I am currently working on the Rattlesnake by Model Shipways. This is only my second wood ship model and the instructions nicely give me a break down of what color/stain to use on what area. The issue I have is it doesn't tell me WHEN to paint or stain things. Is it better to paint or stain things before they get attached to the boat or after? Should I paint after installation and stain before installation? I am getting to a point where I need to make a decision on this and would like to suggestions and advice. Also, if you wouldn't mind, provide your reasoning for doing it the way you do it so it can help me make a decision.

Thank you.

IMO it is always better to paint as early as you can. I paint before if it makes sense. On my Rattlesnake Build I installed the interior bulkheads (ceiling), taped the hull up, and used my air brush. I usually use the air brush for large areas.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

I don't paint or stain my wood. I would however venture to mention that if you are going to varnish or use a hard finish that this will cause some difficulty with gluing. In such a case predrill a hole in the object and the place where it will be attached then insert and glue a pin into both to join them. You may want to do this with painted items as well.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

2 hours ago, barkeater said:

I don't paint or stain my wood. I would however venture to mention that if you are going to varnish or use a hard finish that this will cause some difficulty with gluing. In such a case predrill a hole in the object and the place where it will be attached then insert and glue a pin into both to join them. You may want to do this with painted items as well.

I'm sorry. I'm not really following what you're saying.

If you varnish, oil or paint the wood, it will be difficult to glue anything to it. In my current boat, the hull, deck and cabin roof are all painted so everything is nailed on.

What Vaddoc said. Once you varnish, oil or paint it is tough to glue pieces together and you can use pins inserted so that they do not show into the pieces to help join them. When I do this I use CA but do it carefully and sparingly as it will penetrate the wood and leave a stain on exposed surfaces. I hope this is clear.

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"