San Francisco Cross Section by Osmosis - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:50

Thanks Jim,

I think so too. Now that the matter of the cannon is settled I can get back to work on the hull.

Best Regards

It is really coming along nicely, I really like your work with the capstan. After looking ahead on my full version of this ship, I don't even see a capstan on my deck. I was considering putting one in but I don't even think there is room for it with how it is all setup.

Thanks Warnerade for the kind comments. Like I said before I really don't think this kit has any basis in reality. As I have been going along I have been trying to research Spanish Galleon construction methods and drawings. I have not had much luck yet. I will keep trying as I have an idea for my first scratch build that I would like to try. From what little I have found it seems that this kit took some liberties with the layout of the deck equipment.

I got started today with the lower ladder. I know I seem to be jumping all over the place but that is the way my mind works and this kind of build allows for that to a degree. I guess that is why I like them.

As you can see from the pics below after getting the measurements I needed I spent my lunch hour on Friday modeling the ladders in Autodesk Inventor. Once I established the pitch angle I cut the parts for the jig.

20181201_111515.thumb.jpg.4d73f1a650670035e1bade100df418a5.jpg

And glued them to what has become my jig platform. I then cut out the parts for the lower ladder. I did not document the actual assembly process as I was kind of involved in getting it right since this is my first one. It was pretty straight forward though put the rungs in the slots and glue on the rails. I did have a few minor hiccups but nothing worth noting here. The top rung you see in the drawing should have been deleted and is not on the final product

20181201_150954.thumb.jpg.21554b4e68843fb24fe09bbcf79d441b.jpg20181201_151024.thumb.jpg.709b249bfb785c7017c14c952d63f7ad.jpg

All in all it went pretty smooth and did not turn out too bad. I did a dry fit and it looks pretty good. A couple coats of poly and then glue it in.

Best regards

And here it is installed with 2 coats of poly.20181201_213015.thumb.jpg.cb58b779ec9deccb3ae8ce3c58876690.jpg

I have decided to go with 6 cannon instead of 8. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. I never liked the spacing of the center 2 guns.

2. I assembled one of the carriages with the kit supplied barrel and trucks and it would almost impossible undo that.

3. I have e-mailed AL about buying a replacement sheet of carriages a couple of times and have received no response and I really want to get past this stage of the build.

So there will be just 1 cannon in the geometric center on the main deck and 2 equally spaced on the gun deck.

At least that is my plan for today.

Best Regards

Edited by Osmosis

I agree with your assessment about them not being based on any actual historical accuracy, I’ve done some research similar to you. I was thinking it’d be nice if there was at least some consistency across the models though haha, looking closer and comparing it to mine I can’t even tell which portion of the ship yours is a section of. I have an idea, but the parts definitely don’t line up. I was really considering doing the cross section after this is done but that fact deterred me a little. 

Also, I have emailed AL about a few missing parts as well and I have received no response, so you’re not alone there. 

• 3 weeks later...

With all of the Christmas rush I have not had even one minute to work on this project. But......... after a month of absolutely no replies, out of the blue today I got an e-mail from AL stating that my replacement carriages have been sent. Even though I told them that I ruined one of the supplied ones and wanted to buy a replacement they sent them free of charge. Somewhat slow but good customer service I would say.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays

• 3 weeks later...

i'm following this build with interest, as i was bought this very kit for christmas.

Its my first wooden boat build, and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. However, i wish i had seen this build first as i think i would have approached the model differently. I suppose i foolishy believed that the instructions would be in the most logical step by step method. I now realise the decking would have been better left loose until the innards had all been completed, as you have.

I'll definitely be making the ladders as you have!

regards

Adam

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

Welcome aboard Adam,

You've got an excellent start there. Very neat and tidy work so far. Now that the holidays are over and I finally have my work room back perhaps I can get back to it.

Best regards

Osmosis, 

How long did it take for you to receive a reply/the parts requested from AL when you emailed about the missing parts from the kit? I e-mailed them about two months ago and have yet to receive a reply. I am missing about 30 of the columns that go around the railings. They are extremely cheap to purchase and I am considering just going that route but shipping from AL is 60+ dollars so I will not be going that route.

• 1 month later...

Well, after an extended layoff (over 2 months) I am back at it. Not much to report being the first night back but I did manage to layout and cut two gun ports. I have been agonizing over this for quite a while. Firstly, I did not want to cut into the planking I had worked so hard on. Secondly where to put them. Whether to follow the sheer line of the deck or just make them level fore and aft I went with following the sheer.20190213_222757.thumb.jpg.9edaf0ace8a1131bc95e813d191f1711.jpg20190213_222740.thumb.jpg.d9e938832bd5a68ddbd4620b5a4713eb.jpg

Here you can see the framing and planking I am adding to the inside to give the ports some depth. The kit supplies white metal frames and lids which I will blacken and use. I will wrap the inside of the ports with darker wood rather than painting them.

Hopefully the other side tomorrow night.

It sure is great to be back to work.

Best Regards

Nice choice to use the natural wood for the gun ports rather than paint. I have looked at many logs so far and it seems the older AL models were natural wood and they recently moved to painting...I am a fan of the wood myself. I was wondering where you've been, glad to see things are still moving forward

Thanks for the kind words and all the likes. It is good to be back at it. I have still been active on the forum but for some reason after the holidays it just took a while to get started building again. Hopefully now that I have started I will get back into a regular rhythm.

And yes just for the record "I hate paint". While I know it is part of the art form I see it as a necessary evil. To achieve historical accuracy it is without question necessary and a lot of people can do wonders with it. I have never been one of those and so choose to use it as sparingly as possible.

Best Regards 

Edited by Osmosis

Not much to report. Work continues on the gun ports. Also doing a few odds and ends while waiting for the glue to dry. Like painting metal rings on casks. Did I mention I hate painting!

Just wanted to let you know I am still at it.

Best regards

Got started on the port side tonight. I posted these in the "what have you received today thread" a while back but this is the first chance I have had to use my Incra Rulers. These things are the best! Very flexible and accurate as all get out. Makes layout on a curved surface like this so much easier.

20190220_200328.thumb.jpg.e901468196a06e22fd11e6f4111a3ddf.jpg

I know by now you all are as tired of these gun ports as I am. But they are officially done except for the outer frames which will come after the final planking. I created a lot of extra work for myself by building up the interior bulkheads and I am not sure I would go through it again. but I think it definitely achieved the desired effect. Giving some depth to the gun ports rather than just being a framed hole through the outer skin.

20190224_114713.thumb.jpg.8dfed010ab85329eea755cbcfe08b696.jpg

20190224_132812.thumb.jpg.d737edcd58611b2b89451eda4d5d42eb.jpg

Now it is on to some guns and other furniture for the second deck. I have the powder kegs and their racks soaking in some stain right now. I also need to start fabricating and installing the hardware for the gun rigging.

I have also been working on the making and placement of the bilge pump. The kit supplied one is metal and actually quite nice looking but I will be making one from wood. The instructions call for it to be mounted on the lower most deck in the hold. In doing some research and reading Prof. Oertlings thesis on the subject I am thinking of moving it up one deck and extending the tube down to the bilge as it would have been. Slightly off center line and forward of the mast.

That's it for tonight.

Best regards

Thank you all for the likes.

Just getting started on some of the deck pieces. But before gluing them in I was wondering about waterways for this deck.

20190227_211025.thumb.jpg.cb243580d6878b3328a9fb274e00719d.jpg

The instructions do not call for any but I think they would have been there. What sort of profile would they have had? I have seen them as both concave and just simply beveled strips. Is one more correct than the other or would it have been a regional thing as I am finding with a lot of details? Would they be made of different wood than the rest of the deck planking?

Thanks

20190227_211033.jpg

• 5 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 8:28 PM, Osmosis said:

Well a little actual assembly tonight. I know it might seem like overkill to break out the building dock to set 4 frames but this thing is great. Its like having 5 extra hands and really simple to use.

20181012_180502.thumb.jpg.5d43c5e4f0d3cc471d5e5e79931c5e31.jpg

First frame drying.

20181012_203518.thumb.jpg.5958ce3b707a18ca18c028c6df0cf5f2.jpg

And the second 30 minutes later. The one sheet of frames was a little warped in the package so I clamped it to the jig just as a precaution. My sanding block makes a pretty decent strong back.

20181012_215357.thumb.jpg.3a92cb2b489ffb283ef767841245647c.jpg

With all of the alignment marks it really takes out the guess work.

20181012_223210.thumb.jpg.c569d960f4620477def63f2b00268dd9.jpg

20181012_223249.thumb.jpg.306521a5d4c75de37051b2d47010885c.jpg20181012_223852.thumb.jpg.4b12d5957149e022647a4d40acaf7737.jpg

The lower deck dry fitted. Dropped right in, no trimming at all.

Its way past my bedtime so tomorrow I will start planking the lower deck and figure out how I am going to plank the inside hull.

What building dock is this?  Nice work so far, but this was my first question.

It is from Hobby Zone. There is a link to it in my signature/builds line below. Not sure if it is still being imported or not. The particle board clamps a quite fragile but it works well enough.

Regards

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry Guys,

I have not been very active around here as of late but I have been lurking about. I am going to knuckle down and get back to work this weekend. Really no explanation for what happened I just took a break I guess. I have been keeping busy with my RC sailing and other vices (hobbies) though.

I promise an update this weekend.

Best regards

Art

Look familiar?

I started the model and then found your 'build'.  Boy, you have a LOT to answer for!  I was simply going to make it per the instructions, but then - NO; you have to suggest al kinds of modifications!

I love it!   

First mod was installing some tie-down' rings into the cargo deck.  Made from a cheap necklace. . . 

IMG_4241.jpeg

IMG_4244.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Paul
grammar

I went with your grating/ladder change.  Have yet to build the ladder!

I intend to do the interior planking on the inside of the mid-deck, like you have done, but - HOW do you intend to mount the cannons on this deck?  I want to have them with the correct tackle etc. (with neatly coiled ropes, etc.) but am in a quandary about just how to do it.  If I install the top deck, etc. just how are the cannons to be installed?  On the other hand, if I install them before completing the second hull planking, I'll have to deal with cannon barrels protruding through the hull while I try to sand and smooth. . . . . 

HELP!!

Any comments would be useful!

60061930392__F41130D8-9E4C-41B9-B79A-3994EE263992.jpeg

Edited by Dr. Paul
needed to add the picture!

I Had planned on installing all the tackle rings in the appropriate places for the cannon and gun ports while the deck is still open then placing all of the guns and rigging after the hull is complete. But really guys I spend a lot of time falling down rabbit holes then have to spend even longer trying to get back out.