Liveship Vivacia by Nikbud - Mantua - 1/64 - kitbashed from the Mantua Pinta kit

Cabin stuff…….

The Captains cabin will have two windows on the stern and also a window on each side, so although here will not be any lighting inside, the inside will be visible to some degree.

One thing I have taken from making the interior of other models id that whilst every detail, line or shade may not be exactly discernible to the observer, the fact that it is there gives an impression of realism and authenticity.

First off was a table for Capn Kennit to peruse his charts. It was made from some scrap wood and the underside was sanded along the edges to make it appear thinner.

1201.thumb.jpg.2da73f864097e06137e8601c80ee5562.jpg

I photo’d a map from the books, and suitably old map from the web (of Fowey in Cornwall), printed them out, rolled one up as a scroll, made a ruler out of wood and a pair of dividers out of paper (yes, they are BIG dividers!)

1202.thumb.jpg.a3043c57a0452e2118669177f1785807.jpg

I made a couple of chairs, and a mock up of the bunk (double of course, Kennit IS a pirate!) and wardrobe and placed them on the cabin space.

1203.thumb.jpg.01c83f5f986700ac74a07bf212e72bbc.jpg

Whilst I know that space on ship is at a premium, I thought that this was too cramped for the cabin of a rich Bingtown Trader (whom the ship was originally built for) so I changed the table to a smaller one and moved the orientation of the bunk

1204.thumb.jpg.5a494884939f2c38383cdea54cc907aa.jpg

I realised that the walls were too thin. I would need to either show the frames or make the walls thicker. I decided that, for the money that was being paid for this ship (in the books) that the walls would be planked or panelled. As I think I said at the beginning the ship would be well built but not ostentatious, so planking it is.

At this point I decided to paint the interior. I decided that the cabin would be resplendent in mahogany so I set about getting a nice reddish brown.

I used Tamiya Hull Red, Cryla artists Burnt Sienna acrylic, and Citadel’s Mechrite Red and Blood Red. I used a wet palette and mixed the colours willy-nilly. The wet palette keeps the acrylics from drying out and allows me to constantly apply different shades and thickness of paint. This eliminates having everything just one colour, and as I said, adds to the realism.

1205.thumb.jpg.04b66c674b6ac4b1c80d8d2839143a50.jpg

1206.thumb.jpg.41ae23d2d4daf5d45816e3ca85374cd0.jpg

1207.thumb.jpg.6d2abfad7b424fdfacf9802ded7568c6.jpg

I wasn’t happy with how I had painted the door in the cabin so I tried to improve it with some pencil colours.

1208.thumb.jpg.62a53d0ea86bd3d4358cf93c03f8063a.jpg

It didn’t work.

So I made a new wall and door which will be stuck to the b/h. The door itself was cut out of the wall, and then sanded thin to give the impression of depth. A tiny thin strip (maple?) was placed around the door to give the impression of a frame - because of the rise of the deck the door would open outwards.

1209.thumb.jpg.f4acb67e4c7be584e33c0df79301db35.jpg

Captain Kennit at last approves, although I still have to paint the wall/door a mahogany colour.

1210.thumb.jpg.b742308c72c3287186dc6128fad23e82.jpg

Thanks for looking and if you have any criticism or ideas, please keep ‘em coming.

Cheers

Paul

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

Mark, thank you so much for the kind words, they are very, very much appreciated. Although it might not sound like it, I am very much enjoying this build. This is the first model I have made where I have not had instructions to look through - while I have always deviated from model instructions, they have always been there and given me a mental map. With this build I keep finding things that I hadn’t thought of initially, so I have to re-adjust quite often.

With that in mind I have a little update and a dilemma I’d like you guys to help with…….

I wanted to make a luxury chair for the cabin, as Captain Kennit pointed out “there is no point being a pirate if you cannot enjoy the spoils now is there”.  I thought a green leather, high backed chair, would fit the bill.

I got some DAS modelling clay, which I have never used before. It’s a lot softer and more fibrous than I expected. I also doesn’t stick to wood without adhesive - I had hoped it would stick to the wood while drying, but no go. the bonus with DAS is that its air drying and doesn’t need to be baked.

