Size of 3-pounder gun barrel in 1/48 scale

Hello everyone,

may anyone help me please. I’m going to build a 1/48 scale british revenue cutter and having trouble to identify the correct size of a 3-pounder gun. Most scale guns seem to be oversized. I remember a 3-pounder gun having a gun barrel length of about 5‘ , is that correct? That would be about 30mm for the correct size of a scale 3-pounder barrel in 1/48 scale - equal to a 6-pounder gun barrel in 1/64 scale.

Edited by captain_hook

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

From Lavery " The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815" " The eighteenth century 3-pounder was between 4ft 6in and 6ft long". Using 5ft my math indicates between 32 and 33 mm so 30mm should be fine.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

Hello Captain Hook,

I made a compilation of gun sizes ( Armstrong Frederick-Design ) of 1760. Dimensions in Imperial and conversion into metric.

Some details of carriages ( also in German language) from various sources as well. All in a xls sheet. I will try to turn the 3 -pounders on my small Unimat-3 lathe.

I'll inform about results later. I'm working on Af Chapman English cutter. 987593148_ArchitecturanLX.thumb.jpg.d0faaea1fdfbbe8d1d64368923feeded.jpg

Armstrong-Frederick Cannons Umrechnungen.xlsx