The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
Wallace

HMS Victory by Wallace - Corel DM 23 - 1:98 Scale

Hi, I am back again but this time I have taken on a nice challenge.

My brother purchased me this wonderful kit for my birthday (which is tomorrow, October 3rd) because of something that happenned 42 years ago!

I had built an airfix (plastic) model of the ship back when I was 15. My twin was a little jealous (I guess?) and once it was complete he smashed it. It is something that he has regretted all these years. So, for my 57th birthday he redeemed himself in the best possible way. The kit arrived from Australia this morning. I am very excited!

20181002_163514.jpg

Posted (edited)

Before I even begin to think about the build I am going to have to "decipher" the instructions (rather badly translated from the original Italian). After that I will be building a rig to ensure that the bulkheads, once assembled, are nice and square to the hull. 

This is going to be a meticulous and therefore slow build - I want to get this right. 

I had done some  research regarding the "required" literature (or at least some of it) for this build. Right now, I am thinking that these 3 books will help me:

20181002_170847.jpg

20181002_170844.jpg

20181002_170841.jpg

Edited by Wallace
Spelling correction

Perhaps you should consider a fourth one: john mckay, anatomy of the ship, the 100 gun ship victory.

Probably more usefull than petterson ....

Jan

Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2018 at 9:10 AM, amateur said:

Perhaps you should consider a fourth one: john mckay, anatomy of the ship, the 100 gun ship victory.

Probably more usefull than petterson ....

Jan

Thanks for that input Jan. I shall go look that book up right now. I got really lucky with the "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships" book - listed at $60 online, got it for $9.53 used at Barnes and Noble. Let's see if I can have that kind of luck with that one. 

Once again, thank you sir. 

Edited by Wallace

I'm pulling up a chair to follow this build ifn you don't mind Mark.

Someone pass the popcorn!

I am sitting here looking at this very kit on my shelf so I will be following this thread with great interest.  Good luck.

48 minutes ago, 6ohiocav said:

I am sitting here looking at this very kit on my shelf so I will be following this thread with great interest.  Good luck.

Thank you sir. 

18 hours ago, nikbud said:

I'm pulling up a chair to follow this build ifn you don't mind Mark.

Someone pass the popcorn!

I don't mind at all Paul - save some for me though, may need it now and again :)

So, the journey begins……

I am in the process of “deciphering” the little instruction manual that came with the model. Before I even begin to think about assembling anything I want to have any and all necessary info in a legible, concise order (just call me OCD why don’t ya).

On top of that I decided to do a quick inventory of the items in the kit. On checking out the bulkhead alignment on a dry fit with the keel I did notice a slight error in the cutout:

20181009_100854.thumb.jpg.cc19d80a1f8496e85a526a199c5e6f60.jpg

Having followed other logs on this build (JPett was a great inspiration and his log will certainly help with the beginning of this build), I am confident that a quick sanding to mate the part correctly will not have an adverse effect on anything relating to these parts later on in the build. I did a quick dry fit of the other bulkhead pieces and noticed there too that some minor adjustments are going to be necessary.

20181009_102107.thumb.jpg.42fd375f8a4b6f74cbd3aee6d26c8a08.jpg

It is my intention to dry fit the bulkheads and square them up to the frame, ensuring that everything is 100% correct before applying any glue. I am going to construct a platform (once again influenced by JPett and others who have done this build) that will keep the keel straight and allow me to get the bulkhead pieces nicely squared up). Like I said at the beginning of this log, I will be taking baby steps on this one.

Throughout my “inventory check” I did come across a small discrepancy (if you could call it that). I am using the book “HMS Victory – First Rate 1765” as one of my references for this build. In there it talks about the number of guns on board the ship at the time of the battle of Trafalgar.

20181009_103208.thumb.jpg.c27284d62b93f30046b4d84b6c9e3178.jpg

I counted the available cannons in the kit and found the following:

1419061593_20181009_1013122.thumb.jpg.6470b58c94fd7fa9f882d6181671f826.jpg

I had 20 smaller cannons, complete with their gun carriages (one of which was in need of a quick repair-

20181009_102544.thumb.jpg.8cea00445ad505e1dc6e7da68034e730.jpg

I also had 80 larger cannons. Along with the 2 carronades that will be mounted on the forecastle (HMS Victory carried two large 68pdr carronades on port and starboard sides of her forecastle), and unless my math is off that totals (only) 102 cannons overall. If we are going to be accurate about the build (and isn’t that the whole point here?) then this would seem a bit off don’t you think? Any feedback on that would be appreciated. Yes I know it is very early days yet and I won’t be tackling the gun placement for a while yet but it was something that did jump out at me.

20181009_102043.thumb.jpg.a7adb3df02aa8702f2b14696faf4bc1c.jpg

I wouldn’t worry about it. If you want total accuracy, Corel probably isn’t the way to go. The kit is a couple of decades old now. 

I have the same kit, by the way. Not starting it just yet, though. 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:55 PM, Jobbie said:

I wouldn’t worry about it. If you want total accuracy, Corel probably isn’t the way to go. The kit is a couple of decades old now. 

