Deck planking approaching stem - Decrease in width?

Hello,

I'm tinkering with the HMS Triton in my free time, and am thinking about the deck planking patterns.  I understand that the deck planks would narrow as they approached the stem.  Does anyone know to what degree the planks narrowed?  

Alan

If I remember correctly, it was 1/2 the width of the plank.  The planks would be nibbed into the waterway.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Alan

I'm not sure the planks would be nibbled into the waterway as Mark suggested, this was a later arrangement with the advent of power saw mills etc, Druxey mentions this in his comet book

If you have twenty planks amidships you would need to taper them to fit at stem and stern where they come down the side if their width would be less than half the plank they were scarfed into the next plank, hope that makes sense see below at the right of the windlass 

20180906_192504.thumb.jpg.ff3fa28f270f834ac85e4369e29cf172.jpg

20180906_192222.thumb.jpg.7654e64ceac2832b55e8968796e9d4df.jpg

And here in the bow

Hope that helps

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Paul is correct for the era of Triton. The 'dropped' planks at the sides were hooked, as shown nicely above. You will, as master shipwright, determine the layout and taper yourself.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks guys!  I'm good to go with the hooked plank concept, and have already drawn out a planking pattern.  Now I'll re-draw the pattern incorporating planks narrowing towards the stem.  I'll post in this thread when done. (I'm also going to tell my wife tonight that I'm a master shipwright).  :)

Alan

I'm also now debating my plank width in general. What general width do you guys things the king plank should be, as well as the standard planks?  It looks like gundeck planks could be up to 12', but that king planks were also 12'?  

Alan