MS Progress by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:50 scale

Denis,

The Craftsman brand is in the process of being bought or maybe it has already been bought.  Google it, and you might find an online store.   You might also check out The Olson Saw Company and also SawBird (might be two words though).  I don't have a link but as we say.. Google is your friend.   

If they don't have the size blade, get the smallest size the have and if you can, cut the blade down to size.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks for the tip Mark.......I haven't made it over to Sears.......but from what I'm told they are gone.  I do still have a package of them,  so if I have to go on a scavenger hunt,  I'll have something to go on.   I can't alter them........the ones I need have a pin on each end,  to fit into the saw's jaws.

I just looked them up.........saw bird is a bust.   they only carry the 5".........I need 3".   Olsen Saw is my best bet ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis, some of the ACE Hardware stores are carrying some of the Craftsman brand; also Lowes, but I think mostly the wrench sets in Lowes. I think Black and Decker bought the line.

Edited by Jack12477

sorry I didn't get right back to you Jack.......I had to run off to my dental appointment.  I read something about the sale a while ago.......didn't follow up on it then,   but shouldn't be too hard to find info.  I was told by a few folks that the last couple of weeks that Sears was open in the mall,  was seen as a badly disheveled store.  stuff was everywhere........in piles and totally disorganized.  I won't even go near the mall at this time of year........they alter the way in and out,  and the ordeal took me three hours to leave,  the last time I went on a holiday.   thanks for reminding me......I have plenty of blades at the moment,  but I think they are all wide.

927060804_scrollsawblades.jpg.4c2c1454ec29247b731dce8de4f8464d.jpg

the one on the left is the wide blade.........the one on the right is the narrow blade.   I like it because I can cut tighter curves with it,  without binding or stopping the saw {I've done it before}.   I have to do some searching ;)    either that,  or I'll get another scroll saw..........it's as simple as that.

I had some pictures.......an update for the progress,  but I lost them.  clicking the wrong destination.....they are likely off to never never land.  I hope to find them :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

the search for the pictures continued........the admiral joined in the search.   with my finger on the shift button,  I can right click and send the pictures from the camera,  anywhere I want in the computer.......I always put them in the pictures folder.  for some reason,  the computer was running slow,  which caused me to send them to a folder I never use.  trying to find it was futile,  since where they went off to,  I had not made an account to log in....but.....the admiral did  ;)   since this was her old computer,  I went into her partition.....into her user folder........and there they were! :) 

I have them now.......set and ready to show you what I did yesterday morning,  before I went to the Dentist.   oh.........the deed is done,  by the way.......the rest of my teeth are gone and I have my new dentures.   it's a little rough to say the least.........I still need to go back a few time for adjustments.

Friday night,  I said the heck with it,  and cemented the fascia on the helm structure.  I will trim it down when it's dry........but I made sure that both end windows are flush with the sides,  rather than make a five window fascia for it.   

1428040043_1.jpg.d68332c5121221cf632bb141361007cd.jpg

I need to trim the ends,  but I did some sanding to the outer windows to insure that they are flush for the window frames.

1698706094_2.jpg.9e2faa5357705ab2f503a7c4286b510a.jpg

456057927_3.jpg.1d992bc58027514b999694c59203a80c.jpg

1445791507_4.jpg.69af1d8a5cafdc378524e5653af5d7ba.jpg

then I started to fit the window frames.......I fitted the starboard side a bit to tight,  and it cracked.  a quick repair.

276245679_6.jpg.2407b9870cbcc5c04d7a5de0fd2bbe1c.jpg

one thing I noticed about the window frames,  is that some have a shallow sill,  and some have a thicker sill.   checking how many of each I have,  will better tell me where they should go.  I still need to fit the port side.

644967595_7.jpg.215010d246b205cc3a05c87678e53c85.jpg

some may remember this part I made quite some time ago.   I believe I made it for the trawler Syborn......I want to see if I can use it for this model,  without too much adjustment.   the height is too high........need to chop some off of it,  but I also saw that I will need to add width to it.

1650097946_5.jpg.4187846caa13124fc0167fb844ec4eb5.jpg

the planking is still ongoing........adding a few here and there.   by this time though,  I had to go make the appointment,  so I had to stop here......the rest of the day was a waste.......only adding another plank to the hull.   need to get the decorating under way as well........yesterday put the ka-bosh to that too :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

planking is still going on.......I'm adding more and more each day.   I spent some time on her this afternoon,  shaving down the protrusions on both sides of the helm cabin,  and a few more strakes of planking.