I have the same kit, by the way. Not starting it just yet, though. 

Thanks for the input. The way I see it any kit can be "enhanced" to perhaps better fit the original. I guess artistic license allows us a certain leniency too, within parameters of course.  

Back to the Shipyard........

With the help of michael101 (thank you my friend) I was able to get started on the board and jig that will keep my keel straight while I insert the various bulkheads.

20181016_105916.thumb.jpg.20afb3c834303f9c3d7c73e7f529fcfa.jpg

I laid a straight strip down on the one side of the board and screwed it down (making sure it was square). I then laid the keel up against it and fitted my (home made) angle pieces up against the keel on this side, again making sure everything was square. The next stage of the operation will be to remove the strip from the other side and fit the remaining angle pieces to that side of the keel. I will be making a separate L bracket for the front end - images to follow. All the pieces are going to be dry fitted and checked before this kit sees any glue.

Again, my thanks go out to michael101 for allowing me to pick his brains on this one. My jig would have looked a little different without his input.

Oct. 18th 2018

Welcome back to the shipyard!

Well, it certainly looks like I have my work cut out for me (please forgive the pun). I started to dry fit the bulkhead pieces to the keel this morning. It looks like every one of them will need a little work before they fit snugly in place. What I am not finding anywhere in these plans is a precise measurement for the height of the bulkheads. From the other build logs on this site that I have read through I find no mention of this at all. There was a mention in this log (HMS Victory from Corel by challenger86) about the deck angle being wrong at the dry fit and JPett (who is also doing/done this build) gave Robert his input from his experience. That being said, I still have no clue about the bulkhead height. Any input would be welcome guys.

My HMS Victory is an old kit (1991).  It was first generation laser cut.  I did a considerable amount of trimming to get the frame to go together.  I still wound up with some difficulty in getting the decks to align properly.  If I had it to do again, I would dry fit the framing, with the deck pieces in place, using the inboard profile for reference, to get the correct positioning of the bulkheads.

I ended up with some massive waves after my first layer of planking that I had to use a LOT of wood filler to take out, because I didn’t do this.

Among my other lessons learned is that I should have used filler blocks at the bow and the stern to help properly shape the hull during planking.

Victory was not my first ship build, but it is certainly the most complex project that I have ever undertaken.  I am getting good at adapting and overcoming problems.

1 hour ago, GrandpaPhil said:

Among my other lessons learned is that I should have used filler blocks at the bow and the stern to help properly shape the hull during planking.

Luckily this kit comes with bow and stern fillers, although having read through other build logs on this kit it is evident there will be a lot of sanding to do to get them to fit. 

I made the mistake of not really doing a proper dry fit on my last build and, like you, I had a lot of irregularities after the initial planking. We live and learn don't we (or are supposed to anyway). I will dry fit all bulkheads to the keel before getting any glue out, hopefully avoiding any issues related to that further on down the line. 

It's always a good thing starting off very slow, studying all parts and dry fitting, no doubt. I've spent countless hours just visualizing and assessing those bow and stern fillers. What I purchased from Home Depot was an oscillating belt sander (kind of a desktop version) which allowed me to shape those fillers to fit, as those were the trickiest, obviously after getting those ribs in place and such.

This is a fun build, I've been at mine a while, loving every step of the way....going slow I might add.

Cheers,

Rob

2 hours ago, challenger86 said:

It's always a good thing starting off very slow, studying all parts and dry fitting, no doubt. I've spent countless hours just visualizing and assessing those bow and stern fillers. What I purchased from Home Depot was an oscillating belt sander (kind of a desktop version) which allowed me to shape those fillers to fit, as those were the trickiest, obviously after getting those ribs in place and such.

This is a fun build, I've been at mine a while, loving every step of the way....going slow I might add.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

Having looked at the bow fillers I can only agree that some type of sander would come in very handy. I do have a belt sander sitting on the desk in my wood-shop, perhaps if I am real careful (more concerned about my fingertips here) I can at least do a preliminary shape with it. 

I am in no rush with this one either. I fully intend to take real small steps and double check everything before any final fitting. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I don't even want to go there :) 

Later on in the day………

I spent the best part of the morning and the early part of the afternoon today sanding and dry fitting the bulkhead pieces. Some of them required more work than others. I also noticed that I had a curve in my keel, which was sorted by clamping it before fitting the bulkheads.

20181018_144216.thumb.jpg.743c20152d3d537c50a261f19497d8eb.jpg20181018_145307.thumb.jpg.20cc8accbf287e3d4b5a209fe094cc8a.jpg

While dry fitting I saw that there was a problem with the fit of numbers 12, 14 and 17. #17 and #14 went together quite well but when I added them to the main keel the angle of #14 was causing it to interfere with #12. The fit for #17 into the top of #12 was not all that great either. It would appear that to make #17 fit correctly the “tongue” needs to be adjusted but once this is done then pieces 12 and 14 will interfere with one another. Am I seriously missing something here?

