America by Javlin - Revell - 1/56 - PLASTIC

I have been by the sail bug of late and nostalgia and ventured back to my youth when I made just about all of Revell sailing ships.So I picked up the USS America simple get my feet wet again with the rigging and such.I p/u from HISmodel the wooden deck and block/pulleys which the pulleys will be a new venture for me I have dealt with wood decks on the Eugen.I have the hull,decks and the mast are just about finished in painting just a little bit more.Russ lives like three houses down and says the black iron on the rudder goes so that be fixed and I went with 16' planks right or not I don't know but I mark them lined the ends and nail.I have seen alot of these decks with one nail hole ? call it my personnel   interpretation ;) Kevin

USS America 001.JPG

USS America 002.JPG

USS America 003.JPG

Now were I am at as of now.The blocks from HISmodel and I made the grates for the hatch looks much better than the plastic in the frame and the deck has two coats of semi-gloss water base clear I like for indoor furniture.The mast I tried something we use on WWI propellers to simulate a wood grain using oils not enough grain effect came through then I sprayed over it with a orange acrylic clear diluted with yellow to try and highlight and give depth(still need more practice at that).The rings will be taped off and sprayed black or burnt iron and can anyone answer about the metal on the mast heads black?

USS America 001.JPG

USS America 002.JPG

USS America 003.JPG

USS America 004.JPG

Looks very good. I will be interested to see the rest come together. 

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

A small update is in order.I have been playing with the mast of late and experimenting with and enamel base then using a mixture of of a not quite golden brown and umber in oils to simulate the wood effect.The next step is to go over the oils with a clear acrylic clear mixture of red and yellow thinned and airbrushed on to your taste the pictures do not do it justice but they do look a bit like wood.The bowsprit just came out to dark but I leaving it as such since all pieces did not come from the same tree or type I would think.The rings on the mast were all taped off ( @#% ) and  painted with MM Metalizer  Gun color and sealed with a clear.

USS America 012.JPG

very nice bevy of boats :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• The title was changed to America by Javlin - Revell - 1/56 - PLASTIC