Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

It has been several years since I put a halt on my project. I have now started back up on this kit, wanting to finish it. I forgot just how heavy this kit is! I am always viewing posts from time to time envious of seeing all those finished builds so I thought it was time to dedicate the time to finish this project. I had never started a diary from the start of the build since these types of forums were new to me at the time. I will surely do such as I begin to complete this kit, and with some kits in waiting, but for now I want to finish this beautiful kit ( next project either Euromodel's Friedrich Wilhem Zu Pferde, or Sergal's Amerigo Vespucci). Now it is time to work on the masts, and spars. I had purchased separately the sails from Sergal so I will incorporate them into the finished kit.

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

Nice work John. I've Merged this topic into your old build log. You can add to it by Replying in the box at the bottom of the page rather than starting a new Topic for each update.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

• 5 months later...

Starting to rig the ship. This will be one tedious job. Next photos I hope to post will be of the spars with folded sails. I think having sails brings more life to the ship, but folded. For the rigging lines that are over 1mm diameter I could only find in beige color so I used SAMAN wood stain to color the rigging black. Saman is a water based stain. I soaked the lines in the stain overnight, and then rinsed it in water. I then repeated this and got a good color out of it.5b074a25f3d40_IMG_13501.thumb.JPG.78ab66a8ccaf17d683a4415f6a9338df.JPG 

• 4 months later...

It looks absolutely fantastic.

I am wondering how do you keep asteady arm when tying the rat line across.

I actually laid the lines on a jig and tied them on the flat before hanging them onto the vessel.

Not surewhich is the best way.

cheers

Current Projects: Souvereign of the Seas by De Agostini

Sciabecco. By Amati

Finished projects: Port Jackson by Modellers Shipyard

Botter boat by Amati

King of the Mississippi by Artensia Latina

Endeavor by Artensia Latina

1 hour ago, Snoepert said:

It looks absolutely fantastic.

I am wondering how do you keep asteady arm when tying the rat line across.

I actually laid the lines on a jig and tied them on the flat before hanging them onto the vessel.

Not surewhich is the best way.

cheers

the jigs are fine is thats the way you want to go, but when securing to the deadeyes it could create a problem in getting the tension right, or ratlines that are no longer horizontal, i have found the above way gives a decent result, and the only way i know,

The lines on the card, ensure they are straight, and the card also allows the eye to focus on the job, rather than be distracted 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Dear Kevin,

I use tweezers, and the hard white carboard which adds a support to my hands when tying those clover hitch knots. Also doing the ratlines at about eye level helps to balance. Being in a comfortable balance between arm position, and work makes a world of difference, because it will be tedious work.

Regards, John

John,

Catching up - I had forgotten how superb of a build she is. :imNotWorthy:  And yes if you could back fill this build log that would be great.

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Dear Kevin,

Snoepert is correct. The white cardboard that you can get at an art supply store helps you focus on the work. It would be far more difficult to work with the background, and you would not be able to gage the accuracy of the lines. Also, working each line on the ship allows you to adjust the tension of the lines, and makes the build more realistic. I found a wonderful tweezer at Walmart for just $5. It does not damage, or risk scarring the lines.

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Regarding all that gilded metal work are all of those bits "right out of the box" or did you do some filing and extra detailing before attaching to the ship?

Regards,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Michael most are from the kit, but the transom was cut out for the window pains, and a thin sheet of clear acrylic was used for the window pains. The back detailing required a lot of extra work in cutting out the windows, and forming the transom. What was great about the fittings was that it is solid bronze so one could do a lot of filing, and bending into shape to fit using heat to soften the bronze.

Beautiful ship she is! Very wel done. I noticed difference in colour of the hull and the planks between the Wales, these are much lighter. Is that the same wood (walnut) or did you use woodstains?

great build!

Peter

Peter, I managed to obtain different color grades in walnut, and used stain to get the final colors. The blue is a mix of Saman water based stains to get the right shade I wanted. I never use paint on wood. The top coat is oil based from Minwax (Natural). Golden Oak, Ebony was used for the hull sides, and mix of Dark Walnut & Provincial & a touch of Mahogany to get the lower hull shade.

Regards, John

Edited by john_weiman

13 hours ago, john_weiman said:

Peter, I managed to obtain different color grades in walnut, and used stain to get the final colors. The blue is a mix of Saman water based stains to get the right shade I wanted. I never use paint on wood. The top coat is oil based from Minwax (Natural). Golden Oak, Ebony was used for the hull sides, and mix of Dark Walnut & Provincial & a touch of Mahogany to get the lower hull shade.

Regards, John

If you're using stains to avoid the grain obscuration of paint, you might want to try aniline dyes for their much improved clarity over pigment-based stains, and with a kit of the basic primary colors you can make any shade you need. I use alcohol-based so grain isn't raised.

And by the way, your ship is stunning :)

Then you'll definitely fall in love with aniline dyes, it's what guitar companies use to dye their guitars because it doesn't obscure the pretty grain of their quilted tops at all. Another thing I like is that although it looks like it penetrates, it doesn't- the color is right there on the surface. So if you dye something and you don't like the output, a couple of minutes with sandpaper and it's all gone and you can try again. If nothing else it saves on test pieces.

I generally apply with a rag, wait for 30 seconds or so (with alcohol solvent things move quickly), and then wipe excess, I find you can get some weird surface effects if you just spread and leave it on. Repeat until you get the tone you want. You can even generally go back lighter by wetting the surface again and rubbing it immediately and if you do get some undesired effect it's also solved by rewetting and wiping.

Below is a neck radius sander on which I used aniline dye.

20181210_034838.jpg

Edited by vossiewulf

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Beautiful work! Well done!!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild