Friesland by greatgalleons - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

That would be great! If the scale is not in the 1:48 range, I would certainly consider buying.

There is a set of drawings around from the Lelystad Werf were they do the replica (Drazen is using that set for building is model of the ZP)

btw: this painting is also coming from Lelystad, it is an artist impression of the replica afloat.

Jan

Amazing work here! I've always been curious about this kit and it's nice to see it come alive in such capable hands. Just read through this log with great interest - I'm also happy to hear that you put your modelling work to such good causes!!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I know this may be a bit late, but could you please explain, with photos if possible, or 

even drawings, how you were able to make all those "diamond" cuts so symmetrical, and precise?

Also, if you don't mind, the gratings on the first level seem to pop out of the deck, but you have

the borders somehow tapered as you reach the grating.  Again, photos would be great.

Appreciative and desperate novice.

Many thanks.

Which cuts do you mean, actually?

Those oval shaped 'holes' in the stern are made by Mamoli.

The gratings are glued on to the deck, and a small strip of wood (slightly thicker than the deck planking is glued around them. The gratings themseleves are build up from prefabricated (by Mamoli) strips of wood.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hello Alfonse, I actually just filed down the ends of each square piece with a  fine metal file until they all matched then glued the pieces together to make one piece overall, then I drilled holes in the bottoms to place a small metal nail and to fix to the deck.   The grating on the main deck is supposed to be flush with the deck also just like the upper decks, I chose to raise them a little, just a personal touch.

Hi Greatgalleons,

I got my Friesland kit recently and have started to work in it.  It's only my second build, so I'll be relying heavily on your posts to guide me along.  The quarter galleries look especially challenging.  Mamoli has made some changes to the kit because the first thing I checked were the lower deck cannons, and they appear to be the correct length.  There may be other improvements but I don't know yet.  The one obvious disappointment is that the mast dowels are not made of walnut but some light wood that I'll have to stain, although I'll probably just buy some walnut dowels.

At any rate, keep the posts, especially the pictures, coming.  If my build comes out looking anything like yours I'll be extremely happy.

Steve J

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have any recent photos of this kit build because I was offered a price I could not refuse for the finished hull.   I would have liked to have finished it with the mast and rigging.   It was always intended to be for sale, but not so soon.    I do not usually get into the mast, spar and rigging in my logs because I figure square rigging is  common knowledge among ship modelers.  I mainly focus on hull construction.    

I'm really disappointed that there won't be any more updates to your build, but I don't blame you for taking the money.  I would, however, like to follow up on a couple of items: how do you make the ornamentation look so nice and shiny, and what is JB Weld, the stuff you use to attach the ornamentation?  Where can I get it? 

Many thanks for your excellent posts and pictures.  I'll miss the updates.

Steve J