Rattlesnake by Zack Soderquist - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - US Privateer

Beginning a build of the Rattlesnake US Privateer by Model Shipways. This is only my third model, second wood ship. Previously I have built the

• USS Constitution by Revell - Scale 1/196 - Plastic
  • 18th Century Longboat by Model Shipways - Scale 1/48 - Wood

After building a plastic ship model and a wood ship model, I am totally hooked on the wood ships. My first wood ship build was purchased as a combo kit from Model Shipways which included the kit, paint and tool kit. I falsely assumed that if it came with a beginners toolkit that it was a beginner ship model. After receiving it and seeing how small it was, I researched further and found it was for advanced builders. Although a bit dismayed, I gave it a go and did complete it slowly. I learned a lot during the process. I probably learned more about what not to do. For this build, I used the MSW Model Ship Kit Database to pick my next model. http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com/ This is a much larger ship and rated at an intermediate level. I hope the larger size will make it a little easier in some ways.

After reading the instructions for the kit, it provides a lot more "beginner" details on how build a wood ship. It is much more detailed than the longboat instructions. 

IMG_1319.thumb.jpeg.7b11fdada1be80bfd79e5ce74cf2a3ed.jpeg

After attaching the the keel, stem and sternpost, I chiseled the bearding and rabbets. Then I sanded the slots on the bulkheads and center keel to fit. I also marked the waterline on each bulkhead to aide in installing the bulkheads properly. 

To square the bulkheads, I used a small square and clamp. The instructions say to nail a piece of scrap plank to hold the bulkheads square while the clue dries. After trying this, I found it very cumbersome. I then took some double sided tape and attached it to the scrap planks and used that instead of the nails and it worked very well and was much easier.

I beveled the two fore bulkheads prior to installing. The rest, I will bevel after they are installed by using a sanding block. Not yet sure how I will bevel the inside of the bulkhead for the ceiling planks. After all bulkheads are installed, I will add a strip of wood on each side to strengthen the bulkheads for beveling as well as making sure each bulkhead is perfectly aligned before planking. 

In hindsight I wish I would have installed the bulkheads starting from the back to the front as there is not a lot of room to use the square on the aft of the boat.

IMG_1317.thumb.jpeg.9c4771a2008c0a43a994591d95b9da25.jpegIMG_1316.thumb.jpeg.d97580b0c4f7889d0a88c59bf67bc013.jpegIMG_1315.thumb.jpeg.a416d5e12033b895d503c521030f4bab.jpegIMG_1314.thumb.jpeg.7231208bb495239d50e93dca2101c6d0.jpeg

• 3 years later...

I have abandoned this project. To be honest, I got in way over my head. I may circle back to this one in the future but I will likely purchase a 2nd kit and start from scratch. I can use the 1st kit for spare parts I suppose.

Since this project, Model Expo has release a shipwright series that I have purchased and will build to learn the fundamentals.