MS Progress by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:50 scale

thank you Kevin and Sampson......and Happy 2019 to you!  :)    as with the Nordkap,  the funnel for the Progress with be in the same location.  it will sit attached to the aft cabin,  and rest on the lower cabin.

Progress-002.jpg.70828f014c71c9263bf29b8efd9eae2a.jpg

I'm going to position it a bit more forward to give the lower cabin more deck space.   not that it really matters,  since I gave the lower cabin more length.........either I didn't go back far enough with the forward deck cabin,  or there was some difference in the original Progress kit.   this model was built from an original kit.   the give away to the age of this model {kit} is the portholes......they are plastic,  as they are also in the Nordkap kit around the same production period.  I'd be surprised if this model was built the same way as I am,  using a Nordkap kit.........but the obvious conclusion I've come to,  lies with the measurements of the cabin structure,  as a whole.........even the helm room is different {side walls are shorter}.  

also shown here is one of the gallows.........earlier,  I showed you one of them {or what's left of it},  that I need to recreate.   I've almost resided myself to the fact,  that I'm not going to find this style of gallows.  I'm still looking,  but I have an idea to make them rounded at the top,  bending the metal,  rather than cut and shape the parts to make the others.   dunno.........I may try anyways.  if I do,  I will post how they come out.   I won't need to adapt the funnel.......once shaped,  it simply sits on top.  the only thing I need to be concerned with,  will be the separation lines along the bottom,  where it will mate to the decks.   shaping was fun when I did the Nordkap.  I took my belt sander and laid it in a milk crate with the trigger locked on.

after marking the shape on the block of Balsa,  supplied in the kit,  it was sanded and sculpted to the oval shape.

1746419253_1.jpg.20fba890f23c352106e333238c7a0f4b.jpg

277234496_2.jpg.849b71a6b4c90505326f53fc02685fac.jpg

831421178_3.jpg.b413bc5088900247b08975abea3856c1.jpg

that's the block I have to work with....should be fun when I finally get to it.   welcome to the log.....enjoy  :) 

Hello Sampson :)   welcome to the log,  glad you enjoyed what there is so far.   should get more interesting when the paint starts flowing........she'll be prettier,  as any rate :D   I like trawlers.........my knowledge of them may be still shady though.....I'm constantly learning.   reminds me when I was building the Mary Ann.........I outfitted her to be a self sufficient boat,  able to repair her own nets,  even during a days work,  fishing.  I posted the log here and on my Word Press site.  after I had finished the model and posted the gallery on both sites,  I received a comment on the Word press site,  by a person from Norway {I think that's where he was from}.   he told me I did a great job on the model,  but just for future reference,  those types of boats aren't outfitted like that  ;)  :D    I knew he was being funny and sincere,  so I didn't take offense........later on down the road,  he sent me pictures of his three boats........very nice looking bevy  ;)    be welcome........follow along.......I'll try and make it as interesting as I can.   if you have an idea or suggestion.....feel free to let me know.   that's what we're all about here.

I didn't get to do much on her yesterday...........my extra spoonful of insanity will be apparent  in the shore leave forum  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

decided to install the margins today on the Progress.  fitting them took a while.......a vast amount of adjustments.  measure and cut all the notches,  sand and trim until they are butted up to the bulwarks.  the fun started with the port side.

464729772_1.jpg.fa8380bf8bedc5ec53ca96581c347927.jpg

trimming was in a number of places....even a couple posts.   the margins aren't that wide......I didn't want them to take the brunt of the trimming.  any gaps left over will be filled with filler.   when it was satisfactory enough,  it was cemented in place.

143615147_2.jpg.a19c4bb615416b645ed8def6ff3689ec.jpg

2119160949_3.jpg.b6cecd6c17778f3e3ec6832f7c4c6ba5.jpg

it laid down rather well.......it didn't try to lift  ;)    usually,  when wet from the white glue,  the wood will try to curl.   the starboard side was then fitted and cemented down.  this one has the odd shape and did attempt to lift,  mainly at the ends where the thicker areas are.  top hat push pins helped to hold them down.

1225709161_4.jpg.ccd60457ca38d4c6418b0e07b9f92bc1.jpg

there was also some lifting along the bulwarks,  which was easy to remedy.

1335322999_5.jpg.e4e8fff844059a65db4d57747f493040.jpg

the top of the bow cabin.....the roof or bow sheer { for lack of better terminology},  is seen lying on the deck.   it was cut out from what was left of the sheet that it was printed on and dry fitted on the bow.   sanding had to be done to the bow beams,  for it to sit correctly.   I also saw that the angles for the side parts need to be addressed too.......not enough of an angle.

1468771189_6.jpg.f465d48afd73d55ae2d6f2a6a023d7e0.jpg

you might be able to see the marks I made.   the real problem lies at the bow stem.......those top rabbit pieces will need to be notched.  I first thought that by sanding the beam closest to the stem,  it might alleviate the problem.  it lessened it.......but not entirely cured it.

1172192876_7.jpg.2acefc7951a58e5a3e90ac786f0a2437.jpg

2043661133_8.jpg.d9aa4416109123554b8a3a21ba010479.jpg

you can see what I mean here by angle adjustment.   I can make up for the stem problem with the sides........it's all in the fit  ;) 

1600758425_9.jpg.5f1fcba975d46c394759a4cc4793dd02.jpg

I removed the portholes from the cabin assembly.......I was going to give it a primer coat.   but them I remembered that there are a couple other thing I need to do before that can happen.  with an errand to run,  I left the cabin in place on deck.......I had also tried to sand in the deck camber at the bottom.........got most of it  ;) 

860173662_10.jpg.6fe380e1c8a95d7fcc9dee2a173dc026.jpg

once the margins are painted, and the hold boxes are in place,  I can then plank the deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

thanks J........I can cut the scuppers next :)    another step I need to do.  I still need to sand the hull some more.....then I can do the rub rails.  never a dull moment........hoping I can get some paint on her soon.   thanks for the good word :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis, 

I'm late to the game, but have spent last night and this evening reading through the build so far.  Great way to spend a Friday night!! :dancetl6: She's really taking shape and looking good.  Great work!!!  I wish I was as fast at building.  

cheers

Marc

thanks Marc....your here.....and I'm glad you came  ;)   your still fairly early though........no paint yet and plenty of deck work to do.   I'm went to Hobby Lobby the other day to see if they had any brass strip stock........only 1/8 x 1/8 :(   so I bought a couple of 1/4 x 1/4 basswood strips thinking that I'd make them in wood.   then I thought dowel.........that might b interesting........I just picked up a bunch of different sizes {I've become a hoarder of wood}.

looking at the original one,  I find that the uprights could be 3/16......I didn't measure them.....I went on blind assumption.   so I will be experimenting with that along with every thing else.  on top of that........I've been staring at the wood parts for the winch.   I can get an all metal one from Cornwall for like $27.00........but I will assemble it to see how bad it will look.

as I said.......your still early........glad to have you aboard :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello Samson....sorry for the late reply.......I've been doing other projects.   funny too.......I had an urge to assemble the large winch,  and gallows.   I should be getting back to the ship end of modeling real soon......starting to miss it ;)   the weather is starting to warm up {I hope}.......got filler work and more sanding.  it would be good if I did it in the garage.

thanks for look'in in and the good word :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

there has been some progress with this project........I have tinkered with the winch,  and there is an advantage to an all metal construction.   this half wood winch is a lot more delicate to work with.  I should also be getting the hull into the garage for the rest of the sanding......just gotta get with it before my younger son comes up with another one of HIS projects {so far,  he's getting more use of it more than I am :blink:}   when I have enough for an update,  you can bet I'll post it for you all :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hey there John........it's not too big just yet.  basically,  I'm assembling the frame of the winch so I can drill the holes for the shafts.

128499896_1.jpg.44036591f643f5888c6dabffaca31dba.jpg

192467370_2.jpg.f9546a0951af783a88b88e9c1108c431.jpg

also shown are the parts to make the gallows.....I have four to make.  I'm going to copy the metal ones that I got with the first Nordkap.   I also scoffed the degausing cables from the hood PE,  to use as electrical conduit for lights.  just a little bit of extra detail......the structure is far from being done.

more soon.........:) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

looking very nice, i will post some updates of mine this weekend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

ahhhhh.......the powers of wood.......it has the ability to do many things on it's own.   one of them is warp :angry:    I assembled the frame,  then left it to do something else.   I thought it was flat....it wasn't.  one side was a tiny bit warped and the outer part of that side of the frame was a tiny bit off.  seeing what the gent did with his {in the pictures},  I gave it a base to help reinforce the frame and adjusted the offending frame part.

1448509220_1.jpg.b331bd7d56d0bd13c71909dc9c501f7d.jpg

I am now able to drill the shaft hole without fear of being off.  I plan on adding extra detail to it.   the hole was drilled and the spools were dry fitted.

1943639050_2.jpg.1155050654b85796d9aadcd923d84d0a.jpg

I did a little to the gallows too........I need to make parts for the other two

1229723507_3.jpg.864bf38abf8558090628857912571867.jpg

more to be added to these as well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John..........it's been rainy here.  of course,  it has nothing to do with the warp I experienced,  but it prevents me from taking it out to the garage to continue the sanding.   hoping for next week........but for now,  there are still bit I can do till then.  very easy to overcome the problem in wood.....hate to see it in plastic!  :D 

thanks for the good word :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good, shame about the warp

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

the warp was nothing Kevin.........but it will give you an idea of what to look for should you purchase one of these fitting kits.  back when I did the Nordkap,  all of it was metal......cut out all the confusion.   even the center block was metal {brass}.   as for the kit........a very small percentage of the kit had any issues with warp,  considering how old the kit is.  I'm still trying to use as much of the original wood as I can.........I hate to waste it.  for any that I encounter.......that's what internal framing is for  ;) 

hello Yacht1255....a man of few words  :)    welcome to the log!  I hope you enjoy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

.......just a small update.   done more on the winch and started to make the handrails for the cabin structure.  I would have more to report,  but it was our 31st anniversary yesterday :)    we had a marvelous day.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congratulations my friend 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

to me or the admiral?  :D  thanks Kevin ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

31 years? You guys are still in the honeymoon stage! ^_^ Congratulations anyway. Only 31 more to go! :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Happy anniversary and congratulations!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 5 months later...

luckily I stumbled back here looking for the Andrea Gail log.........I would have not see all your kind wishes before I continued on her. :o  I had a comment made on the Word Press log on the A.G. by a fellow in Mass.  he mentioned that another gent built a scratch build of her and it now resides in Cape Ann museum, in Gloucester.  

thanks to you all for the anniversary wishes :) ........must be still going strong......my stuff hasn't been tossed to the curb yet :ph34r:

hopefully,  it won't be our next anniversary when I get back to this project,  although,  I've been getting back to dabbling in wood..........currently acting on something I've been keeping on the back burner.  the Holidays has put a tiny crimp on meaningful modeling....I figured I'd play with something I can putt around on for the time being.  the hope is still there for some type of update.......stay tuned  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 years later...

Aaaar skipper!

I've just come by one of these Nordcap MS Progress 5 model kits. It was partly built by my dad back in the 70's.

The hull, bulwarks, gunwales, superstructure, foredeck and funnel are all in place. So she's a bare boat ready for fit out.

I love the model in the pic near the beginning of this post - the workworn finish is brilliant. Very impressive. Right down to exactly the right blue for a Danish boat.

I haven't decided what way to take my model. I'll bet many of that class of boat were upgraded from sidewinders to the stern trawl before the end of their lives. It would be interesting to find some pics on the net, see how they were set up and do a representation of the most modern incarnation of this style of boat.

Anyway, all this boils down to a request to see some pics of your finished product. Really interested to see the fruits of your labour..

cheers,

Sandy