1163493863_1.jpg.c177bbe95d5fd42b3ca20a5af8a2b63c.jpg

bulkhead #15 has disappeared behind the wall of planking....the open frame is slowly closing up.   the line is looking much better.

1389946899_2.jpg.54ecd1ba06641db1b64fde4daac602d6.jpg

even the bow has a good shape to her,  tucked behind the rabbit.   before I cement the plank in place,  I bevel the mating edge of the plank,  so it will sit flush with the rabbit edge.  the correct angle is key here to keep the gap monster away :) 

1053998297_3.jpg.81ec9523c05f69c22ac3c0140a3aaa79.jpg

the stern is looking pretty good too........four strakes later,  each one tapered down.   I've done some extreme tapering here so far......time to widen it,  I think.

1599103268_4.jpg.9a55c2418e717a42ca912db3feeb7f5a.jpg

I am very close to the turn........I had thoughts about resorting to 5 mm strakes to span it.  I had this weird thought that using the 7 mm might make it look kinda clunky.  I threw the thought out of my mind.......if there was the idea that this might happen,  the instructions would have specified it.  besides,  the turn isn't really that drastic,  and I don't recall doing it to the Nordkap.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John :)   bring'in back some fond memories  ;) 

and thanks to all who hit the like button! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

between all the holiday hub-bub,  I've been able to add more to the hull planking.   the opening is much smaller now........

779196505_1.jpg.536f1c31413b8cb653bbe8067116c90e.jpg

the stern counter is closed in now and beginning to climb the rabbits.

551356557_2.jpg.93c8848276018f3dbaaac4be01c4a6a7.jpg

I've done minimal sanding,  which is rare for me.......usually I can't stand how ugly it looks and knock down the high spots,  as I go along.   I've just done where the plank butts are,  so it doesn't look like such a dog's body.  between times of waiting for it to dry and doing things 'round here,  I've been working on the dash for the helm room.   I decided that there was too much to do with the other dash I had made........it was scaled to 1:33 ( the same scale as the Mary Ann,  the Cux 87.......which was the template to build the trawler).  I'm using the same design as the Nordkap......likely the same for this particular model too,  seeing that they seem to be clones of each other {whichever came first...the chicken or the egg}.  I'm still dealing with the shrinkage issue,  having to make the parts,  instead of using the kit parts.  I started to fashion out the kick panel.

651092327_3.jpg.9910ead25647690e8dc8c002bffd9568.jpg

a little further with the planking,  the keel rabbits were put on.....figures I'd just get'em out of the way.

2086981095_4.jpg.90a21d79616f9fc86f27fc465979edb5.jpg

the planking did lay down rather nicely....there are a few gaps,  but rest assured that they are filled with cement.  hopefully it will cut down on the use of filler.  conforming the planking to follow the rabbit hasn't been too bad.......coming up with easy ways to accomplish this.

1135676660_5.jpg.327b407bc047879cc3ccde2a434839f4.jpg

darn planking is 1.8 mm thick........should be no problem sanding the hull and smoothing it out.  it can be seen that I did some sanding to the counter by the stem.....my big block will do wonders ;)   I also ended up making another dash top.........I cemented it in place,  but left it movable,  so I can complete the work on the kick panel.

2066381188_6.jpg.2875df864feeb5ea193da1b9939a1a4e.jpg

I will have more later on........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Yves :)    with luck I can finish the hull and get on with expending some of this elbow grease I've got stored up :D 

thanks for the likes gents! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bob......... :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree  with bob, some realy tidy work you are doing denis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC...........hope you can get the admiral on an even keel  ;)    I'm not a water person either,  but I'm getting used to it.

thanks J..........yea....time I did something about it.   I've had the dentures for a little over a week now........I still have to undergo a few adjustments.  I like how I look though 😀   welcome ..........you haven't missed much  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

3 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

thanks OC...........hope you can get the admiral on an even keel  ;)    I'm not a water person either,  but I'm getting used to it.

thanks J..........yea....time I did something about it.   I've had the dentures for a little over a week now........I still have to undergo a few adjustments.  I like how I look though 😀   welcome ..........you haven't missed much  ;)  

Hey denis  is that bright light in here coming from you then  - you ultra white toothy dude.^_^

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Your work is looking very nice Denis. I can commiserate with you on the teeth, I'm now sporting a partial upper clip-on.  We'll see how long the remaining real teeth hold up.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I made a bit more progress on her.............an errand here.........put up an inflatable snowman.......wrap presents,  and I was good to go ;)  {still have to wrap the admiral's though.......I have plenty of CA to keep her in her seat  ;) }   after visiting here for a little bit,  catching up on some of your logs {mighty fine work too....I might add},  I checked to see if the dash had dried enough.   taking it out of the helm room,  it was refined here and there,  and more was added to it.   there was a pair of vents that will mimic the printed part nicely.  I had an after thought.........but I will save it for another project...I think it would look really neat ;) 

1917487442_1.jpg.9c8eef9d4d4847c832a13d2b97b46abe.jpg

the 1/16 strip I used is some of the pine supplied in the kit.  then I began to think of the garboard strakes........these were going to be interesting.  the bow has a curve I need to replicate,  and the stern rabbit will need to be trimmed.

652847955_2.jpg.235c26bb424c17915089fafb71fe98f5.jpg

once the curve was created to the planking strip,  it was copied onto another strip,  so I would have a reference for the other side.

1052125822_3.jpg.26945eaf84f6fdb49ac75bc4972a987d.jpg

I was a bit late for the stern rabbit......I had already trimmed it.  I had used a 7 mm plank strip for the keel rabbit......as the garboard plank runs along it,  it will tuck itself under it,  creating a fine mating edge......hopefully with no gaps.  the port side is already done here........wait!  did I say port???   I think I broke my habit of always starting something on the starboard side!  whooo-Hoo!  :D 

480912883_4.jpg.f388c74b44dd8444e05f85fcdd666950.jpg

here is what it looked like earlier.........

1167470471_5.jpg.bc488b01572806c65ffdcf9f26e90e4f.jpg

ghastly!  this is not a mistake.....actually,  the instructions say to use a 10 mm strip.   but,  looking at the bow rabbit,  a 10 mm strip would not have worked very well,  and the garboard would not be able to tuck under it....so I compromised.  the fit at the bow is good.......

1949014636_6.jpg.302e0a7c304ecdc49ee4b2edac82ba15.jpg

the underside of the tip was sanded down to 1 mm to match the thickness of the bow rabbit.....I've beveled all of the planking for this reason,  all the way up the stem.  it made the planking flush with the rabbit.....saving me a lot of extra sanding.  then it was cemented into place.

1424712308_7.jpg.b147257d09c2f6fef11247f9f15c309e.jpg

1933479937_8.jpg.888b7ff74e86da2302c4f593a682a3c9.jpg

1237452388_9.jpg.222d73f699c2c6a0dcfd0088cb3cc093.jpg

there's that silly .05 mm.........kinda hard to get rid of it here.  a small problem near the bow,  where it wasn't allowed to tuck under.......it won't interfere with anything.   while this was drying,  I thought to get a picture of the dash back in the helm room........should look good when the floor is planked and the interior painted.

2054682271_10.jpg.5addca8261db230922141a8f76b479b3.jpg

I'll create a tunnel for the ship's wheel.......I think I did that for the Nordkap.  now that the garboard is laid,  I need to get the planking past the turn of the stern rabbit.  the shaping here needs to have that curved contour......if not,  then there will be a flat spot that needs filler.  I know there will be some,  but I'm trying to limit how much.  I really haven't had to soak any of these strips.......this small area of the stern is the worst part of it.  I had to fashion another length of planking to fit the curvature.......one more should put me on the flat edge of the rabbit,  and then I won't have to deal with it.   this length of planking only runs forward to bulkhead #8.......I'll finish it off when this section is dry.  I know I'll need to fill in an odd shaped opening to finish the hull planking...I'd like to bring it up higher,  so it's far enough away from the turn {chine},  mid ship.

2137754858_11.jpg.fed8e4f5a89f42cb7d0a9f48b012dfe9.jpg

1812614836_12.jpg.ca2f5362118928d544a725fb0461aec8.jpg

it can be seen how level the plank line is..........it came out better than I thought ;)   there is a little narrowing at the bow......and to think......I tapered a couple of strakes rather than add another stealer.   the stern might not be so easy.......where it flattened out on the dead wood,  it widens there.  

perhaps I didn't need to do that much tapering at the stern.  it is as I once said.........you can plank the same hull and it will come out different.   one can see little flat spots on the hull.........my stupidity of spot sanding......should have left well enough alone.  they will be gone when I get to the major stuff :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis your work is Superb  and your explanations  are just so good.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

gee OC........I'm not sure I have a picture of me before I had the work done......I'll snap one of the after for you ......... cheeky!  ;)  :D 

hello Piet........very glad to see your out and about!  when are we going to see another one of your projects?  thanks and welcome to one of my latest projects {some are even later}.   never a dull moment here at the Wharf ;)    yea,  my teeth were beginning to cause me some major problems,  so I finally had enough.  once my lower jaw heals and I go through the adjustments,  I should be in fine shape......that is,  once I also learn to adapt.  don't be a stranger.........and let me know,  the first sign of you glu'in two sticks together........I want a front row seat!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks OC :)   here's that pitc're of me.........

