I plan on working on the HMS Triton in Autodesk Maya for my UCONN Digital Media Design Final Project. It will be an ongoing project that will take me a couple of semesters. 

BUT I do have a MAJOR question. I am working with the plans. I have to convert them to JPEG rather then PDF. But some of the vocabulary is unknown to me. Is there a list of parts somewhere that I can look at not of the Triton necessarily but some other ship that I can identify and know what I am working on. I've never really done anything with Wooden ships before. Thanks. I'll post some images soon. Jim 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

hello Jim. nice to see some more 3d builds around. being a newcomer to shipbuilding world myself I can tell you, this whole old naval naming convention is giving me headaches as well, and I'm 1 year, 5 months into my 3d build currently. 

there are a lot of books that can help you with everything you need to know. you can find more info using forum search, and some nice soul might drop a list or two here. go through my topics, in one of them, I can't remember which one, there's a mention of few essential books. but if you're not willing to, or can't, spend money, Google is your friend. just be prepared to do a lot of reading and intel gathering ... a lot!! ;)

good luck! 

Edited by herask

cheers!

Denis

Current Build: HMS Pandora 3D modeling

Swan Class HMS Pegasus for Admiralty Models 3D Build

My other 3D work: Artstation

If it's books, I can recommend Wolfram zu Mondfeld's Historical Ship Models.  There are some errors in details but essentially it covers pretty much everything in period ships.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another option is Falconer's Marine Dictionary - it is available online for free.  It is easy to read in this version.  Describes all the terms and has some useful drawings.

http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/title.html

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)