HMS Bounty by GlennS_TX - Corel - 1:130 Scale

I think you are doing fine, and learning a lot in the process. As for producing with our hands what our minds eye envisions I don't think there is anyone here who has been able to do that.

Might I be so forward though to suggest that you might take the last third of the wale and run it parallel to the shear like you did in the forward two thirds. Also extend the copper a little higher in the stern than at the bow. Most ships of this time drew more at the stern than they did at the bow when resting. I am not certain what the difference is for the Bounty. I think I would have raised the wale slightly and made the blue area thinner and added a little black between the wale and waterline. But there again I have not done ANY research on the Bounty and have no idea what is "right"

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lou, I had to lower the wales at the stern to make room for the side cabin windows last night. I will probably paint the planks below the wale black. Just need to be careful. Masking tape pulls up the copper. And I'll raise the copper on the stern. Unfortunately, there isn't a stern diagram showing the position of the waterline.

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

USS Enterpise CV-6, Revell 1/1200

Completed Builds :

USS Constitution Plastic Refit. See Avatar and Cover Photo

USS Arizona BB-39, Revell, 1:426

The shipyard’s crane operator had one too many at lunch and scored her hull.

44828435625_46f8c15c31_b.jpg

Nah. The glue doesn’t bond well on the paint. And it’s time to install her channels. So I used a filing stick to sand off the paint where they should go.

44828435455_8bb8d0b282_b.jpg

Cathead, you see that piece of 1x2 wood in front of the main channel. Those are false stanchions for the gunwale rail. But the directions don’t show that one. There’s a dotted line if you’re looking at the. Close enough. I noticed it while I zoomed in on the picture of their built model. 

Edited by Glenns_TX

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Looks like you are making progress.

The wale looks a little like it has a little wow in it where it curves up and then down again bt to me at least it much better than it was. It also looks like you will have to bring the copper right up to the wale at the stern.

In other models I have built, (RC models years ago) I became quite fond of using silicone sealant or glue to attach dissimilar items to decks and other places where you have a relatively large attachment area. I once glued a capstan that has a base of about 1" across onto the stern of a 1/48th scale ocean going tug and was able to tow two people around the lake in an inflatable raft without any issues. It is still firmly attached firmly today some twenty years later with only a thin film of glue between it and the hull. Things like copper strips would probably need something to hold them in place while the glue sets up (30-60 minutes), over night for a full cure. VERY tenacious stuff when set, yet pretty easy clean up if you clean it before it fully sets. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

She is slowly taking shape. Yesterday, I cleaned up her paint. And glued on her port and starboard cabin windows. Today, I drilled holes for eye bolts and false dead-eyes. Glued in all the eye bolts and the port foremast dead-eyes.

43957692540_5647279466_b.jpg

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

On 11/3/2018 at 11:26 PM, Glenns_TX said:

Like everything else with this build, I cannot seem to make my vision reality.

Very few of us do on our first model! Far more important is whether you make it to the finish line or not.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

This is getting frustrating. I glued on her stern windows. Then her name. Followed by the decoration above. Well I used padded alligator clamps to hold that on. And look what happened to her name when I removed them.

30850784947_8664f1319b_b.jpg

Not to mention her stern windows. The center one appears centered over the keel. And the others are more or less evenly spaced from it. And yet there is still extra space on her port.

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Not sure what to do about the "Bounty" except possibly go down to your local stationary store and see if you can get some Letterset stick on letters and do a Do-over.

http://www.pcbsupplies.com/dry-transfer-lettering-white-letters-by-letraset/

You could possibly soak the windows off and re-glue the outer windows into the right position then center the middle window and lastly center the other two windows in the remaining spaces. That should make them evenly spaced all the way across and reach the full distance. 

You need to remember you are not dealing with a very high grade quality kit and that makes some things harder than you might expect. Don't be so tough on yourself. Everything you are doing, you are doing for the first time!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, Glenns_TX said:

This is getting frustrating. I glued on her stern windows. Then her name. Followed by the decoration above. Well I used padded alligator clamps to hold that on. And look what happened to her name when I removed them.

30850784947_8664f1319b_b.jpg

Not to mention her stern windows. The center one appears centered over the keel. And the others are more or less evenly spaced from it. And yet there is still extra space on her port.

Microsoft word works wonders for printing out new labels and nameplates.

If you’re not happy with the windows, just pop them off and reglue them. 

You’re doing great!  Keep at it!

Take your time and enjoy.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks guys. I haven’t give up. Removed the name decal. Going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to find an alternative. Tried to straighten up and better space her windows. But with imprecise cuts and stern shaping have made it impossible to get perfect. That’s OK.

31934378168_f133d959b9_b.jpg

Then cut and added the tiller box, plastic wood grates and her wheel.

31934378188_50280cf3a3_b.jpg 31934378158_4e0c8eae6b_b.jpg

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

I need some help with capstans. The vertical capstan, which is between Main and Mizzen masts are built from wood. The horizontal capstan(Or is it a windlasss) behind the foremast, is diecast metal. Would the Bounty's capstan barrels been wood or iron? I'm unsure how to paint the one behind her foremast.

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Worked on belaying racks. Not sure how anyone can carve the caps they say to make. Tomorrow the pumps and main deck hatchway.

45096143364_9ceec1a231_b.jpg

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

The capstans would have been wood.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I revisited the belaying racks. They needed more detail than I could achieve with my exacto knife.  For some reason I got the idea to use needle files. So I found some tonight. And gently filed the rack posts. This is better than last night’s version. Wish I hadn’t hacked too much off the fore mizzen belaying racks.

44019174020_348da34481_b.jpg 45111047874_27906125dd_b.jpg

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Nice recovery. On to bigger, (Hopefully) and better things!:D:cheers:

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

So, to build the main hatchway, the instructions and plans say to use 3mm x 1mm for the planks. But the kit only came with two strips of them for the wales. And that did not leave enough left over for 12 planks. Where do you guys get Walnut strips?

image.thumb.png.9022f37023db197f0c556c4a99b7377e.png

image.png.bebc0d43324fa593bd977e8f4d7578ed.png image.png.b54b1d810183c75623ce07b868401779.png

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Are there other pieces of  wood strip in the kit left over from other things you have done? If so then you could just use small sections of that wood for your hatch cover instead. If you have a local hobby shop, most of them usually have wood supplies suitable for ship building as well.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

There is a little 2x1. But they show to be used for 6 more belaying racks, hand rails and crows nests. Guess I'm going shopping.

When I kit says use walnut stips, are they walnut wood? Or just stained basswood?

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Last night, I built her pumps. What were the pumps for? And rubbed natural finish danish oil on her decks. Tonight, I installed the pumps and her ladders. As well as brushed them with the oil. Built and installed the vertical capstan. Forgot to drill the holes in the top before installing. I’ll do that tomorrow. Also cut the four 2 x 1 mm belaying racks for Main and Mizzen masts which go on the port and starboard bulwarks. But they need to soak overnight. The first 2 cracked when I tried to drill or puncture them.

Built her cradle to. But she rocks a little.  I need to make the keel openings deeper.

45805795752_d03ba9acb8_b.jpg

45805795742_b30d3b99f6_b.jpg

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

The pumps were to remove excess water from the lower areas of the ship.

For the wood you want, buy what you can that is about the right size and either leave it natural color or stain it if you want it darker. Your choice.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

The kit has a bunch of .6 x 3 mm Tangynika strips left over from the decking. And the plans only call for its use for decking and crows nests. So I will probably use that for the hatchway.

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

4 hours ago, Glenns_TX said:

So I will probably use that for the hatchway.

There you go, problem solved again!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Nearing completion of her deck. I’ll post some picks of her completed deck in a few days.

45147696684_f1ea30ba60_b.jpg

That means I’ll be starting on her masts, yards and rigging. I plan to review Mr. Mastini’s take on this part. As well as any of the PDFs here. But his book and many of the other construction pdf’s tend to focus on lower scale larger builds. My little ship may require special considerations.

During the re-rigging of my 1/159 USS Constitution, I recall thinking it would be easier if I installed one mast and it’s standing rigging at a time. Working from bow to stern. What do you guys suggest?

Edited by Glenns_TX

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

I am no expert, heck I'm not even a novice, but I think you will find the same is true here. Do the standing rigging first starting at the foremast and work your way aft to the Mizzen. Some people may also like to do the fore stays along the center line before do the back stays along the outer hull.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Progress has been a little slow. Despite soaking the 2x1mm strips for the main and Mizzen masts’ port and starboard pin racks, they split when drilling. So I used scrap walnut from laser cut pieces. Wish I shaped them better. But I was afraid of breaking them or trimming too much. I glued the on. The. Set all the pins. As well as the eye bolts to lash the launch. 

I  had been debating leaving off her hand rails for fear of breaking them while rigging. But decided it would be more difficult to install them later. I was thinking of painting them yellow. But I’m going to try the oil first. If it looks good, I’ll go with that. The Admiralty were very cheap on the Bounty. They mocked it and its mission. They did not want to deal with it. So maybe the hand rails were unpainted.

30962869917_98f411a5a2_b.jpg 32030693508_c121dd92ee_b.jpg

Edited by Glenns_TX

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

So now you get to go from horizontal sticks to vertical sticks! :D That's called progress! Congratulations

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Not much to report. Busy day doing other things. But tonight I did manage to cut the dowels which make up her masts and bow sprit. Tapered as needed. Then glued them together. Cut and tapered 3 yards.

this is a small kit. Her rigging isn’t very detailed. She did not come with any dead eyes or blocks. Should I bother trying to simulate them by glueing wood scrap in position on the rigging? As for foot ropes, I imagine they would only hand at most 2mm from her yards if I wanted that level of detail.

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :

Wood scraps in the rigging would look kind of tacky, at least in my opinion for what it is worth. I think it would much better if you buy some 1 or 2 mm seed beads. They still don't look exactly like blocks but they are cheap and easy to work with. As for dead eyes they are readily available through a number of dealers here on MSW and elsewhere. They are also much easier to make using a dowel and small drill. You might want to give it a try before just going super simple. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This weekend, I began the masts. The plan is pretty simple. So I followed the plan. 

32093535248_1f08831322_b.jpg 32093535268_7088735247_b.jpg

But the more I thought about it, the more I thought I could do it better. So I thought about using deadeyes. But the dead eyes at this scale are 2mm and 1.5mm. I cannot make them with the tools I have. I can buy 2 and 2.5mm deadeyes. But I’m undecided. That’s still small. So I tabled that for now.

I looked back at Mastini’s book on masts and compared its drawing with the masts in this plan. And thought about how to make the masts similar to his using what I have. First I confirmed this mast technique was in use in the late 18th century. So I carefully broke the glue bonds on the fore mast. Filed the tops of the lower and upper fore.  Then used 2x2mm for the lower fore’s Trestletrees. And 2x1mm for its cheeks. I’ll use 2x1’s for its Crosstrees. For the upper fore, I used 2x1mm for the Trestletrees and 1x1 for the Cross trees. And I’ll deck them with 3x0.6mm Tangynika strips. I’ll need to buy some ply to make the mast tops.

45240385104_aa95298842_b.jpg

Edited by Glenns_TX

Builds In-progress :

HMS Bounty, Corel 1/130

Completed Builds :