Sir Winston Churchill by Messis - FINISHED - Woody Joe - 1/75

Got the kit from Japan. Unboxing it just confirmed Catopower* that made a review for this modell with very positive comments over the kit's quality. Matetial, instructions and drwings are of top quality!

*I thank him for the excellent  review but also for all the help he gave me so far.

1d1d87476fbfd26f02bae42ef98c00e1.jpg

so shipyard had recorded till now (all the last week and today) 24 working hours.

Planking its going well... its an easy planking actualy till this moment. The wood its nice flexible though I still soak it for braking safety. My new planking bender its just sitting  there still brand new!

picture shows work progress till this moment. No sanding done.

32.jpg

got one of the woody joe kits, and find the language isn't a real problem. the images make a good story book

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, MESSIS said:

so no worries

I won't ... I'm not building it ... I just follow along for an educational ride :D

Carl

planking is coming near its end. Am planning to coat the inside of the hull with a glue (wood glue/pva) and water 47.thumb.jpg.cf5b19a48538b5ec49c11be5f8bc8bd0.jpgsolution, to reinforce it before I start sanding it.

The kit suggests that to be done by a two parts epoxy... but I think thats too much.

Edited by MESSIS

Work in shipyard its slow but I am ok with the result. I finished sanding the hull and a primer (used Tamiya spray gray) was done. I thought sanding a few hours with a 180 and 320 grade sandpaper was going to be ok.... it appeared after 1st primer that it wasnt.

So the 1st layer of primer was sanded completely off, due to the fact that the surface repair wasnt easy. It took another few hours of sanding (this time a 320 and 400 grade) and so I came up with a completely clean -from primer- hull. So I primed again... the surface now was good, I  just made some minor sanding (500-800 grade) and then I gave it a last primer spray -not all over the hull- just were I made the sanding repairs. Lastly I gave it a finish (polish) with a 2000 grade sandpaper.

I dont know if I could have gone further with the quality, but I stopped, thinking there is still the finishing paint (using tamiyia spray paints) which is black and dark red... and am going to spray it maybe twice, so I believe thats going to give me a  nice enough surface.

55[1].jpg

52[1].jpg

53[1].jpg

Edited by MESSIS

I use both, however, for primer I prefer Tamiya rattlecan as it sticks better to brass and plastic. Colours depend, although I mostly grab Vallejo, as their assortment is deep. For Tamiya I use lacquer thinner, as it isn't real water based acrylics, at least I get the best airbrush result with that thinner.

Carl

@Tigersteve thank yoi Steve. The planking wasnt a hsrd one. So  the sanding wasnt hard either. Still I didnt manage to elimanete completly (is still something to see though is fainting)the view of the planks, though believe me I did my best.... maybe I should have gone a step further with sanding.

@cog yes you are right. The vallego primers arent the very best. Still they have  good working paints and as you said a deep assortment. Anyway its been a long time since I used Humbroll and Revel.

Messis

Tamiya and Creos are my go to paints along with Creos levelling thinners, I am not a great advocate of Vallejo, good value but they have their issues. Personally, I think the fact that Tamiya and Creos (Mr Colour) are not true acrylics is, at this time, to their benefit, however one would assume the true acrylics will eventually, by default,  take over, irrespective of quality, due to their environmental friendliness.

For primer, I carefully decant the Tamiya rattle cans into jars, for later use in an airbrush. You have to be careful with decanting, there are a few good videos on YouTube on how to decant rattle cans.

As you note, a benefit of Vallejo over Tamiya is the colour range, however Creos have a very extensive range and by the way have,  I believe, a true acrylic range (aqua?)

Richmond.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

@Richmond nice of you to explain all this... I wasnt aware of the Creos and I dont know how easy is to find them in Europe. I am going to give it a shot and try to find some and make an experimental use of them.

@Louie da fly Thank you Steven. Its much out of the ancient ship range, that both of us like. But after Hermione I though of a ship of our days (1966) is something that concludes the time line of my builds: bireme 5th cent. bc, olkas 3rd cent.  bc, drakkar 9th ad Hermione 18th ad....and SWC 20th century 😅

Edited by MESSIS

Messis

They are a Japanese company, they are definitely available in Europe, I have seen them for sale in Germany and the U.K, search for the "MR" range of paints, Mr Hobby , Mr Colour, Aqueous etc and make sure you try their levelling thinner, which can be used with Tamiya as well. With your eye for colour I would expect exceptional results. Alternatively try Hobby Link or Hobby Search in Japan, both very reputable.

Richmond

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

• 3 weeks later...