Best method to paint metal parts?

How do you paint photo etched and metal parts. I have cleaned with alcohol or acetone and sanded to rough up the surfaces and the paint won't stay on.

Is the trick to get some enamel paint for metal parts?

I am using Vallejo Acrylic Primer.

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

I use a metal primer after cleaning the parts, then paint with acrylic paint

Sanding photo etch is tricky and probably not needed - I have never had to do it at least.  Any sanding should be followed with a cleaning using a grease/oil cutting agent - acetone should work for most crud and lacquer thinner works too - and to get the sanding debris cleaned.  I follow the solvent soak with a water rinse and then let the parts air dry.  Don't skip the water rinse.  If you are on well water or have real hard water you might be advised use distilled water.   Next, do not touch the parts with your bare hands.  Use tweezers or clean cotton gloves or exam gloves W/O powder!

Primer should stick just great.  I use an acrylic primer - Badger's Stynylrez - and it and the final color coats stick.

This is what has worked for me.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

4 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

Next, do not touch the parts with your bare hands.

Thanks, Kurt.

This is probably what I am doing wrong. And I am not following up with a water rinse after the acetone soak.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Hello. I use this stuff on all metal parts that are going to be painted. Works great. Leaves a very hard surface and paint will stick to it totally. The highest the number, the thinner the coat. I wasn't aware of the 1200 or 1500 version. Will surely try it next time.

Looks like it comes in white, gray and black colors.

https://www.amazon.com/Surfacer-Spray-170ml-Gundam-Hobby/dp/B00124OI24/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538845040&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+surfacer+1000

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Some folks add another step.. put the parts in vinegar for around 10 minutes or so to put some "tooth" on the metal.   Rinse in distilled water and allow to dry and then prime.  I do this for brass parts I'm blackening and the vinegar bath seems to make a big difference in how the blackening turns out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)