Original Version)

Current build: Victory Models HMS Pegasus

Cross Stitch Project (Finished): Battle Of Agamemnon and Ca Ira

Cross Stitch Project : Victory & Temeraire

On 3/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, md1400cs said:

Martyn,

Nice work -

This De Agostini Vasa does indeed appear to be THE kit to build. I'm tempted to revisit this ship, but I would end up with an international

real estate war. My sweetheart is from Brasil and I'm originally from France haha - My current one is still without a future resting place

and then with Vikings next - hmmmm :default_wallbash: 

Martyn,

I totally agree with Michael!

Excellent work and I wish I built the ship using this kit!

Frank

Hi all and thanks for the comments and likes.

The Deag Vasa is a super kit to build but is still missing a few details ie the small ports for messages down on the lower hull and the masts are wrong but apart from that it's a cracking ship .

I have done some more painting. The carvings that go under the beak are PE and take a lot of patience to get right. To make sure the paint didn't come off it was cleaned with IPA and primed with etch primer then all the details painted on . It will be left for a couple of days to harden up then glued to the beak . Not sure what glue to use as it needs a bit of wriggle room to line up with the backing so CA seems to be out so any help would be much appreciated .

Thanks again for looking.

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Beautifully painted.
I use CA glue for PE parts.  This is indeed difficult, to glue everything neatly in the right place.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

CA would be my go to, you just have to make sure everything fits perfectly before gluing. However, you could also look into a slow setting epoxy glue as that would give you more work time but will hold very tight once it sets up. Typically, they are two part epoxy that you mix together. Depending upon the ration of the mix determines how fast they set up.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Take a look at this
Apply PE parts is easy ..... (for some of us)

Regards, Patrick

Cheers for all the likes guys.

A bit more work done on the Vasa 

The stem has now been built and painted and the messenger port cut into the side of the hull as Deag seems to have missed this out?. I have also fitted the rudder as the instructions tell you to fit it later in the build when all the galleries are glued on and I didn't like the thought of leaning the ship over while trying to fit it . A bit of a heads up the rudder pintails are very hard and snap easy unless you soften the metal first by heating them up over some heat and letting them cool slowly, hope this helps.

Back to painting lots more carvings.

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not posting for a while but life gets in the way.

Any way on with the build . Lots of painting and fitting of the decorations on the side galleries and Stern and boy some of them are small . The stem was painted and the PE fitted . I have started rigging the guns with one pulled back so I can show how the Outhaul tackle was used to pull the gun inboard. Next job finishing the guns then on with more painting.

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Beautiful paint work. It looks like you have spent what time you had available for the build well. Great job! :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Martyn,

Woa!! for a moment I thought that you had added photos of the 1/10th stern as an example- then realized!! -  it is your brilliant painting details - 

You've set the bar very high for this kit - well done :imNotWorthy:

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Thanks Michael for the brilliant comments  B) A bit more done on the Vasa . All the guns have been rigged and rope coils made. The masts I have been making over the last few months have been installed and the rigging started. First up the stays and now we have had some nice weather I decided to do some outside for a change. I have changed the stays from the instructions as the upper ones where wrong as they were just tied up to upper masts without blocks. Once these were completed I started on the shrouds, the instructions were also wrong as they show the shrouds tied singularly and not in pairs as they should be so I have done mine in pairs. 

More to follow and thanks for following.

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by BLACK VIKING

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

Some more work on the Vasa . The rigging has been started and have completed the formast. The mainmast yard with the sail has been rigged before the shrouds where put on as the rake of the shrouds would make it hard to get to the hallards so decided to do them first. I had to make the ramshead block as instructions for the rigging is totally different from what's on the real ship . To break up the ratline tying I painted some more carvings and placed them in their positions. Looking at the Vasa book I noticed a fixed block on top of the mizzen chainwhale that takes the bottom sheet from the mainsail so made some up from some wood stock . The forebrace and mainbrace have been rigged so it's back to ratlining. 

Thanks for following 

Martyn

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg