How was the 2018 Conference?

Just got home today from the conference. It was a great time with a outstanding group of people. The presentations and round tables where very educational. The models brought by members were all great. Members should really think about attending. If you had attended this conference you would have been treated to a presentation by Peter Rindlisbacher on his Marine Art and how he accomplishes these Master pieces. The vendors from Bluejacket, Sherline and Train Troll were there with product and answers. Pam Weiss’s (Sherline] round table on machining was very educational and a big hit. Looking forward to Bluejacket’s release of the Charles W. Morgan cutaway. The meals served at the conference were very good. The hotel was great with three fine Resturants. My only complaint was getting to the Strip from the hotel and NRG has no control of this. The shuttles had a schedule but sometimes they were over an hour late. Looking forward to next years get together. Model in video by Gus Agustin

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Are there any photos of the conference forthcoming?   I would hope so.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

And or video maybe, for us foreigners lol

Regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Now I have a "collection" ☺️

IMG_0167.jpg.7407f53db7a311f53615a59165fffe4e.jpg

Here are some photos from the model display room

IMG_0100.thumb.jpg.a7e8cc2c521670c94cfcb4a98c4a871e.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg.f64c480c3d4e7a639b030cdfeeb08f4d.jpg

wonderful brass from Ken Foran

IMG_0114.jpg.7bb5fba95bfa8c0a74d7a4d66437b7e5.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg.ce0af23bab706b693581f24d39d72dd0.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg.3360f385fe3525375f074d00e038e285.jpg

and from the carving roundtable

IMG_0153.thumb.jpg.3d87ac670f735ecef0327282ebde9258.jpg

I'm no fan of Las Vegas but the conference itself seemed really good. Unfortunately, I was working the Ages of Sail table the whole time, so I didn't get to attend any of the events. But, I was at the member meeting and the dinner. Plus, I got to see a lot of great models and I spent a lot of time talking with Pam from Sherline and Nic and Al from Bluejacket since they were sitting in the vendor room with me.

I managed to take photos, but somehow never manage to get photos of the Ages of Sail table(!). Always happens. I even brought some big kits, including Amati's Vanguard and Orient Express kits, Caldercraft's Diana, and others. Somehow, I also seemed to miss Bluejacket's table too. They had a new re-release of the brig USS Perry.

IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7214.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7229.jpg

IMG_7230.jpg

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7232.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7235.jpg

IMG_7236.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7238.jpg

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7241.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7244.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7248.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

IMG_7250.jpg

IMG_7251.jpg

IMG_7252.jpg

IMG_7253.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

IMG_7255.jpg

IMG_7256.jpg

IMG_7257.jpg

IMG_7258.jpg

IMG_7259.jpg

IMG_7260.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

IMG_7262.jpg

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7266.jpg

IMG_7267.jpg

IMG_7268.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7272.jpg

IMG_7273.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg

IMG_7278.jpg

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thanks for posting the photos Clare.  I have been promised photos for here and the web site - I didn't have time to take any myself.  Will post when they are received.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks to the Board for putting together a top shelf conference, and especially to Mitch for being such a genial and humorous host.

Till next year in New Bedford ?

Dan 

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Absolutely Dan, It really was nice. Without the hard work of the board and others it wouldn’t have happened and they all get a round of applause!

8 hours ago, shipmodel said:

Till next year in New Bedford ?

New Bedford ?  As in New Bedford Massachusetts?  Home of the Whaling Museum, and just down the road apiece from Battleship Cove Maritime Museum in Fall River MA ?   And just east of Mystic Seaport ?  That New Bedford ???

Is that the location for 2019?

Edited by Jack12477

Pam from Sherline had a great mast and spar turning demonstration.  Take a peek at the photos above and you will see a soon-to-be-available accessory for the lathe: an internal live center.  Put a bevel on the wood blank, insert that end into the live center, secure it to the headstock by whatever means is appropriate (she is showing the use of a lathe dog for a tapered cut in the photo) and away you go.  Very nice.  Thank you, Pam.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Unfortunately I think that feature (internal live center) will only work on the Sherline lathe. :(

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Not true Chuck.  I am no machinist but my understanding is that it will fit any #0 Morse taper spindle.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Is there a link to take a look this "internal live center"? I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the pictures.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I doubt it.  It is in pre-production.  However, simply visualize what a live center looks like.  Now instead of a point sticking out, there is a tapering concavity pointing into the tool which freely turns.

Toni

44 minutes ago, tlevine said:

Not true Chuck.  I am no machinist but my understanding is that it will fit any #0 Morse taper spindle.

Oh!  My misunderstanding then.  I thought she said it was unique to Sherline, but if it works on others, outstanding. 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)