Dave's 1951 XK120 Jag Roadster - FINISHED - 1/24th scale

COCKPIT PROGRESS....

The powder blue base coat has been applied to the body..... now allowing several days to cure out before next coats then finished sanding with 1000 grit then shooting with clear coat.
Meanwhile.... Spent the last couple of days creating the cockpit module.
This photo taken this morning with the first dry fitting of the roughly shaped steering wheel and the dash board I created with computer graphics.
Hope to have the door panels created today.

cockpit.thumb.JPG.11d092b6a6284f0d8d806f83bbb6dc24.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

CREATING THE ENGINE .....

Before I shoot it with a primer, here's a shot of the development of the engine....

With a high-temperature, high-strength aluminum allow cylinder head, hemispherical combustion chambers, 
inclined valves and twin side-draft SU carburetors, the duel overhead-cam 3.4 L straight-6 XK was highly advanced for a mass-produced unit of the time. Using 80 octane fuel a standard 8:1 compression ratio developed 160 bhp. 

engine2.jpg.59171c84182a0dcf8a4c5fca96be9d40.jpgFirst a photo of the real thing....

The alternator seen laying beside the engine is ready to mount.  
The five bladed fan was created from a piece of scrap aluminum.

engine2a.JPG.d770228e19aa3f27f38083ecfbc1c694.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

SU CARBS....

The twin side vent SU carbs were a real challenge.  Efforts to create them in wood didn't work out so well, so I turned to brass tubes and silver solder. 

Note, however, that the air filter is wood..

carbs1a.JPG.f135114651031e2ee8321ee407c5db9a.JPG
SECOND..... Exhaust manifold:

After a couple of failed attempts at carving the exhaust manifold, I have experimented with a piece of 2mm fuel line from an old line trimmer. 

So far the results look very promising, although the line I used was very old and brittle.

I have ordered a pack from Amazon.... 4 sizes.

manifold.jpg.e855b9475c03ddafd08a8a5b65fe6c7c.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Years ago in a 1/24th Chevy Chaparral semi scratch build I was able to take copper wire and made pretty good, (At least I thought they were) exhaust manifolds.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks for your input Lou.  Looks like the 2mm fuel line is a perfect scale, and very flexible, plus easy to join very small segments.  Can’t wait for the new line to arrive.

Sawdust Dave -

Exhaust Manifold Progress....

Don't we love it when a solid plan comes together and actually works?

Shopping at Lowe's for 2mm fuel line, I came across some 2.4mm trimmer line.  BINGO!

Right size.... flexable.... responds to heat.... can be knife cut into precise segments.... joints can be glued with CA and seams "welded" with heat.
All I need is a jig.....
headers2.thumb.JPG.bbac50f6ef25b5c489ad5ed06507db8f.JPG

Jig was just too simple, and worked like a charm.

headers3.thumb.JPG.738b0dd4ee5ec6a74f2e2e6fb38c963c.JPG

The rest was a simple matter of joining and blending.....

Pretty close to perfect....

headers4.JPG.1a198607becdbc14b7cb4be5498efd7b.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave
insert photo

Sawdust Dave -

Definitely a win!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

39 minutes ago, SawdustDave said:

Exhaust Manifold Progress....

Don't we love it when a solid plan comes together and actually works?

Channeling Hannibal of the A-Team are you?  :P  Ok, I'll be serious now. That is neat work with non-traditional materials.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

After mounting the painted manifold to the engine block it just didn't look right.... realized there was no joint plate for sealing the collector pipes to the headers.  I remember because I had to replace the gaskets on my own Jag years ago.
Easy fix.... I cut the lower pipes and mounted blocks to simulate the exhaust joint plates.  Good to go....
headers5.JPG.2ad6e6750207ccfedaf75fa4d36b15aa.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Getting closer to installing the engine...... first we need a radiator - right?

Used a piece of the faux wood vinyl I love to use for very small detailed carvings to create this with a small cut out of window screen to simulate the texture.  Wish I had something smaller, but decided it will work since the area will hardly be visable once installed.

radiator.JPG.0ba7d9ea8a7a8ad1ede694379c7ae9c7.JPG

Turning now to creating a little battery and mounting box......

Sawdust Dave -

Thinking ahead....
Tried to polish up a test spot of the Krylon Metallic Brilliant Silver spray paint.... very bad results.
A few small accessory parts will eventually be created which will need to have a chrome finish.... bumpers, tail lights, grill, windshield frames, to name a few.
Did not like what I read about some of the special chrome painting projects, but, if necessary,  was prepared to give it a go.
Then the thought.... 
The big cap used to cover the nozzle of the can has a beautiful chrome finish..... falsely representing what the paint will look like.
I decided that the parts will be so small, I believe I can create them by cutting up the can lid into shapes and applying a little heat as necessary.

Hmmmmm
If this fails, I have no choice but try Alclad, which I have never used, but may have to go there.
FORGET ALL THAT!
A modeling pro (close friend) just told me about "Molotow".... available at Hayes Hobby House.
I will have it before the day is over..... Oh Yea!

chrome.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Engine Ready to Install....
Headers, carbs, battery, fan, alternator, etc all mounted..... ready to be fitted after I mount the radiator.
Dyno test results........ 4.2 hp
engine4a.JPG.0ed4141fa2a89bdf3f83877316472298.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

To get a chrome effect have you tried "Bare Metal Foil" ? I've used it on a few 1/24 scale cars and it works a teat. IIRC you can get it in bright or dull chrome and aluminium and copper.

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

Great build and when you get to the interior, if you want real leather and detail hardware check out www.Modelmotorcars.com they even have .5mm and 1mm chromed acorn nuts and other goodies that you may be interested in.

Keep up the great work!

Ken

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Here are some reference photos of the 1962 XKE I restored. Let me know if you need any other details of the engine. Ken

1504519282_1962Enginecompartmentrightview.thumb.jpg.ad3c4aa087e3d3dc914426aa0ad9d248.jpg

2014262331_1962Restoredenginefrontright.thumb.jpg.fcd274e2bd0481cbf51e4d5223907a28.jpg

1312930399_1962Restoredengineleftsideview.thumb.jpg.eda231631f0ef1896b8ae7b677e76d3f.jpg

1605432859_1962Restoredenginerightsideview.thumb.jpg.a48cef60249aa7d66487dc75dcb24db0.jpg

2110798903_1962Leftenginebayoverall.jpg.b129039dbb15ab0d076559f2e282b9cf.jpg

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Sweet restoration, Ken.   One can almost hear the growl of that engine.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those side draft carbs bring back some, (not so) fond memories!

With all the above suggestions I am probably wasting your time But years ago in my poorer days I think I did pretty well with contact glue and household tinfoil with the shiny side out. You need to be VERY careful not to wrinkle the foil and to rub it down with a soft cloth but when applied with that in mind it makes some pretty nice "Chrome". You can even make it look a little shinier by painting over it with Johnsons Acrylic floor wax. Almost makes it look wet shiny.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ken my friend....  I must tell you, although I will never come close to your amazing skills, I have come to look at everything I do with you in mind.  As you know, your Connie log is my primary "go to" resource for my own attempt to build her.
As for your Jag restoration..... mind blowingly awesome!
I will meet you half way for an opportunity to take her for a spin.  Let's say Austin.... next June.
Great to hear from you mate.
Thanks for sharing your Jag.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

CHROME.....
nikbud.... "To get a chrome effect have you tried "Bare Metal Foil" ? I've used it on a few 1/24 scale cars and it works a teat. IIRC you can get it in bright or dull chrome and aluminium and copper."

Yes I did give it a shot, as well as Ken's suggestion of kitchen aluminum foil.....

Here's a shot of the testing of the Molotow Liquid Chrome I purchased yesterday evening.... 
The foil seen in this comparison is the product you referred to.

DSCN2826.JPG.f5c81aed83b67cfff8c7a5de9e2ce66c.JPG

You make the call.

Sawdust Dave -

The focus is a little off for me, (Or it is entirely possible my eyes are giving out at last) Dave, but if light reflection is an indicator then the one on the left seems to be the better deal.

Here is another possibility:

https://shop.bestreviews.com/products/12x78chrome-mirror-silver-vinyl-wrap-sticker-decal-film-sheetself-adhesive?cid=1478216846&aid=56672288785&eid=&tid=pla-293946777986&ul=9033346&mt=&n=g&d=c&dm=&dt&sn&adid=282858957008&k=&p=&pc=&ap=1o3&gclid=CjwKCAiA8rnfBRB3EiwAhrhBGiD5WMn9ph-s9OE2w2_Vy0ARDKf7jhVd1qftC-_2MWZMUsyPx6cI6RoCHhUQAvD_BwE

It appears you can also pick this stuff up at your local hardware store but it seemed like it was more expensive. Either way it should be a lifetime supply!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

If I am seeing the photo right then the molotow stuff seems much brighter. I remembered the chrome foil as being much shinier than in your photo, have you got the brushed version or the bright version? I'll see if I can dig out an old model I used it on. I think I used it on a pink cadillac…..

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

Thanks Lou....

Sorry bout the camera focus.  I was mainly trying to get the light reflection to show up.... which it did.

Looks like we have a winner at this point.

The decal sheet you suggested looks great and I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Nikbud.... my camera angle didn’t catch the foil’s shine very well, but, by comparison, it wasn’t even close.  Keep in mind, this was a simple test on a scrap that had been painted silver.  

The liquid chrome will look even deeper when applied over gloss black enamel paint.

You guys are great.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Progress.... Several things going on right now.  

First this shot of the engine installed....

Note the spark plug wires running to the distributor .....

695387655_JAGIPAD(1).thumb.JPG.a08d7567d200ccbed6c7fd6a468342d1.JPG

Next, developing the front end for mounting the wheels. 
Since we're not building a pine wood derby car here,  I'm using brass tubing to create a mounting that will allow the front wheels to be turned by turning the steering wheel.
aawheels.thumb.JPG.772e75a018bc8fa738e4f4e7f3214a16.JPG

aawheels2.JPG.c53fe5aa900ba509b1ef2284cc25d487.JPG

I'm sure I will not be able to create a Rack and Pinion steering system, but I have a fair idea how to emulate the mechanism.
Worth a try..... 

Sawdust Dave -

Since the body paint was applied only three days ago, I can't handle it for another four days before I begin to polish it out with 1,000 grit and begin shooting it with clear coat spray.
So I began creating the many accessories .... bumpers, mirrors, turn signals, tail lights, etc)
The Molotow pin is amazing!
accessories.JPG.51113f5d0f442bf95fe7bf8877f5b219.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

The winged knock off hubs......

So tiny, just holding them while carving was kinda testy.... band aid on my finger as evidence.
aaahubs.JPG.ac0a2eb3397e238713bde85816306b83.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Looking at the pictures of the last couple days, it's really hard to remember this started as a solid block of wood.   Impressive.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: