Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - 1/72 Scale

My wife wouldn't even notice it if all I said was "Block It". I have lived most of my adult life in much more crude environments than you I suppose and if I bother at all, (Which is somewhat seldom) my choice of words tends to be a little more descriptive. Your choice of words reminds me of Winnie The Pooh and his "Oh Bother".

It does remind me of the first month or so after I came back from a year overseas with no women in sight and found I could no longer talk at all in mixed company!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

12 minutes ago, lmagna said:

My wife wouldn't even notice it if all I said was "Block It". I have lived most of my adult life in much more crude environments than you I suppose and if I bother at all, (Which is somewhat seldom) my choice of words tends to be a little more descriptive. Your choice of words reminds me of Winnie The Pooh and his "Oh Bother".

It does remind me of the first month or so after I came back from a year overseas with no women in sight and found I could no longer talk at all in mixed company!

Dont get me wrong lou  I can and sometime do swear  - but when I do I take myself in the garden and give my self a good tellng off  normaly using colorful language  - that normaly sorts it  - the admiral  does well  she has her  crude words down to every second word  - so she is doing well.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I was once told by someone, I don't remember who, that the use of cuss words is just a sign of someone who is uneducated and does not have enough command of their native language to properly express themselves. I have struggled with my language attempts ever since. My eventual goal is to vent for at least two minutes without ever saying a cuss word. I had  a drill sergeant who could almost do it. He had the ability to belittle you for it seemed an eternity without ever saying a swear word. To top it off he only stood about five feet tall!:o

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Off and running! Well, at least your mistake was an easy to fix one. I apparently like to challenge myself and cut the wrong ropes when they are in hard to reach places and require the growing of three additional hands in order to mend. :)

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

it's all part of the territory........some handle it better than others ;)   as you get into the art of rigging,  you'll find other ways to repair ropes and tie offs     looking good so far  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

15 hours ago, lmagna said:

Ah yes.  Fond memories of changing from Military English to Civilian English.     And also of the nervous laughter and shocked expressions when asking someone to "pass the f****** massed potatoes" as the welcome home party.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jeeze........and to think I fancy myself as a drunken sailor!  errrrrrr.....you mean mashed...right?!?! :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Military English to Civilian English

I knew there had to be a name for that!

I suspect that it is more like "Military, (Insert language of choice) to Civilian, (Again language of choice)". At least I hope guys all over the world are not better behaved than us more primitive Colonials!

I also prefer massed potatoes! Piled high with  LOTS of butter, possibly some gravy as well.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

58 minutes ago, cog said:

French/English spud

????????????? Are they good? Always looking for new menus!

We pretty much use the words spud and potato interchangeably here in the US. Or at least I do. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Spud is sometimes a persons nick name  over here.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Right then  - all you  spud eaters  and everyone else,   I did a   tiny wee bit  this evening  consisting of gluing the foremast inplace, and  trimming some of the forestay  excess rope off  - then passed it through the loop of the bowsprit block.

So next stage I guess will be to start the shrouds   ((Gulp))  - I understand I need to do the first two nearest the bow  on the one side  - then repeat  for the other side  and repeat moving two deadeyes at a time going towards the stern  - fun times me thinks.:o

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

20 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Dont get me wrong lou  I can and sometime do swear  - but when I do I take myself in the garden and give my self a good tellng off  normaly using colorful language  - that normaly sorts it  - the admiral  does well  she has her  crude words down to every second word  - so she is doing well.

OC.

I was of course joking about the admiral.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

32 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

That is a new use to me.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That is a new use to me.

Yup, its my son's nickname, as in;

"Oi, Spud, what the "£$%^& hell you playing at?"

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Ah yes.  Fond memories of changing from Military English to Civilian English.     And also of the nervous laughter and shocked expressions when asking someone to "pass the f****** massed potatoes" as the welcome home party.

Cripes, I did that in front of my Mom, after a year in a giant fraternity house in Thailand. Got my mitts on some fresh, hot corn on the cob for dinner one night. Asked Mom for the bleeping salt. Wham, my little 5'2" Mom back-handed  6' me onto the floor. My Dad and sister were roaring in laughter, Dad in sympathy with me (he fought in WW II) and my sister just laughing at my buffoonery.:blush:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

OC.

I've heard in the past used as a nickname here in the States.  Not recently though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

when doing the shroud line,  start with two on the right,  then the two on the left.......continue the back 'n fourth until done.  if you end up with a single line for each side,  you just do a half knot and drape them to their perspective side.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just adding my little update  -  so the shrouds have began,    I used  the same thread I used on the forestay  and past it through  the  gap between the masthead,   I then tied a knot towrds the top creating a farly tight loop, while putting some weight on the ends,  I repeated the same on the other side the applied a  dab of glue to hold then inplace around the masthead.

Just a few pics  as requested.

OC.imageproxy.php?img=&key=8f45093723bba175

DSC00087.JPG

DSC00088.JPG

DSC00090.JPG

DSC00089.JPG

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thinking ahead  - I need to fashion   (anyone remember that group) ?   back on track  -  make a guide out of a bent pin  to hold both channel and shroud deadeys  lined up so I can attach the first shroud  - then the same the other side  (I know im not lacing the deadeyes together yet)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all   -  thank you for all the likes and comments, as we all know  its the inspiration that motivates all of us,    anyway  I  worked on my first shroud rope assembly  - first I  made a  device for holding the right gap between deadeyes,  for this I used some thick fuse wire  - when I set the gap I wanted I ran the shroud rope down and round the bottom of the deadeye - holding the return of the rope taut,  I added a few drops of ca the applied a bit more to the top of the deadeye - and pushed both ropes together to close the gap where the return of the rope was.

I then tied a knot using fine black thread then round a few runs and glued over the fine thread,  so first shroud with a deadeye attached and lashed.

This was repeated on the other side  -  then it was the turn to lace the channel deadeyes to the shrouds,   first I de-fuzed the thread using some watery pva that I just ran along a length of thread between my fingers - this smoothed the thread and made it slightly easier to pass through the eyes,  so I did a few dry attempts  but discovered I had to lace it a slightly different way starting from the shroud deadeye and not the channel one - all this means is finishing at a lower hole to run the thread up to lash and glue around the shroud/deadeye link.

So I managed to do the very first one both sides inluding trimming the finished ends.

Here are a few pics  (if they load that is)

DSC00091.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

DSC00093.JPG

DSC00095.JPG

DSC00096.JPG

DSC00097.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

22 minutes ago, zappto said:

This is excelent work on rigging,  keep up good work! 

Thank you so much.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

By jove, I think you've got it.  Looking good on the shrouds.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

11 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

By jove, I think you've got it.  Looking good on the shrouds.

Thank you sincerely mark,    its one of those "hold your breath moments"    I thought I had messed it up when I  had a slightly different hight difference to the other side, so I just pulled the rope away from the deadeye slightly re-aligned and re glued.

When I do the rest of the foremast shrouds, I will fit all the shrouds around the masthead, but then do the last deadeys on the channel (furthest starboard Not the sole one for the higher masthead)  that way I can tension the mast ready to tension the forestay on the bowsprit,   and get a tensioned triangle -so to speak.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

30 minutes ago, CDW said:

Rigging is such a mystery to me. It would be slow going as I would need to look up every detail to learn how it's done. You are doing a beautiful job it it.

Thank you so kindly  - its a learning curve to me,   quite litterly  learning as I go along  - never done anything like this before.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

5 hours ago, Wallace said:

You should patent that spacer O.C. 😂

Just a piece of fuse wire  - I am trying to make up something more substancial though  - fuse wire bends a bit too much.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.