Cruiser Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - FINISHED - scale 1:75

Glad I have just found your log before you have got too far Valeriy, love this style of model.  Making all of the metal parts must be so time consuming and sadly I'm not familiar with the techniques so looking to be educate by you.  I can't even imagine the amount of work you have ahead of you...but it will be worth it.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

4 hours ago, Beef Wellington said:

Glad I have just found your log before you have got too far Valeriy, love this style of model.  Making all of the metal parts must be so time consuming and sadly I'm not familiar with the techniques so looking to be educate by you.  I can't even imagine the amount of work you have ahead of you...but it will be worth it.

Hey Jason. Thanks for the kind words. I will be happy to help you with my experience. :) 

Deck on forecastle.

49.jpg

50_1.jpg

Very impressive!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Valeriy,

wonderful brass metal work, and joining into the hull, it looks top !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

2 hours ago, cotrecerf said:

Hello Valeriy,

wow, fantastic work! Varyag is of the same period and style as a future project I am planning to build: German Gun Boat Iltis II stationary  of Tsing Tau in 1900.

Looking forward to learning of the progress of your Cruiser.

Joachim

Hello Joachim!

I would be glad if you join. We will build models together and then there will be more metal ships on the forum.  Iltis II  interesting and original ship.

iltis471324.jpg

iltis471235.jpg

iltis471.jpg

iltis471270.jpg

iltis471228.jpg

docJLEZ.jpg

dcb2.jpg

iltis471278.jpg

very nice progress!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Valeriy,

I was already wondering if you would bring metal plating on to the hull. Now the surprise with liquid putty and masking tape. The result is fantastic, well done, thanks for sharing your methode here....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

2 hours ago, mmdd said:

Valeriy V  There are very few metal ships on the forum. I will try to add a little

in my opinion  metal ships are something like

You are a little wrong. I wrote about metal SHIPS.   You wrote about the metal MODELS of ships. Perhaps the reason for this error is my bad English.  :) 

59 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Hi Valeriy,

I was already wondering if you would bring metal plating on to the hull. Now the surprise with liquid putty and masking tape. The result is fantastic, well done, thanks for sharing your methode here....

Nils

Hi, Nils!
Thanks for the feedback. This method has long been used by ship modelers from the former Soviet Union.

Thanks for your feedback comment Valeriy,

is there perhaps a way of resembling rivet heads and vertical joints on the model, and in combination with that method, if the belt strakes were not welded ?  I trust in your case  scale 1:75 may allow visible (flattened) rivets, they would not be too dominant in that case.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

47 minutes ago, mmdd said:

Valeriy V You are a little wrong. I wrote about metal SHIPS

Two examples of metal SHIPS (iron-hulled)

James Craig launched 1874

Rickmer Rickmers launched 1896

Valeriy V  Perhaps the reason for this error is my bad English

маєте рацію - гарна допомога The Oxford Companion to Ships and the Sea (Peter Kemp, Oxford University Press).

Thank you, mmdd. I will use your help.

1 hour ago, Mirabell61 said:

is there perhaps a way of resembling rivet heads and vertical joints on the model, and in combination with that method, if the belt strakes were not welded ?  I trust in your case  scale 1:75 may allow visible (flattened) rivets, they would not be too dominant in that case.

Nils

Good question, Nils! :) 

Here is the table of the German Lloyd, the diameters of the rivets, depending on the thickness of the sheet. Probably, the data of English Lloyd are not very different. It turns out that the size of the heads of the rivets in the range of 15-45 mm.

In my opinion, showing the size of the heads of rivets on a scale of   1: 100    1:75 does not make sense. If the diameter of the rivet heads is shown correctly, they become almost invisible by 0.15-0.6 mm.

On Varyag all the heads of the rivets were not visible, option "C".

17.jpg

img247.jpg

2 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

Nils

I cut the vertical joints on the hull of the boat with a sharp knife blade along the ruler.

р1.jpg

Thanks for explaining Valeriy,

yes, it makes sence with Option "C" type used on Varyag and rivet-heads sunk and flush with plates and overpainted anyhow....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

1 minute ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thanks for explaining Valeriy,

yes, it makes sence with Option "C" type used on Varyag and rivet-heads sunk and flush with plates and overpainted anyhow....

Nils

Nils,  you can try to show the head of the rivet with a tube of the desired diameter with sharp edges. But an experiment is needed.

2 minutes ago, Valeriy V said:

Nils,  you can try to show the head of the rivet with a tube of the desired diameter with sharp edges. But an experiment is needed.

Thanks Valeriy.

good idea with with a sharp edged tube....., I tried it once by using injection needles (due to the mini diameter) for this purpose, but the application worked out too messy...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed