Old Collingwood

Black Pearl by Old Collingwood - 1/72 Scale

One of my favorite phases to see is when they get their guns installed. Transforms them from a large barge of floating lumber to a war machine. Looking good!

5 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

One of my favorite phases to see is when they get their guns installed. Transforms them from a large barge of floating lumber to a war machine. Looking good!

Thank you EJ,   its kind of like a mile stone,  just need to trim back the breach ropes sticking out of the bulkhead and touch the holes up,  then  I can move on to the row of lids/ropes.

OC.

22 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Cannons looking great OC!  Are you doing hauling tackles?  Must be pretty tiny at 1:72.

Thank you jason  - much appreciated,   I do have the hauling rope assemblies included in the lit - they are pre molded ones, they could in theory  be dropped in place/glued at each end.

OC.

looking good OC  :)   are you going to put that theory to work?   those cannons look so lonely ;)   it would be hard to come up with blocks in this scale....let alone rig them {oh,  I'm sure they are out there somewhere}.   good that you can avoid the hassle.

45 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

looking good OC  :)   are you going to put that theory to work?   those cannons look so lonely ;)   it would be hard to come up with blocks in this scale....let alone rig them {oh,  I'm sure they are out there somewhere}.   good that you can avoid the hassle.

Yeah,   I have the plastic tackle that is in the kit, might have a go a dropping them on.

OC.

My little supprise prezzy turned up from my brother  (as a thank you he says)  to say I was  gob smacked is an understatment  - Its only the Trumpy  1/350  HMS Monmouth  Frigate  and a few detail bits.😀:dancetl6::dancetl6:

Instruction from the admiral  - cant start it till the pearl is finished  at a guess  2020 then  lol.

Here are a few pics of it  -

OC.

DSC00013 (2).JPG

DSC00015.JPG

DSC00016.JPG

DSC00014 (2).JPG

That should keep you off the streets and out of trouble for a while.

Just tell the wife that you need to start it so your brother doesn't get upset that you are not building it. That way you can send him progress reports and maybe he will stay in touch a little better in the coming year. Win win all the way around.

(Good luck with that argument) :D

23 minutes ago, lmagna said:

That should keep you off the streets and out of trouble for a while.

Just tell the wife that you need to start it so your brother doesn't get upset that you are not building it. That way you can send him progress reports and maybe he will stay in touch a little better in the coming year. Win win all the way around.

(Good luck with that argument) :D

It looks like a Superb kit  - very tidy molding  - I peeped inside while the admiral wasn't looking.🤪    and all the  PE.

OC.

You might have as much fun as I with the WWII Tribals ... Peter Hall has some very nice PE. Got the stanchions from him too (steel). Maybe I should have looked for barrels , but at the size for these destroyers, I wonder if you can really see the difference.

Nice kit, nice gesture, al the more reason to keep at the Pearl. You may find some details lacking, but you'll probably still have some PE leftovers you can jugle with to add those

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, cog said:

You might have as much fun as I with the WWII Tribals ... Peter Hall has some very nice PE. Got the stanchions from him too (steel). Maybe I should have looked for barrels , but at the size for these destroyers, I wonder if you can really see the difference.

Nice kit, nice gesture, al the more reason to keep at the Pearl. You may find some details lacking, but you'll probably still have some PE leftovers you can jugle with to add those

Where we used to live we used to see  type 23 frigates almost every day, sometimes more than one movement a day,  here is one of my pics taken from that time  -

OC.

HMS Argyl-2-2.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

now.......now........see,  your already having fun with it,  and you haven't even started on it yet  ;)    better you put the box on top to the refrigerator.

that's what my mum used to do with the cookie jar.........:ph34r:

14 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

now.......now........see,  your already having fun with it,  and you haven't even started on it yet  ;)    better you put the box on top to the refrigerator.

Think Im gonna finish the pearl minus masts - I'll tell the admiral  she had no masts   (she was just imagining that she did)  think I now the answer to that  ####@@@@   etc etc  followed by a week sent to coventry.😬

OC.

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

Didn't help much I reccon ...

9 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

well.....OK........as long as you rig the cannons  ;)     no...........your not getting out of this THAT easy!   she'll skin you alive :o

She won't skin him, than he will be useless to her ... Coventry is much better ... she could also send him to the Netherlands ... on foot :D

Ah, the temptations of new models... I'm not very good at resisting that call as is evident by the multiple builds I maintain. Still, you never want to anger the admiral. She can cast you ashore and leave you stranded with no ship or hope for one. I've learned that if I keep mine happy, she lets me use the good ship Visa to buy more ship stuff which in turn keeps me happy.

Okay, I've said the correct things. Now I can say that I am looking forward to seeing you start that build! All that PE will really make it a spectacular model! I will be watching for that log as the Pearl finishes up. :)

We all have numerous tools and jigs at our disposal to help create these models we enjoy so much and that, along with the experience we gain both from other kindred spirits and our own fumblings makes this an enjoyable pastime. BUT, another factor never to be forgotten is the effect the Admiral can certainly have on this existence. She also has means at HER disposal to turn the whole thing around and is a key "player" in the whole affair. 

That was just my 10 cents worth :)