Sir Winston Churchill by Messis - FINISHED - Woody Joe - 1/75

Beautiful model!! Congratulations

@ccoyle Thank you Chris nice of you.  To be sincere I did made some corrections to the flag after I took this picture, I cuted the mast a little.... it was too high and gave the flag a stronger  direction towards starboard

A beautiful build. It has encouraged me to look at this model next. I sailed on her sisters ship the Malcolm Miller. I do not recall the basket on the foremast though. Two most stunning moments of the cruise were my first time aloft was about 2am one morning in reasonably strong winds to bring in canvas. The second was being out on the bowsprit bringing down the jib. The bow plunged down and the water shot up my oilskin trousers, came out above the bib and was then forced down my arms and out of the neck. It made me look like a human fountain! Thank you for bringing back the memories. The only difference between the two that I am aware of are the tops of the doors on the Miller are square and she apparently slipped in dry dock at some stage and the Miller is slightly banana shaped. It is said this makes her slightly faster. Those who have sailed on the Churchill will say otherwise however.

@Katsumoto thank you my dutch friend for your very nice comments.- very much appreciated from you.

@donrobinson @jwvolzthank you very much guys, very nice of you indeed.

@Tigersteve thank you.... a much appreciated comment based on what I was aiming: to build  it as sharp  as I could.... on the next one I hope I reach the target.

@cog dear cog you  always know what to say! Thank you sir.

@Tom E dear friend thank you.Am going to rebuild my last model Hermione but this time I wll try and build her historically correct and ofcourse correct and improove the building mistakes of the first build.

@Bertu thank you Robert. Yes , seeing your BluenoseII (fine work),  it was the build I originaly wanted to build, that took me to Malcolm Miller, there isnt any kit available and then a friend suggested SWC.

@Louie da fly Steven thank you for your nice words.... appreciated that coming from the Byzantinische Shipyards !

@ETNZ thank you. Two facts that you may be already know: SWC now is under Greek flag and MM under Cypriot flag here in.my home City port of Limassol.

I couldnt build MM -which I actually preferred- because I could not find a kit. 

Concerning the differences of the two sisters you are right that:

Sir Winston Churchill differed from Malcolm Miller in having round topped cabin doors as opposed to square topped doors.

A further difference is that the Sir Winston Churchill was trimmed slightly lower at the stern - because the concrete ballast had run aft slightly when it was poured during her construction. May be is that, what you mentioned about the banana shape.

@all the likes gentlemen/guys/friends thank you very much.

Christos

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 weeks later...

This is a video I did, as a log of the build, using the pictures I took while building. And ofcourse  some other items, that I tought they could help my film production, in challenging may be even an Oscar for next year 😂 

Edited by MESSIS

• 2 months later...

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me