Sir Winston Churchill by Messis - FINISHED - Woody Joe - 1/75

@KatsumotoThank you Peter for watching my work and many thanks for your kind words.

I am working on wooden ship models since 2015. Before that -as a student in the 70s-80s-  I used to make plastic models. There was much painting but no other skills or knowledge, as wooden ships require. So am still a trainee in this aspect, on the contrary with your skills which am watching closely.Actualy I believe that when and if I reach your level, -and only then-am going to consider my self as a good and  experienced modeller.

Cheers Peter

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

@cog thank you. The 0.5 mm  wire gave me a hard time. It was to hard to bend correctly in a circle. The flame heating and the shocking cooling through cold water, made it softer and after more than a few trials I got it right.

Edited by MESSIS

On 1/14/2019 at 1:39 PM, MESSIS said:

@KatsumotoThank you Peter for watching my work and many thanks for your kind words.

I am working on wooden ship models since 2015. Before that -as a student in the 70s-80s-  I used to make plastic models. There was much painting but no other skills or knowledge, as wooden ships require. So am still a trainee in this aspect, on the contrary with your skills which am watching closely.Actualy I believe that when and if I reach your level, -and only then-am going to consider my self as a good and  experienced modeller.

Cheers Peter

Christos

It’s a work of art, ofcourse I’m watching. 🙂

your level is just as good or better than mine, so no worries about that my Cyprian friend. 😉

So today SWC completed 200 hrs of work. The crow's nest in now on the foremast. I rather call it the "cuckoo's nest" after all the hard time I had with this detail. Even installing it on the mast wasnt easy because the parts had to be and were allready painted.

The blocks of the kit look realy nice. They are plastic but  need to be painted. There is a good tamiya brown paint:

20190116_114403.jpg

20190116_120842.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

6 hours ago, MESSIS said:

Shipyard's electricians worked some overtime today to install the position lights on the foremast.

So you can turn on the lights ;) 

The rigging is just an additional mast. Instead of one you do two

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

@cog😃😁 yeap! But the lights are on.... its just still daylight in Cyprus and you can not see them😀.  The engines are also running already, but Cyprus its far and you cannot hear them😉.

The rigging its not just an additional mast... its another two masts😉

Thank you for dropping by

Wish you a nice day my friend

Edited by MESSIS

Hard work last two days. 8 hrs total and the foremast rigging starts to get formed. Didnt use GAC 400 to blow wind into the sails but just a thin brass wire at the bottom and the side opposite the mast. The two square sails are furled because thats the plan as the picture below.

s-l400.gif

20190122_132853.jpg

20190122_133133.jpg

Messis, beautiful build you have going there.

I truly hope the picture in post #13 is messing with me. But the waterline doesn't seem to be straight to me.
If I put a ruler on top of the picture between stern and stem, you have a drop in the middle

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

If a photograph is taken above or below a horizontal line on a curved object, there will always be a drop or a rise visible at the centre of the image, depending if the shot is taken up or downwards

Very nice work on the rigging Messis

Edited by cog

Carl

1 hour ago, cog said:

If a photograph is taken above or below a horizontal line on a curved object, there will always be a drop or a rise visible at the centre of the image, depending if the shot is taken up or downwards

Very nice work on the rigging Messis

Carl, I am fully aware about that.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

20190123_095002.thumb.jpg.39cd7f76b3bb5bcafb3b4df4e1e36c41.jpg@NirvanaThank you.  Yes, I checked and there is a small deviation there. You are right. I dont know how it happend  the tape I used was straight. Have to think how to correct it if possible at this.stage. I think I can still  do that.

Edited by MESSIS

draw the line with a very soft pencil (e.g. hardness B6) you can wipe that of very easily, remask and do your colour magic. If uncertain about the pencil you could either try it on a test piece, or take another road altogether. That's my two pennies

Carl

@Nirvana thank you so much for your excellent remark Sir. It seems you saved my model! You got an eye! Thats fascinating seeing that just through a picture.

@cog  I did what you said me to do! Thank you my friend... it was decisive what you told me, the moment you did and your concern over the disaster I was facing this morning.

Hura rescue operation of this morning, called "mission impossible"... SUCCEEDED! 

Here the result: 

20190123_124338.jpg

20190123_125312.jpg

The way it was before 6.jpg

Edited by MESSIS

Messi's. Now that looks right. Great save.

Respectfully

Messis, 

When I did the waterline on my Bluenose I used a laserlever, I have a cheap one........ you can get them from any hardware store or online.

With that tool you will for certain get a straight waterline. I am to buy a new one for my next ship.

bosch-gll-2-50-self-leveling-cross-line-laser-level-62.jpg

Respectfully

Christos, 

Here is a picture when I did my waterline.laser lining.JPG 

Respectfully

Attached the laser unit to a camera tri-pod about 4ft away, this way I got some working space.

Then use a pencil to make tick marks along the line. Then you can start masking off for painting.

Respectfully

@Katsumoto thank you Dutchman for your nice words. Yes as the song of Rod Steward says: 

"I am sailing
I am sailing
Home again
'Cross the sea"

next build its frigate Hermione building her for a second time. Want to rebuild her in order to correct all mistakes and errors I did when building her in the first time.

Christos the Cypriot 🇨🇾

Edited by MESSIS