Oooops... My First Big Mistake

alichty044

Hi.  I am a new member to the forum and new to wooden ship modeling.  I apologize in advance for placing this question here.  I wasn't sure where the best place this question.

I purchased the 18th Century Armed Longboat 1:24 Scale.  I finished cutting in the rabbet and was going to glue the four parts of the keel together.  However, before I could get that done, I managed to bust the top of the bow portion of the false keel off just in front of where bulkhead H belongs.

I have already glued it back together with Titebond II.  However, I am concerned that it is now going to be a very weak spot.  It does have two bow filler pieces that will be put in place directly over where the break is.   These fillers are not to be put into place though until after the bulkheads have been installed

My question is this.  Should I make do with what I have or should I contact Model Expo to see about getting a new bow portion of the false keel sent to me.

Hanging my head in shame and welcoming some advice.

Aaron

PS - I do plan on beginning a build log - just haven't done so yet.

Gidday Aaron and a warm welcome from Downunder.

Is it possible to place some temporary blocks or braces on the keel until the fillers are glued in?  I received a broken keel in a kit and return postage is prohibitive to say the least. I am toying with the idea of a Plank on Frame modification.  That will be in the future as life tends to get in the way.

I hope I haven't confused the issue.

Good luck with your build.

Mark

Aaron,

Heh heh!   Been there, done that.  :default_wallbash:  Once I glued the part back on I drilled a small hole down through the top, size 76 or smaller drill bit.  I then inserted and glued a bamboo peg into the hole...even at that size bamboo is relatively strong.  I "turned" it down on my dremel and sand paper.

I don't recall if my longboat is linked to my signature, but I think I cover this in my build log.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thank you both for replying with your suggestions.

I really like the idea of drilling in a peg. But without a drill press I could see me drilling out through the side and causing more problems.  So I will handle it with extreme care and brace it when I can until the bow fillers can be but in place.

Looking forward to beginning my build log :)

Aaron

Aaron,

By the way, when Chuck talks about drilling and pegging, you can use a pin vise which is a relatively cheap tool ($10) instead of a drill press. Pin vises are an invaluable gadget to have around.

Rich

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I did the same thing.

I just left it off until later in the build before I glued it back on.

RussR

PS:

If this is your "big mistake", stand by for more to come. I've had some real "whoopers".

Edited by RussR
Add PS:

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away" by Robert Fulghum

Well, since I didn't even get a chance to glue anything together before I broke it, I decided to contact Model Expo to request a new piece.  When I get the replacement part I will begin my build log.

Thank you to everybody with such helpful advice.  I look forward to learning from the vast reservoir of talent here at MSW.  First lesson learned.... be gentle.

Aaron

Drill and peg before it breaks.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)