Wood Storage Idea

I have been meaning to do this for quite a while but just got around to it. If you are like me and most model builders I know there is just no piece of wood that is truly scrap. So I made this today, a quick and dirty wood storage solution. It is made from some 3" cardboard shipping tube that we get SS tubing in at work and a couple of pieces of plywood that I had laying around (not scrap!).

20181027_215345.thumb.jpg.6ff33bbbd40c9a2ce1f63a80ed9d0a2f.jpg20181027_220703.thumb.jpg.00f8d6990018299025df3bd770c9b6d7.jpg

Cost of Materials $0.00  And it made the Admiral very happy, Priceless!

4 hours ago, Bob Blarney said:

That's a neat solution.  PVC pipe also works, but cutting it is somewhat more difficult.

Hi Bob this is exactly what I do - I use 4" PVC waste pipe with a stop on the end.  Having said that I think that Arts solution is the same but far cheaper and easier too.

A nice and easy way to store the strips if we have limited space. Only one thing - the tube does not prevent the wood from warping or bowing. I suppose the best option would be by stacking them horizontally like in the lumber yard. Not so easy in a small scale.

Edited by andante
Typo.

Here's a picture of my solution.   PVC fence post liners from the home improvement store. Cut to length and stacked.  

DSCF3011.jpg.f5b6ebfa16bb0f7351d80c067a37efe2.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think you will find the tall strips will take on a bend if stored vertically.  (been there, done that.)  The wood should be stored flat (use tubes or boxes if you like to keep pieces sorted by size.)

Maury

If you don't have the space for horizontal storage, you can also tie the thin strips together with a piece of string or a rubber band - together they will not bend.

I made myself a narrow open rack with shallow shelves and some vertical battens along the length to keep the stuff in. That allows me to store the stuff according to material, while being able to retrieve shorter pieces that have been pushed in by accident.

Another option would be to make the tubes, as in Mark's picture, detachable so that you can shake them in order to get small pieces out.

For some years I kept narrow (ca. 5 cm diameter) paper tubes loose in a box upright - the narrow tubes prevented the bending and I could take them out to rattle them for retrieving short pieces. Apart from lack of floor-space it was difficult to handle those tubes, in which I kept my steel and brass stock, hence the other solution.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here is a pic of my storage rack. Drawer slides from the Home Depot, one quarter inch pegboard and some quarter inch dowels!

The dividers are held down by short pieces of dowels glued in their bottoms and are adjustable to accommodate the quantity of each 

dimension. It's a little more costly and time consuming to make, but its location is perfect and the strips store flat. I also spread those moisture absorbent packages around and I have never had a warping problem.

Pythagoras (Tom)            Hello Art

PICT0018.JPG

Good idea, but you need a space at least 1 m deep, considering the common lenght of stock. In the next incarnation of my workshop I may place something like this behind cupboards next to the door, to be accessed from the narrow side. Or, store the stuff in a wide, but narrow cupboard with such drawers ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hello Tom,

Ah, if only I had the room. I am limited to an 8'x8' room that also has to house my other hobby (rc sailing) as well as anything the Admiral does not want laying about the rest of the house. But some day.

What is that on your workbench Tom?

Best Regards,

• 1 year later...

When building my first wooden ship kit, I realized a needed a way to organize the scale lumber by size.  I decided on a lumber tray to store the stock horizontally to prevent warpage, to allow easy access to less than full length pieces, and to minimize the space required.  As I was unable to find anything commercially that met my requirements, I designed this lumber tray out of inexpensive chipboard (a type of dense thick cardboard).

IMG_2219.thumb.jpg.c073e244209f5e73d053c865796f2778.jpg

This can be made to any size, but I chose 10"x25"x1" so it would fit inside the box that the ship kit came in to make it easy to store.  The attached pdf file is a measured drawing of the tray.  

Lumber Tray.pdf

I used 30 ply All-Purpose Chipboard (0.10 inches thick) for rigidity.  The source I used was Blick Art Materials (dickblick.com).  The chipboard was cut with a straight edge and a hobby knife.  The pieces were glued with PVA.  Be sure to glue the divider strips to the base as well as to the ends of the tray.  A label strip is added to one side to identify the lumber sizes.

IMG_2220.thumb.jpg.d017f2fc56cc6951cc688969b0229d2d.jpgIMG_2221.thumb.jpg.0c065bd968addd299d0e3af6a898573d.jpgIMG_2223.thumb.jpg.9e2ea0ef1bbf1bdfbf65b5278f83b9d9.jpg

Edited by Kevin53
Corrected photo type to jpeg

Kevin

Currently building US Brig Syren.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Marco_van_H said:

My home-made solution

I did and still have hold over using a very similar method.  A problem with it is gravity.  The sticks bend.

Flat is better.

For my framing stock I use this:

71jYUUxN3L._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.5d43d302ad4433a91b45cc506b517924.jpg

They used to be 24" long - my preferred stock length - easier to handle than the 8' length it is in the lumber yard.

~ $2 each.

I use old school chalk to mark each stick with its thickness.  Blue chalk is persistent.

These can be handy for 12" or less - the long dividers are fixed, but the cross dividers are temporary.

94458_W3.thumb.jpg.aea5fe7c80b3e5a948716037edf56e35.jpg

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I saw Kevin53's solution a few months ago in a post above , and "stole" it.  Had to find a bigger container than an old kit box, however...

WoodStorageBox.jpg.6985cd085b1a8c6dc6e6875b1de5c93a.jpg

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, some great ideas in this string of post on how to store spare planking and lumber, sure beats the couple of small barrels I use.  I like the cardboard tube idea.  I have some spare PVC short plumbing pieces that were from a major replumbing of a 1900 built home and I think I may try to use them.  I'm thinking if I cut the PVC to the same angle configuration as the cardboard and use end caps to secure them to a board I could make a pretty good storage system.  If I'm successful and if it does not look too bad, I'll post a few photos.

Glad I found this, I'm just using the box that the model came in for the wood storage and yeah sometimes have to hunt for the right "lumber" to use and I do have them some what separated out but not all of it.

I did go buy another (I have many) small parts containers (like jaager has) and sorted all the metal casting parts out so I can just grab and paint them ahead of when I use them.

As far as other lumber storage I made a cubed box that I could put all my scale lumber in but between moves (many) it has disappeared.  So what I've been using (because I haven't built something better) is a piece of acrylic to support all my HO scale strip wood.  Works with a rubber band around it but you still have to "hunt" for what you want.  Some day I will make a storage box again for all my strip wood.

What I have for my brass stock is very similar to the others with the cardboard tubes.  My are from the fax machine roll paper (yeah still have a fax machine, why???) any way, I store the brass in them by size and it will fit upright in one of my workbench drawers.

Great Ideas here, never even thought about using plastic fencing material.  Have to look into that.  I've seen the PVC pipe used for storage that's a good idea too.

Keep up the great work everyone, I'm learning something every time I come here !!!!