That looks like the 1919 by Davis.  A very good overview but, and this is the key to using any reference, the value depends on the degree of historical accuracy you desire.  The higher the level of period accuracy desired, the more important contemporary records and resources become.

This is a good reference for general wooden shipbuilding, though not specific to period, nation or vessel.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Gidday Andre,

I am a big fan of historical literature for Ships and Automobiles. This is fascinating.  It is relevant but obviously is on a hugely different scale. I often wonder where all that machinery is today.  I don't suppose we have the timber supplies left anyway. 

Regards,

Mark

The author is H. Cole Estep. It was published in 1918 by The Benton Publishing Company, publisher of the Marine Review, Cleveland, Ohio.

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

It is also explains why large wooden ships were obsolete by the end of the Nineteenth Century (but temporarily resurrected to meet WW I shipping needs).  The huge wooden keelsons required to reinforce these long inherently flexible structures seriously reduce space to haul cargo.

Of interest is a midships section of a design by Frank Kirby, the preemenant Naval architect on the Great Lakes at the time.  Kirby’s design uses steel to reinforce critical areas of the structure.

Roger Pellett