20181018_140046.thumb.jpg.d5937b87dc840d563effe52e4e89f303.jpg20181018_140317.thumb.jpg.b7e4708bc429016a60981bf15521b7b9.jpg20181018_140359.thumb.jpg.c62ec4b50196b96a5a75461cda74532f.jpg20181018_150105.jpg.cdaf2428487ebc6e1d3acc6e3a28fbb3.jpg

Despite all that, I did go ahead and dry fit the remaining bulkhead pieces. They went together without any real issues.

20181018_150129.jpg.472653c74c86e06e7067b98749fc8d71.jpg

20181018_150149.jpg.48f6748ef6e0f51d8f6ac771842bcd47.jpg

Edited by Wallace

Very nice jig ! 

About your problems , 

the part 17 must be fitted with the keel , 

but you must make sure that the outside line of both of the parts are on the same line !!

also the inside line must be the same line ( it looks like the part no.17 is out of the inside line (the slot line ) you must fix it befor the next stage , if not the bulkhead will not fitt 90 degrees !!

about about the problem with the 14-12 it looks a bit strange , because any way how the plank will touch the bulkhead 14 ? The step between 14-12 its ver big !...

check againg in the plans also in mor build logs how it looks in the back 

btw you doing well !!!! Keep asking questions and learn more about every step , 

in hebrew we say , when you understandings well the problem - its half way fo the solution!

Best regards !

Michael.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:44 PM, michael101 said:

about the problem with the 14-12 it looks a bit strange , because any way how the plank will touch the bulkhead 14 ? The step between 14-12 its ver big !...

Michael,

There is a piece (#13) that sits in between numbers 12 and 14 so the gap would not be that large. That being said, I will recheck the fit for #17 and line it up with the back end of the keel. Once I have this sorted I would like to think that this gap issue won't be too much of a problem. I shall address it tomorrow afternoon, I have a guy coming for some wood tomorrow so I will be felling trees tomorrow morning. 

Edited by Wallace

October 22, 2018

Welcome back!

After a long weekend chopping lumber and a day (today) recovering from that (not as young as I used to be), I spent a part of the afternoon trying to get my head around the stern fitment issue. Looking at the plans the gap at the back of #14 does seem much larger, not the case on my model:

20181022_145706.thumb.jpg.84053684dc79e3afbed516939610b324.jpg20181022_145718.thumb.jpg.113c60f80b01dd94fb0669ab4ead55de.jpg

This led me to believe that perhaps the laser cutout in #17 was at the wrong angle…… I matched all pieces involved up with the drawings and they all fit nicely.

20181022_144617.thumb.jpg.69e8c9fc663b409f14e448b819e9390b.jpg20181022_144924.thumb.jpg.b663414e3893ec426d8f8ffe7ff2ad3d.jpg20181022_145329.thumb.jpg.5e889812f5e840c202c1adcf1ee7ef72.jpg

20181022_145156.jpg.8a362ecf15900734546d35b7fdfcdef8.jpg

Something else that appeared to be way off was the way #17 was actually sitting in the keel. It didn’t seem straight at the back at all and there was a large gap where it butted up against #12.

20181022_145028.thumb.jpg.68b1fe2e93f2aadf4e84d4f6b01c8546.jpg

So, I have decided to square off the bulkheads that do fit, and send a letter to Corel, complete with images and see if they can figure it out. I do not want to go ahead and start shaving wood off to make this fit, only to find out further down the road that it leads to more problems. I am wanting to move ahead with the build but this holdup cannot be "short cut", like I said it will only lead to more issues later on. If however anyone out there can see a solution that I am not seeing then feel free to pipe up, it would be appreciated.

Being such a long time ago that I went through this part, I may have simply modified this section slightly to get the nice angle required.

Question for you, regarding the 'rope inventory' that came with the kit. Can you confirm for me what you have (sizes) in your kit? I seem to have an extra size and don't remember what was actually in the box. What I think I have is this:

2.0mm 

1.2 mm

.8 mm

.5 mm

.25 mm

I was quickly measuring (from plate 1) what the main rigging section of the three masts (lower section) is needed and the legend says 1.2mm for this. (#296 from plate 8). So quick calculation from Plate 1, using 1.2mm rope, I think I would need roughly 1000mm and I measured my role of 1.2mm and seem to only have about 700mm.

36 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I checked my Victory’s stern framing for you, but mine is made differently.  Sorry

5C23076E-0D9F-4E37-8D13-8A067169E37D.jpeg

Thank you anyway sir, very kind. 

1 hour ago, challenger86 said:

Oooops, calculation conversion mistake...it should have been over 10000 mm not 1000. So I have about 7000mm of 1.2mm rope.

Robert, I will go check that for you tomorrow when I am back in the shipyard sir. 

14 hours ago, challenger86 said:

Oooops, calculation conversion mistake...it should have been over 10000 mm not 1000. So I have about 7000mm of 1.2mm rope.

So, I got all the rope out this morning to inventory it. I measured the 1.2mm rope and I have 580cm (5800mm) of it here in the kit. There seems to be a whole lot more of the .80mm and even more .50mm. Dumb question Robert but are you sure you are using the right thickness or did they perhaps make an error in the print?20181023_085159.thumb.jpg.33516b7c28d8773bfaf5c2ba0222513d.jpg