World's oldest intact shipwreck discovered in Black Sea

RichardG

"Archaeologists have found what they believe to be the world’s oldest intact shipwreck at the bottom of the Black Sea where it appears to have lain undisturbed for more than 2,400 years. The 23-metre (75ft) vessel, thought to be ancient Greek, was discovered with its mast, rudders and rowing benches all present and correct just over a mile below the surface. A lack of oxygen at that depth preserved it, the researchers said."

World's oldest intact shipwreck discovered in Black Sea

Hopefully we'll see more information in the future

Richard.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Gidday Kevin,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I cannot watch the video as it is not configured for my device. What ????????????????

I did search and found some absolutely amazing footage. What a fantastic time to be alive and witness this. As you can tell I am blown away by this.

Regards,
Mark.

Its really interesting to see discoveries such as this. It  also makes me realize that this ship is a result of centuries of ship development before this one went to the bottom. Viking ships were depicted on rock carvings dated to 1100 BC. As we say out west "this wasn't their first rodeo".

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

1100 BC ?  I gather this was a typo and you meant AD ? The Viking period is generally set around the late 8th century to the end of the 11th century, I believe.

These anoxic conditions in the Black Sea led to the preservation of organic materials, just like for the Viking ships in the bogs. It would be difficult, however, to excavate these ships, as they are all below 200 m depth, were you can only access them using submersibles or diving robots - at least with current technology.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

well this might fill in some of the missing gaps

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat