Medway Longboat - Keel, Frames and build board discussion

Question on gluing the keel on top of the frames.  The slots for the frames on the build board allow for some side to side movement for adjustment purposes.  I am concerned that if the frames are not exactly centered on the keel, then this will cause problems when it comes to planking the hull.  Does anyone have any suggestions that would help to make sure that the frames are properly aligned on the keel?

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

It wont really cause issues.   They play on the baseboard slots was done on purpose.  Just do your best to center them.  When you fair the hull it will make up for any small issues.   Keep going......

Chuck

7 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Question on gluing the keel on top of the frames.  The slots for the frames on the build board allow for some side to side movement for adjustment purposes.  I am concerned that if the frames are not exactly centered on the keel, then this will cause problems when it comes to planking the hull.  Does anyone have any suggestions that would help to make sure that the frames are properly aligned on the keel?

When I glued the keel to the frames, I used a divider to measure the distance on each frame from the rabbet to where the floor and top timbers meet (where the frame doubles in thickness).  I tried to get that distance equal on each side for each frame.( of course that distance varies for each frame).  Most frames were right on with no adjustments. Only a few I tweaked 1-2 mm either way to center the frame. 

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

• 1 month later...

Yes I believe that would be a step too far!!!   Its mostly covered up and will also weaken the frames considerably in my opinion.  I would guess they were nailed together.

• 4 years later...