I made various components for the chair, a blanket, pillows cushions etc and left the clay to dry.

1301.thumb.jpg.5dc48c605b1bb4f61b806bb5495259ba.jpg

I tried aliphatic glue to stick the clay onto the wooden components. which worked.

1302.thumb.jpg.e2950777ae02591893e3f7d6c2c36285.jpg

Once dry I sanded the chair to shape - the clay sands very easily. I also laminated some thin wood strips and after a lot of sanding made a wooden chest, after all every pirate needs a treasure chest. Both need painting/staining ….

1303.thumb.jpg.eccfc46c4788f6493a38ce5f7f1185b4.jpg

As always I put the cabin together to see how it all looks……

1304.thumb.jpg.37c04938043b1746902a2bcf79c21ccf.jpg

1305.thumb.jpg.982cff0c7ff6b4c991d767f94805f354.jpg

1306.thumb.jpg.df0f01a9cae15f710084d39304ff23f2.jpg

1307.thumb.jpg.d2ec44c6eccdeb4c6228aefbc137889e.jpg

So now I have a dilemma;

I quite like how the bulkhead wall and door look unpainted. I think it gives almost an oak type look.

My options are

1 paint the b/h wall and door to match the sides.

2 leave the wall/ door and sides as they are.

3 leave the wall/door as they are but paint the sides a walnut type colour to match the wood that will be on the outside - will also have to paint the wardrobe and bunk to match.

4 remake the sides, bunk and wardrobe to match the oak look of the wall/door.

5 any combination of the above……

At the moment I am leaning towards no.4, but I’m interested in everyones thoughts.

No4 will mean that I can’t hide mistakes with paint!

Thanks for looking

Cheers!

Last night, while flicking through the tv channels, I ended up watching JAWS2, you know "just when you thought is was safe to go back in the water...….". 

So Mark, you must have known this because just when I thought it was safe to post a pic of a completed but unpainted chair you come up with....

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

To make the chair more lifelike I would have pushed little "buttons" into the clay while it was still wet to give the leather creases and make it look realistic. Then prime, paint and stain with a black oil to accentuate those creases and finish off with a dry brush tone a little lighter than the color of the leather. Just a thought there mate. 

Edited 4 hours ago by Wallace

At first I thought "uh huh, no way not in this scale" but before I knew it out came the clay.

I flattened a few pieces of clay and set about with a cocktail stick. But no matter what I tried with different points on the stick, it didn't work. I could get the indentation but I just couldn't form the creases. Stick, sharp knife, blunt knife, swearing, nothing worked. I had thought that I could wait for the clay to dry a bit, but knowing that the clay takes at least 24 hours to dry, I had no way of knowing when the skin would be thick enough for me to form the creases when I made the button indent, and at this scale I guessed that the point, however blunt, would pierce the skin.

I realised that the only way would be to make the creases at the same time as the indent, so next I tried to hold a piece of thread taught across the clay whilst I pushed the point of the cocktail stick down - unfortunately it was too hit and miss and ended up nearly cutting the clay in half. 

Eventually I came up with the idea that I think will work.

I rolled out and flattened a piece of clay and then, holding a piece of thread between both hands, pushed the thread down onto the clay. By repeatedly doing this, first on one diagonal and then the other I created the creases. By then using the cocktail stick to make the indentations at the intersection of the diagonals, I think I have come up with something that will work.

They will require some cleanup when dry but for an initial try they don't look too bad;

1308.thumb.jpg.e0235bbd7f1cc6d4d1989223422118b8.jpg

I will see what they are like when they are dry...……….

Thanks again Mark!!😁

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a good xmas and are set up for a merry New Year!

I have managed to get the odd hour here and there in the shipyard so I have made a little progress - enough for this update to be in 2 parts…….

Marks’ suggestion of Option 6 got me thinking. The only way I could think of to achieve this was to use framing/panelling.

I first tried it on the door,

1401.thumb.jpg.4004f474894da9160966a146c8038cd3.jpg

and then painted the frame the same colour as the walls.

1402.thumb.jpg.8ba28b77fa1e56372b73368d4282888b.jpg

I liked the effect so I knew that I would have to remake the wardrobe and the bunk. Whilst I was building the carcass of the wardrobe I wondered if I could make a curtain for it instead of a door. I was also thinking about whether to have curtains on the windows, (still not sure about that). So I spent an afternoon trying various ways of making curtains. The solution I came up with was to wet some kitchen roll with 50/50 pva then using some cut up brass pipe (the same pipe that I used for scuppers on the Virginia), I placed the kitchen roll over and under the sections of pipe.

1403.thumb.jpg.2e0082364883c23c0278f466b17287e0.jpg

I used a hot air gun to speed up the drying time. I also tried using a handkerchief (leftover from making the Virginia sails) and a piece of linen (out of an old sofa). The brass gave a good fold in the material without sharp edges and once dry I could squeeze the folds together using tweezers. The best result was from using the handkerchief.

1404.thumb.jpg.b4fa9f86c4079dded5f154b72f086990.jpg

I painted the curtain red (colour coordinated lol) and test fitted into the carcass of the wardrobe. I think it works! The white bits in the curtain are the light shining through the material and are not visible in real life.

1405.thumb.jpg.d779e10589566035b598ef9b9bd374f1.jpg

I needed (well, Kennit demanded) more storage in the cabin so I did away with the round table and decided to replace it with a chest of drawers with a fold-down table on top.

1406.thumb.jpg.5c74c6aeed74098ceefebab7dd6fd1f4.jpg

1407.thumb.jpg.009398f78b48a95b6a3a25ac93509c68.jpg

I painted up some 0.5mm strip and applied it to the wardrobe/chest and bunk/cupboard. The white circle in the cupboard is Kennits’ porcelain sink. I laminated some thin strip to paper to make the drawers for the chest so they would stand slightly proud of the surface. I will also need to make a drawer for the bottom half of the bunk.

1408.thumb.jpg.90dc2f2d1ef188ffde1dee3ca221dd6c.jpg

I wanted to show Kennits Raven Flag on the blanket for his bed, so I glued some kitchen roll to a thin bit of dried clay, leaving a few wrinkles, painted it red and then painted the raven. Unfortunately it still looks like paint so I’m going to bin it.

1409.thumb.jpg.7ec040b7ee87e84348b356c8544f4764.jpg

Its beginning to look a bit more like how I imagined it would be, taking into account of the technology and time period present in the books.

1410.thumb.jpg.e787682c6a95f944a3dad77f4627c066.jpg

I knew that I had to put something on the side of the wardrobe - it was a large blank space. Initially it was going to be a piece of art but then I remembered that in the novels Kennit demanded that Wintrow (cabin boy/protégé) teach Etta (Kennits “woman”) how to read and allowed them to use his books. So a bookcase it would be - but I needed some books….

Different thicknesses of wood were cut roughly to size and sanded smooth,

1501.thumb.jpg.c4a1b386d624d5e3ce77f5bd6f275e84.jpg

and then painted to look like old style books,

1502.thumb.jpg.b25c883650bf5b35a12ad1b0adf739bf.jpg

The shelving was painted and the books glued down. Obviously in “real life” the books would not be glued down and would end up trashed in a rough sea so there is some thin rope to hold them in place.

1503.thumb.jpg.733f363c2599f63b286e6f2656b6c186.jpg

Whilst teaching Etta to read, Wintrow sits on the floor on a rug, so a rug was made. A bit of the sail/curtain/handkerchief was painted and when dry cut square to the run of the thread, and then some threads were removed at each end to give a tassel effect.

1503a.thumb.jpg.997af2867578fdcf2db877d3ee624207.jpg

The face of the draw for under the bunk was made. After specific threats from Captain Kennit, King Of The Pirate Isles, along the lines of there was no way he would put up with cracking his ankles on drawer knobs, I made some hand cut outs along the top of the drawer.

1504.thumb.jpg.311c40608902f7d44ca1cd996dd065c8.jpg

There was still a blank space under the books. More books? No, Kennit liked the finer things in life so he needed to have a few bottles of the finest wines…..

I raided the kids lego spares boxes (with little bloodshed) and found some clear rods of different colours. The Pirate Gods must have been on my side as these rods fitted perfectly into the collet of my dremel. I worried that the plastic would melt spinning so fast in the dremel but I found that by cutting with the needle file every other couple of seconds there was no melting. I made a couple of bottles of red wine and a bottle of white wine. I will need to redo these as I found out a way to polish them after I had finished them. I then chanced my arm and made some glasses.

The first was too bulbous - I may turn it into the base for a paraffin lamp, the second was a bit thick, but the third was just right! Well not quite as its about six scale inches wide but probably as good as its going to get.

I found some polishing compound that came with the micro mesh sanding kit and it worked well on the glasses, hence the need/ability to redo the bottles;

1505.thumb.jpg.c47fbdb7358c745a33d7a863ad43932b.jpg

And yes I really did turn them in the dremel;

1506.thumb.jpg.7dcd51bf25fff715885952ba030d84f4.jpg

So this is the current state of play,

1507.thumb.jpg.24fd86f26359fb90c3b84db9e954445d.jpg

Over the next couple of weeks I plan to make the blanket and pillows for the bunk, finish the chair, make a mirror for the door, make some art and lamps for the walls and make another chest with a cushion on the top. At some point I will have to cut windows into the walls………..

Close up in these pics it all looks a bit rough and ready but life size its not too bad. As always, your comments, criticism and advice are always welcome.

Cheers &

Happy New Year!

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Wow, are you making a doll house instead of a ship? Just kidding, it looks great. The way you made the bottles and glass....just great! I am not to fond of paint tho, I preffer stains, but on your ship it works out well. Keep going! :)

A huge thanks to you all for the comments and likes, they are very much appreciated.

Mark, I must say a thank you for opening the can! It helped get me to look deeper into what I was doing and what I want to achieve. In that vein I have to agree with you Peter; I too prefer stain rather than paint, and that was the intention when I started, but I got too heavy handed. Something was bugging me about the cabin and I think you have hit the nail on the head...…..

….. I hope to show you all my fix early next year!

Cheeeeers !!!

Just thought I’d add a little update so that I start the new year with the log up to date.

As I said in my last update I needed to redo the bottles so I could polish them. In the end I made 5 and an extra glass. all were made from lego rods turned in the dremel. When I was polishing them in the dremel some thread from the cloth I was using caught around the bottles - I have left it on as it looks a bit like a bottle top, a bit of 50/50 pva with sort out the fluffiness….

1601.thumb.jpg.657df7b76b6ea108abbf039e42f99f66.jpg

I was having too much fun to stop turning so I made a couple of oil lamps. The left one is made from one piece with the bottom painted, the right one uses a piece of the brass pipe that I used to help shape the curtains. the painted one will sit on the table and the other will be on a little shelf on the bulkhead above the bunk.

1602.thumb.jpg.d47a6411049b4734421d66e92e8f9cad.jpg

So this was the state of play, before I started thinking….

1603.thumb.jpg.95edf1d98c57e17158bc37827186f6ae.jpg

The comments made by Mark and Peter have been invaluable, especially with a build like this where there are no plans to follow apart what is in my own head. Two words kept running around my head; detail and paint…..

No matter what I did the painted wood looked like paint on wood - and looked a bit bland.

So I had an idea. I checked my wood stock and found just enough of the outer hull planking (mahogany I think) from my Virginia build.

First step was to take apart all the furniture………

1604.thumb.jpg.72a2cc6839354a98e098de7a848978bd.jpg

I started with the door. I replaced the painted wood on the door with the mahogany and also added thin strips for the doorframe.

1605.thumb.jpg.1fa2ea7693ead43bb7a5b6bc44bf7e71.jpg

The word detail kept coming to me. I had a tool that I haven’t used for years and which I was going to use for the windows so I thought I would give it a try in the door and the drawers,

1607.thumb.jpg.5a4928425353b6953ae39c1fa45c631e.jpg

I love using the lining (or bow) pen and I have been thinking hard how to incorporate its use with the painted wood, but like I said painted wood looked like painted wood. Unfortunately the paint was a bit too thin when I did the door so it has spread a little - time will tell if I keep it or redo the door, I may not have too as there will be a large mirror on the door.

As I had taken everything apart I had to redo the books, which I had wanted to do as the first ones looked a bit messy. I think these look neater and newer,

1608.thumb.jpg.bea0376e296d26511a5e398420e5cb2a.jpg

Having changed the wood I will now have to plank the walls in the same wood, which means I will first have to thin out the walls I have or make new ones. The mahogany looks a bit rough in close up photos but looks good from normal viewing distance. Ideally I would have used walnut instead of the mahogany, but the hull will be planked in walnut and that represents the “wizardwood” and only the frames planking and sometimes the decking used wizardwood, furniture would not have been made from this.

So this is a dry fit of the wardrobe/drawers/table with the new wood. I’m hoping that this is the final incarnation!

1609.thumb.jpg.da1353bac9ef4e5f0d5f1b0354ac4976.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who has read, liked or commented, and I wish you all a very Merry New 2019.

May your saws never blunt and your glue always stick!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Mark.

Not gonna be able to open the shipyard for a few days so the new year will start with me wishing the first few days away!

33 minutes ago, Wallace said:

……... and you have turned out some nice stuff mate. ……..

Pun intended??😄

Sublime work, the choice to do the work over again with mahogany paid off sir! Excellent work. The oil lamps, red lining all looks good.

happy new year my friend, and keep pushing for capt. Kenneth. The Daring and Undefeated Captain Kennit. His lordship, royal behindness, son of the amazing Lucto Ludlock, grandson of  Sedge Ludlock! 

Edited by Katsumoto

Thank you Peter, your opinion means a lot, and Happy new year to you.

Captain Kennit requires that you refer to him correctly and reminds everyone that keelhauling helps with memory retention...….

I am advised to inform you that his correct title is;

"The daring and Undefeated Pirate Captain Kennit, King of the Pirate Isles by Virtue of His Boldness and Cunning"

(He is also an impatient, vain pain in the a@@.........)  🙄

Hi everyone and welcome to the first log update of 2019;

After rebuilding the wardrobe /drawer/table I rebuilt the bunk/sidedrawers. I did the same as for the wardrobe, basically replaced the painted wood with the mahogany. I also replaced the drawer unit. It was a bit wonky after the destruction and I didn’t like the look of the porcelain sink - and anyway the sink would have had a cover to allow the unit to be used through the day, so I just modelled to top closed. I lowered the height of the bunk carcase so that I could model a little dip in the side, just to make getting into the bunk a little easier. I laminated a few strips of walnut to make another chest that will sit along the back wall - this chest has a flat top to allow a cushion/seat on top. The other chest still has to be stained; I’m thinking of mixing up a dark oak type colour.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos during the bunk reconstruction, but here is a finished dry fit shot;

1701.thumb.jpg.3e35004ba98f5addfe3c06d0e7c5620c.jpg

Every bunk needs pillows. After trying different methods without success I found a couple of whitemetal flour sacks from my model railway supplies. I covered them with the handkerchief/curtain etc material and covered them in glue;

1702.thumb.jpg.afd5435af52bd1369e4a653a0fa9cb5e.jpg

…….then painted them white;

1703.thumb.jpg.ebc7b3486188d43c7c7b861dbf77f231.jpg

……….and cut to shape.

1704.thumb.jpg.b8574754bf8404538e3c107d7ba1811d.jpg

At last I had to turn to the chair that I started a while ago. Mark had given me some input as to the correct scale but I wasn’t happy with what I had made so I have spent a while thinking of different ways to achieve what I wanted. I came to the conclusion that I needed a jig;

The first step was to shape and then glue three sets of seven toothpicks;

1705.thumb.jpg.5b49fdc15adc80fe314e088f8fd6dc5e.jpg

Then when dry the three sets were glued together;

1706.thumb.jpg.acfaea65663e0a5f61c0bd63c6abdef6.jpg

I then rolled out different thicknesses of DAS clay, held a piece of cling film taut over the surface of the clay, and used my jig to imprint the clay.

1707.thumb.jpg.4f93fcdfed8699c183408384f9cbe55a.jpg

After some shaping and fitting I painted the chair, cushion for the chest and a footstool. I used Citadel Foundation Mechrite Red. I like using the Citadel paints for brush painting, they don’t dry as quick as Tamiya paints.

1708.thumb.jpg.a0fc37dde436518f2754cbf830de8d73.jpg

I then washed them with a Citadel Gryphonne Sepia wash and then drybrushed them with a bit of Blood Red. the drybrushing left them very rough so I polished them.

In fact I polished them, and all the mahogany in the cabin, the bulkhead and the deck, with a natural beeswax cream. I brushed on the cream, brushed any excess off and then with a stiff brush rubbed until the pieces shone. On the bare wood I also used a fine sanding stick from Squadron - the stick is so well used its just a polishing stick now!

1709.thumb.jpg.63be1c61bd24c266b9c76a074040bc3d.jpg

1710.thumb.jpg.8882d4cd649713c75e84988a456454d8.jpg

That’s all for now, Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Thanks Mark, Very kind words indeed. I am pleased with how it has all turned out. I do thank you and Peter for giving me a little nudge and advice, gave me the push that I wanted.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

I do take it that this is now finished and you wont be ripping it to pieces again?  :)

Definitely! I think I have reached the limit of my capabilities, and my sanity...... When I started the cabin back in November I thought it would only take a couple of days......😂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, time for an update;

As has become the norm with this build there is a little bit of building preceded by a lot of thinking coupled with a few changes of mind……

So, after I finished the cabin furniture the next job was to plank the inner cabin walls, but I needed to cut out the windows first. I have been inspired by the windows in Peter’s (Katsumoto) Santa Maria 1492 build so I spent some time thinking of what I wanted, and what I could achieve. I eventually decided on a flattened arch window. I found an image on the web, resized it on the computer and printed it out;

1800.thumb.jpg.bde6568bda9ae31104e183fb3ca6eded.jpg

I made different templates out of card to see which would fit the best, and stuck with my first choice;

1801.thumb.jpg.aedf54afb4eb5727c115fa579fa47774.jpg

I used my dremel to roughly cut out the windows in the side walls and the window and door openings in the aftercastle entrance bulkhead

1802.thumb.jpg.25c3a351b3e0b1b64b2b2d97fe868d42.jpg

and cleaned the openings up with needles files and sanding sticks

1803.thumb.jpg.5ef8623dde0814b5b63e16f57001d2ea.jpg

At this point the intention was plank the inner walls and windows/door frames out of the same mahogany I had used making the furniture, thus giving some continuity from inside to outside. I wasn’t looking forward to using the mahogany as it was brittle and splintery, but whilst chatting to Mark he suggested using something like ebony or teak. Unfortunately I couldn’t source either in the limited size and quantity I needed. It looked like I was stuck with the mahogany. The problem I had was that I wanted a contrast with the planking but couldn’t use walnut as that was representing the “wizardwood” hull planking and the upper planking was going to be dibetou, so I couldn’t use that. It wasn’t until later that day that I remembered a sheet of 1mm walnut that I had that was a lot lighter than the walnut planking that I had.

The plan now - and I’m sticking to it! - is

Maple - deck                    

Cherry - forecastle and aftercastle bulkhead planking

Dibetou - upper hull planking

Walnut - lower hull planking, frames, rails

light walnut sheet - doors windows

1804.thumb.jpg.7eb5f0abd5207c66a659a3c62b2cca0c.jpg

I decided that I wanted to show the upper deck beams in the cabin, so I thought I would show at least the face of the frames in the cabin. I will add the shoulders and deck beams when I get to the upper deck (should be about February………2021!) To do this I sanded some 1.5mm planking down to about .5mm

1805.thumb.jpg.7a92d561e3d6103fca88747d95a705f6.jpg

To show the frames I decided to plank the interior wall of the cabin in cherry

1806.thumb.jpg.6bd7cb6951e63f7625e823b82b7c43a1.jpg

Next job was to bend a strip of the light walnut to make the arch of the window frames. It was soaked for about 5 mins, clamped to a jar and heated with a heat gun

1807.thumb.jpg.c43b0fd2f18b59fdedfad242f619ca84.jpg

After much thought I decided to build the door/window frames on the aftercastle bulkhead before planking, I found that the cherry could chip when I planked the walls first and then cut out the window. It would mean more work when planking but I thought I would get a neater result, and more work means more fun !

The frames were made deeper than the depth of the bulkhead so that after planking I could sand it all level.

Here the side and arch frames are glued in but the bottom frame on each is left unglued. This is so that after planking I can remove them, sand the other frames flush with the planking and the replace the bottom frames giving a “windowsill” look

1808.thumb.jpg.22a2fb1941cd9b2b2310e7ced75a76fe.jpg

Using a sticky tape template for the next plank;

1809.thumb.jpg.16628bcb09ef6c43e26a8e0e68146616.jpg

And after sanding

1810.thumb.jpg.8a2dd6f9de09e1b93f1871b45553b3a5.jpg

Hopefully I can get the bulkhead finished in the next week or two. Then it'll be the side windows. At some point I need to finish the decoration for the cabin - mirror, pictures etc. The aftercastle, its sides and the bulkhead need gluing together and then attaching to the hull, and then I need to start on the forcastle bulkhead. All that should see me through to the summer!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for your comments, guys. The plan at the moment is to use Danish oil, but I haven't really given it a lot of thought. I used Danish oil on the Virginia and while I liked the effect on the darker wood, it made the lighter wood a bit too yellow. I am going to have to do some testing to see the effect on the maple and cherry.

Mark do you mean each end of the bulkhead? I have given this a lot of thought.....

The b/h will butt up to the wall like so; (pics looking down in plan view)

1820.jpg.1066c1ca51e1e97104b27317553ad03f.jpg

At the moment I have three options

first - cutting about 2mm of the edge of the planking and using a 3mm square frame to cover the join, this I can extend upwards to form a stanchion for the upper deck rail,

second - instead of the 3mm frame just use a thin piece to represent the frame, just as I did in the cabin (dotted line). I wont be able to continue this upwards tho.

1821.jpg.f333987165f1764ac2e8fdcf36fc6440.jpg

Third option is to use the planking to cover the join between the b/h and the wall;

1822.jpg.85df0ffc5549cc1e798c7f34575bf1e5.jpg

I think option 3 is the more likely one used in "real life", but I REALLY like the idea of option 1...….

Luckily I don't have to decide just yet 😁

I think I said somewhere on another thread that I was in awe of my late grandfather, a carpenter, who could make a window in a couple of days.

“Well, Grandad, whaddaya know? So can I!”…….

When I opened up the shipyard this afternoon I found this

1901.thumb.jpg.072eac624bbec93bd2e2a4fa703e073c.jpg

I have decided to become a fully paid up member of the ‘Bob Ross School Of Theory And Everything’;

So this is not a mistake, but a happy accident! I had thought of having the bulkhead curve but I couldn’t work out how to achieve it. I don’t know if this will be visible once the boat is all built up but I’m not going to worry about it.

The window…..

I taped a piece of squared paper to a piece of clear plastic. I used a piece from a stamp album insert and also tried a thicker piece from some old retail packaging.

I loaded up my lining pen with Boltgun Metal from Citadel, I think it gives a good representation of lead. Using a ruler I drew over the lines.

1901a.thumb.jpg.c430dab157a342a86239b60e83dabcb9.jpg

Once I got the paint consistency and the pen angle right I managed this on my fourth attempt.

1902.thumb.jpg.4a32ad15fa82557053cba43f98fb8d5d.jpg

While it was drying I glued in the windowsills and the uprights;

1903.thumb.jpg.e06704db1a342d64c832925f99ce41c6.jpg

I made a template of the window opening and cut out the correct shape from the plastic sheet

1904.thumb.jpg.e9aeea9673f5fb11a9c704eb1d97c6bf.jpg

I glued the window to the back of the upright using aliphatic glue.I cut some thin strips of the light walnut and placed them to represent the window frame. I will only do the framing on the port side of the port window and the starboard side of the starboard window, my sanity was stretched to the limit doing one, I can manage to do another one but not another three! The stern windows will be a little bigger so they should be a bit easier…….

1905.thumb.jpg.5817ca9b71f1f4a6d05dad658caccd7c.jpg

The window isn’t as neat as those produced by Peter, but as a first attempt I am quite happy with it. The bulkhead windows will be partially obscured by the rigging, staircases, columns and other deck paraphernalia. Hopefully with the stern windows being bigger and that I’ll have had more practice by then, the stern windows should be much neater!

Thanks for looking guys and as always all comments, ideas and criticism welcome.

Just don’t ask about hinges on the window, I tried hinges, hinges don't like me, I failed at hinges, there will be no hinges.

That's exactly what I was failing miserably at doing Mark!😢

To be fair I was trying to be too clever, too "in scale"; I was using 1mm lengths of 39 gauge wire (0.09mm), I couldn't even see it without my glasses and magnifying glass!! I have some thicker gauge wire but I need to get some metal blackener first, stuff that will work on brass and kanthal/steel.

When I have found my patience, (it might wander home tomorrow afternoon) I will try with a thicker wire and paint and next time I will put my magnifyers on!

Its interesting you say that you have a separate container, Mark. One of my problems is that if I keep tools separate I have a tendency to plow on using the tools in front of me rather than finding the correct tool that's in the container that's in the drawer that's in the cupboard. Its part of my tendency to rush things and one of the reasons I get everything out when I open the shipyard.

I need to find a jar with patience in it, it would need to be self and fast refilling tho!😁

Edited by nikbud

I managed to get a couple of hours in the shipyard today and made a little progress.

I started on the doorway. I made a doorstep and used a previously curved piece to form the top of the doorframe.

2001.thumb.jpg.5a22628b4d60d6ce45ef02ebf5b76362.jpg

Next up, and the most time consuming was the port window, building was the same as for the starboard window.

2002.thumb.jpg.5c281e835f930c6fa02a273ec0afcb57.jpg

At normal viewing distance the windows look pretty good, on the pics they look pretty ragged. I’m in two minds with them at the moment; on the one hand I could remake them, they would possibly be a little tidier but I think I’m about at the limit of my skills. On the other hand, like I said before, they will be difficult to see once all the rigging etc is on the boat, and I’m conscious of getting bogged down with detail that will hardly be seen. I’m sticking with them for the moment. I will make a decision when I have sourced the brass and the brass blackener and made the hinges - yes, there will be hinges after all! 

Back to the doorway. There will be a double door entrance to the aftercastle. Along with the upper frame and doorstep there will be a panel either side of the doors. I didn’t want plain/standard doors like in the captains cabin, so I’m going to try something a little different - I have no idea if it will work or not;

First step was to cut out the door shape and draw some diagonals,

2003.jpg.7f81978288a87185fe6e2633b3083329.jpg

I then cut a load of thin strips of the light walnut

2004.thumb.jpg.7a6a761dccde97cd74cd183f87844d79.jpg

The strips were glued onto the paper

2005.thumb.jpg.f407db45345ade5cd99e39f5831f0871.jpg

I have put them under some weight and shall see how they turn out tomorrow…………

Cheers!

Hmmm, interesting call on the ink, Mark. I have a few different coloured Citadel washes that I was thinking of using, but I like the idea of trying something new - I've never used ink before. Time for some experiments......

Strange; I'd got it in my head that I was going for a V shape for Vivacia - I never clicked that it would be a fishbone pattern!😲

Thanks for the shout on the windows, I will probably keep them......🤔

If you have a darker coloured wood you can make a V into the door. Just replace a few pieces of that light coloured walnut with a ebony colour to link to the name of the ship. So one part of the V into door one and the other part into the other. When closed you see the V. 

Great work and I would keep the Windows as well.