Planking your Medway Longboat - Discussions and Questions

• 2 weeks later...

Nice mermaid!  I think I saw her in a bar in Vegas.  :D

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Just in case.....here is a PDF of all the external planks.   In case you need to trace some new ones OR make tiny adjustments for your model.  You will soon see that all of the 1/32" sheets of laser cut cedar have ample space left over (done on purpose) so if you need to make new planks, you can do so without buying new sheets of cedar.

external planks just in case.pdf

Chuck

Lining off and planking the hull....I tried to not get to wonky but I did want to add as much detail as possible.  As you guys already know,  this is much harder to write about than it looks so I hope it makes sense.  Please let me know if you guys have any questions.

Part two.....

PartTwo.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

When I did mine all but one matched up which showed me I had that one frame slightly off center.

I compensated for that when I lined it out.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

OK.....you guys are going to laugh your heads off!!!!!:D  All of you who bought kits already should have two of planking sheet "P".  Of course due to a typo on my materials list where I didnt place the (2) next to P.....means all of you got just one sheet "p".   Because I of course followed my own mistake on the materials list.  I must be tired.  So next week I will ship one planking sheet "P" to every person who bought a kit so far.   No biggie.  Sorry for the mix up.   Unless you got 2 sheet P's because if I had extras I just stuck them in some kits.   Please let me know so I can save on shipping you a new one needlessly.

If by chance you dont want to wait because you are planking right now....you have more than enough room on the bottom of each 1/32" sheet to cut those planks.   But if you can wait....you will soon just get a sheet of planks in the mail.   I will try and ship them all next week......argh!!!! 

Sorry again......Good times for me.  Stupid mistake....:default_wallbash:

Just buy a whle roll of every size available on ebay.  Sunset amnesia I believe is the name.  Its great stuff.   And cheap.

On 12/6/2018 at 6:45 PM, Chuck said:

So next week I will ship one planking sheet "P" to every person who bought a kit so far. 

Sorry again......Good times for me.  

I received the 'Sheet P' today in the mail.  Received in perfect shape. 

This is one of the many reasons Syren is leaps and bounds above the rest.  Everyone else would have waited till someone complained.  Chuck was proactive and made it all good.....

Thank you Sir!!!! 😃

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Recieved P-2 in the mail. I was missing it but had no idea (yet). Just like the kid whom tosses the gift and plays with the box the “packing” wood is Nice. 

Do you have advice on applying the wipe on poly?  I am finishing a ship and cloth does not get the corners and cotton things leave lint. Is there an easy way to do finish work like the inside of this hull after assembly?  

I use a brush to apply and a clean brush to wipe or buff it off afterwards.  Use a cheap brush unless you want to clean them....I usually buy a bag of cheapo brushes for kids crafts and dump them when I am done.

• 1 month later...

Yes...That is all I am using.  They will get darker after you apply some wipe on poly.   I am running the pencil down only one edge of each seam.  

Chuck