Cruiser Varyag 1901 by Valeriy V - FINISHED - scale 1:75

12 minutes ago, Mirabell61 said:

Thanks Valeriy.

good idea with with a sharp edged tube....., I tried it once by using injection needles (due to the mini diameter) for this purpose, but the application worked out too messy...

Nils

Always glad to help you to the best of your ability.  :) 

Just found this, exceptional craftsmanship here. I'll have to follow along

Edited by Bedford

I am not commenting on the workmanship, it speaks for itself ...

However, something looks odd to me - I am sure it is according to the plans, namely that there is a screw-well in front of the rudder, while this seems to be twin-screwed vessel. Such a screw-well would cause a lot of turbulences and cross-flows in front the rudder. Is there any rationale, why this was designed that way ? One explanation, I could think of myself is that improves the turning capability - for the same reason tugs had cut large openings cut into the 'dead-wood' in front of the screw. Any thoughts on this ?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

perhaps it's because the screws are closer to the hull.......blade radius.    the hull looks super.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Wefalk and Denis,

just a thought,

could be that the outer propcircles (diameters) were overlapping a  bit, like for instance the typical prop-arrangement for the KWdG, therefore the outcut window before the rudder heel. In that case there even had to be a staggered propshaft lengths, so that the circles did not foul each other within the "overlapping" area. It did not seem to be a handicap (Turbolences), because we know that the KWdG was the world fastest liner of around year 1900....

Here the scetch of prop arrangement...

Nils

post-3445-0-68850000-1432653477_thumb.jpg

note the different propshaft lengths, the prop circles are a bit overlapping within the centre window outcut area at the stern heel

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

I am not commenting on the workmanship, it speaks for itself ...

However, something looks odd to me - I am sure it is according to the plans, namely that there is a screw-well in front of the rudder, while this seems to be twin-screwed vessel. Such a screw-well would cause a lot of turbulences and cross-flows in front the rudder. Is there any rationale, why this was designed that way ? One explanation, I could think of myself is that improves the turning capability - for the same reason tugs had cut large openings cut into the 'dead-wood' in front of the screw. Any thoughts on this ?

Hi Wefalk . Thanks for your rating.   And answer your question.

This screw-well by Russian ship builders was called "a deadwood window".   At the beginning of the 20th century in the Russian fleet it was believed that this window improves turning effect of the ship. 

This window was made on many large warships. For example, on the battleship Retvizan, the cruiser Varyag, on five battleships of the Borodino type.

However, this window did not always help. On five battleships of the Borodino type with the steady turn of the ship  there was a big  snap roll.

Therefore, the windows were forced to close.

No such effect was observed on Varyag. 

с1.jpg

Edited by Valeriy V

continuously neat work Valeriy,

top work !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I also love to look at a metal ship model if it's beautifully created like this .. :imNotWorthy:

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

A thing that amazes me is that you actually had the courage to cut into your already beautiful hull in order to install the casemates!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

14 hours ago, ccoyle said:

A thing that amazes me is that you actually had the courage to cut into your already beautiful hull in order to install the casemates!

Chris  you're right, it was hard to do. It’s like cutting yourself. But the wound heals quickly ... :) 

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

Dear Valeriy,

It's with great interest that i have studied Your report. I would like to emphasize

an extremely high culture of production and outstanding mastery of construction technology, one can feel the a hand of The Master. I think that Your school in shipmodelling is a TOP aerobatics . I wish You luck and inspiration. I will follow with great interesting the constructionof this legendary ship.

My best regards Alexander .

11 hours ago, KORTES said:

Dear Valeriy,

It's with great interest that i have studied Your report. I would like to emphasize

an extremely high culture of production and outstanding mastery of construction technology, one can feel the a hand of The Master. I think that Your school in shipmodelling is a TOP aerobatics . I wish You luck and inspiration. I will follow with great interesting the constructionof this legendary ship.

My best regards Alexander .

Dear  Alexander , thank you very much!  I admit that I am very embarrassed by your high appreciation.  

I hope that my further work on Varyag will not disappoint you.

With my admiration for your work on the  Boeir Yacht     Valeriy.