204331723_Popeyethumbsup.jpg.7dc0b8f7e2cec324ad461b7ab70e6b0b.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Denis

...and you’re off and running on another beauty!!!  As usual, I’m struggling to catch up🙂

Nonetheless, Progress looks like she’s shaping up to be a whole lot of fun. Are you going to add your special touches to it, (as you’ve done with your Andrea Gail), or will it pretty stock standard?  Either way, it’ll still be great. 

Cheers. 

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

rabbits make it easier Tom.......for sailing ships,  they provide a nice nitch to trap the planking under.  most times,  no type of clamping is needed.  in this case,  as long as the planking is kept flush with the rabbits,  it usually turns out looking pretty good.  where rabbits are not supplied,  cutting a groove along the outer edge of the keel,  is a great alternative {I'm sure you've done it}.  thanks for the good word  :) 

thanks Patrick.......of course!.....I may not get everything into her {a lot of after thoughts},  but I intend to give her some character.  the hull is pretty straight forward.......the same as the Nordkap,  but when I get on deck,  that's when the fun can really begin :) 

at this point,  the port side is close to being closed up.  I tried to drill out the portholes on the back wall of the helm room,  but ran into a nasty problem when the drill had a mind of it's own.   now I'm on damage control......I'll show ya later.

thanks to all who hit the like button  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"cutting a groove along the outer edge of the keel,  is a great alternative {I'm sure you've done it}."

Yep - just this week in fact....

Tom..........ha....I thought so  :D   is that your new project .......the Santa Lucia?   we'll be seeing her brother soon.........get it?!.....Santa Clause  ;) 

thanks John.........I got a 7 foot inflatable snowman on my front lawn!!!!   it's like I'm pray'in to the snow gods,  for cry'in out loud! :o  insanity hath no bounds!  ;) 

I'll have some pictures soon...........doing the last bit of damage control.   it's not as bad as it looks ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

here is the update I promised......got off to a bad start when I got back to work'in on her.   drilling out the portholes on the back wall of the helm room didn't go so good......the bit was very hungry.

1908941186_1.jpg.4e68dc684cc513677308a159ec2e8725.jpg

the right side isn't too bad......and I even drilled pilot holes,  larger than the ones I made beforehand..........but the left side is pretty nasty.   I'm flipp'in a coin if I should just rip the wall out.

208036254_2.jpg.7305b3a704546b1610c74fd01ce2f808.jpg

as mentioned,  the right side cleaned up fine.....

2140522872_3.jpg.1f14c5123a7b559939e93a6ce496095d.jpg

....I'll get back to the left side later.   the port side is almost closed........just this odd opening is all that's left.

1040592761_4.jpg.aa9a1172a5e035a347fc3ce41dacad6f.jpg

723137717_5.jpg.e0f8c476fedf7fc3c0f48eff585d336f.jpg

I filled in the last strake with cut offs,  starting at the bow and working my way to the stern.   it didn't take very long to finish.

1556169111_7.jpg.46b7abea4cbb75cc562e20abfbb456fa.jpg

I did some sanding....you might be able to tell.........the bow came out pretty good, with regards to the rabbit.

110602230_8.jpg.478d579730ba3ee76b104082abf92e03.jpg

at this point,  I went back to the structure and cleaned up the left side porthole.......it was a little tough,  but I managed to save it.  it may need a little filler.  while I was at it,  I began to frame out the aft cabin.

1618420446_9.jpg.dedc7c00c27ce52e581f9b8146b29d0f.jpg

I though I had done a bad job cutting out these parts.......I was able to use them after all.   I thought it best to open up the portholes first,  before assembling it.

887423922_10.jpg.330f2e3eb4ff979380d1457f574d45db.jpg

I may do something with the roof part.......I'm not putting it on at this time.

1834178429_11.jpg.dc2f06f6f24c6e2afe83bad6979481f0.jpg

470247867_12.jpg.6d1242f0282a92bc640427579a716502.jpg

I'm not adding the doors yet either.......I need to cut out the windows in the doors.  there will be another cabin on the lower level......I will need to scratch make the parts........some ladders too,  I think.   going back to the hull,  to do the starboard side now........I added the garboard strake and and the next one.  I added one on the bottom too,  but not all the way aft........I need to fit the plank to the stern rabbit and get around the curvature.

95968353_13.jpg.38bc2cc319fc215c4660cee3caf6c63b.jpg

not too much more to go............an' then I kin flex me muskles....AK-k-k-k-k-kk-k!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: