18th Century Long Boat by Daforuina - Model Shipways

Thank you Steve, I've been reading Chuck log and the boat looks awesome but I think I'm going to finish this model first.

I finished the planking and although it's not perfect I'm pretty pleased with the way it worked out. I still have plenty of sanding to do and little touch-ups and little fillers and then I should be ready to take off the bulkheads. The planking wasn't easy but towards the end I thought I was pretty much getting the hang of it.

I will attach more pictures once the sanding and and little imperfections are completed

20181101_132019.jpg

A few more bulkheads to remove and then sanding and fairing. Although i was tempted to remove the bulkheads with my hobby knife I took Chuck's advise and filed them. It was actually pretty easy with no major problems. The number 2 bulkhead broke in my massive destruction in the beginning and I will cut the piece out from the laser cut and install it. I have a little mess at the Bow with the filler pieces but I will fix it up with a little filing and sanding. After I have sanded and faired the frames I will sand the top of the frames and sheer in preparation for the cap rail

20181105_142804.jpg

I did nor realize how much sanding has to be done with the frames. I used double sided tape with 220 grit sandpaper on a AA battery and it is working pretty well just slow slow slow. I think a few hours of this sanding and the cramps in my fingers I won't be taking piano lessons for quite a while lol.

I read on a few threads that people people use a Dremel but after the catastrophe in the beginning I think I'll just stick to doing it by hand

Hi! I just found your thread on the Longboat. I elected to make it my first build also and am taking my time so that I minimize my errors.

You've moved farther ahead than I have, I've just finished the two sheer strakes tonight. I hope to get a second strake on at least one side tomorrow.

I think I'll pull up a stool and watch as your build proceeds. 

Regards,

Don

"Unless you're out of air, it's NOT an emergency!"

Current Build: "Lady Nelson" by Amati/Victory Models

Current Build: "Polaris" by Occre

Current Build: "Battle Station" A Navy Board Model (Scratch Build)

Hi! I just found your thread on the Longboat. I elected to make it my first build also and am taking my time so that I minimize my errors.

You've moved farther ahead than I have, I've just finished the two sheer strakes tonight. I hope to get a second strake on at least one side tomorrow.

I think I'll pull up a stool and watch as your build proceeds. 

Regards,

Don

"Unless you're out of air, it's NOT an emergency!"

Current Build: "Lady Nelson" by Amati/Victory Models

Current Build: "Polaris" by Occre

Current Build: "Battle Station" A Navy Board Model (Scratch Build)

Hi dmslcolm72

I started following your build as well.  You doing a fantastic job.

As you can see from my build my mess came up when. I did the garboard. But even after that disastrous start I'm more than happy with how the build is going so far. The great thing about wood things can be fixed.

Guy

On 11/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, Daforuina said:

I've been reading Chuck log and the boat looks awesome but I think I'm going to finish this model first.

That is a good idea. 

It is easy to build a huge stash that you will never build.

I did that and decided to sell everything except what I was working on.

It is hard to do when someone is offering a big discount.

RussR

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

1 hour ago, RussR said:

That is a good idea. 

It is easy to build a huge stash that you will never build.

I did that and decided to sell everything except what I was working on.

It is hard to do when someone is offering a big discount.

RussR

I agree Russ. I don't need a whole lot of unfinished models lying around. I'll wait until I get to the rigging, which seems straight forward, then look for something larger

Guy

Edited by Daforuina

I do not think you will be happy with staining bass wood. It is just too soft and any glue residue will pop. If you are fixed on a wood like treatment you might experiment with a wiping varnish/oil tinted instead. In any event try it out on some sacrificial stock first.

Joe

14 minutes ago, Tigersteve said:

Minwax natural stain creates a nice look. A little darker than just applying wipe-on-poly. Use pre-stain first. Check my longboat log for the results. 

Steve

Thanks Steve.

For a first build built an excellent job. Your boat looks awesome.

So pre-stain is a must then I guess

Guy

Edited by Daforuina

I applied Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to my basswood and then stained it with three parts of Minwax Natural to one part Minwax Golden Oak.  I explained this in my build log here:

Always test this on a piece of scrap basswood.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Decided to stain with Golden Oak instead of the Golden Oak natural mix. I should have stayed with a mix it is a little dark. I have cut the platforms and have dry fitted and still need a little trimming before gluing . Decided to add tree Nails which I think makes it look a lot better. I know this is not going to be exhibition quality but I'm learning a lot and hopefully my next model will look a little bit more professional LOL

Guy

20181113_083852.jpg

Cut all the thawts and scored them. After I sand20181116_211555.thumb.jpg.448d7006c0e71ecb5f0a21a84bf83137.jpg  the cockpit I'll stain and glue the thwarts in position. This is far from a masterpiece and looks more like cpt jack sparrow built it on an off day lol. But for my first build I have learned a ton thanks to the many people on this forum.