A new monograph, The Saint-Philippe -1693, by Jean-Claude Lemineur (Ancre).

You can find more information at https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/93-le-saint-philippe-1693.html

I cannot resist and I have just made the order.

I apologise if this is not the proper place to write news.

And they will also publish a monograph on a traditional Mediterranean Fishing Vessel : S. Caterina - a Pointu Méditérranéen - 1759

It would be a smaller project but equally interesting.

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/92-s-caterina-pointu-mediterraneen-1759.html

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Oops... Sorry... Just a little too late... The same idea at the same time... 😂

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that Saint Philippe is gorgeous.  Might have to add that one to the distant want-to-build list.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Beautiful monograph, as usual. Stunning looking ship.

But I've noticed the Ancre goes out of their way to avoid ships of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Periods. They are nearly all late 17th Century to mid-18th. The only exception is the lovely little brig Cygne, circa 1806, and the Creole, 1828. I get it. They like the fancy carvings of the period, as do I, but I'd also like to see frigates and corvettes of the Age of Nelson. But I wonder if they are also avoiding a historical period in which the French Navy didn't perform all that well. In so doing, they omit some of the most beautiful and technologically advanced ships of their day. A little wounded national pride, me-thinks? I hear rumors that a 24-pounder frigate from just that era may be in the works. Fingers crossed ...

I am very excited by the release of the St. Philippe.  As with L'Ambiteaux, this new monograph should provide a very necessary bridge between the First and Second Marines of Louis XIVs navy.  The two models that were on display at Rochefort were extremely impressive.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

2 hours ago, uss frolick said:

... I hear rumors that a 24-pounder frigate from just that era may be in the works. Fingers crossed ... ...

Hello,

This is quite true for the project, I am working on the monograph of a frigate of 24 "L’Égyptienne". The plans are almost finished, it remains the writing of the text.
Expected release early next year but not at Ancre Editions but under my name as usual since 2006.

Gérard Delacroix

Edited by G. Delacroix

1 hour ago, G. Delacroix said:

Hello,

This is quite true for the project, I am working on the monograph of a frigate of 24 "L’Égyptienne". The plans are almost finished, it remains the writing of the text.
Expected release early next year but not at Ancre Editions but under my name as usual since 2006.

Gérard Delacroix

Hello Mr Delacroix. I don't know if you remember I asked you about an estimated release date. No doubt, it's a great news! I keep on expecting this new monograph. Thanks for this information.

• 7 months later...

I've noticed the Ancre goes out of their way to avoid ships of the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Periods.

The only rebuttal to this is

La Venus  -    is of Hebe class   and  was of the Revolution period  and was the basis of a huge number of RN frigates extending past 1815.

My complaint is the monograph et al. = there is no Body plan of just the stations inside the planking -  even the supp. plans set while having lofted frames,  which is fine for most,  just duplicates the original monograph at a different scale  - the RN take off  = Leda  needs a ton of work because time has been unkind.

The 74 Gun Ship  is the Temeraire class - also  Revolutionary  

not ANCRE but Delacroix  - Commerce de Marseille  - 118 gun big boys of both periods.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Frolick:

They do have an "add-on" for the La Venus monograph which provides additional drawings.  I don't have that one, just the original.

There'is the La Belle Poule monograph in which the plans are set for bulkheads, not frames.  Le Renommee of 1744 has a monograph. And there's the latest frigate monograph for L' Hermione.

I'm not sure it qualifies as true frigate but also Bonhomme Richard.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)