Scottish Maid by mispeltyoof - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - scale 1:50 - Rod Buckle

On 11/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, mispeltyoof said:

Vince P .In response to you ? Re workdesk,it is a computer desk though not that 'fancy" it's a solid pine desk that can be bought as self assembly on line for £100. The work station at the end is by Ochre I believe and was £50 for Cornwall ships. 

A massive purchase for me as it cost nearly more than my Scottish Maid kit.

Thanks for the info mate. It sure looks efficient and neat. Also glad you decided to stick it out here. We are a great group and do help each other out immensely. I for one have been building models for decades, and I learn something new every time I log on.

Vince P. :dancetl6:

Coming along nicely!

Frankly, I'm not sure what the pins are for.  I know some people like to hammer the planks in with pins.  I think if you have good wood glue (personally, I'm not a big fan of CA/super glue), you just need some method to keep the planks in place while the glue dries.  For me, the pliers are a quick and easy way to keep the planks against the bulkheads while the glue dries.  Then when done, I just pull the pins out.  You don't have to push the pins in very far as you can see from my LAR build:

I've also tried these planking screws from Micromark.  They do the job, but are really hard on the fingers (the knurled knobs are rough, especially when trying to screw them into tough bulkheads).  Others have made their own based on similar design principles.

https://www.micromark.com/Planking-Clamps-10

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

16 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I've also tried these planking screws from Micromark.  They do the job, but are really hard on the fingers (the knurled knobs are rough, especially when trying to screw them into tough bulkheads).

The idea with those is that you drill a hole about 2/3 the diameter of the thread first to make them easier to screw in.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

8 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

The idea with those is that you drill a hole about 2/3 the diameter of the thread first to make them easier to screw in.

Danny

That would make it much easier, sure, but time consuming.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Posting my "car crash" planking to share with others like me who see the wonderful builds on here and despair of their own efforts. I have decided then rather then fill the in enivitable gaps with filler I'll do what the original makers did and fill the gaps with slivers of lime wood.

Hopefully it can only get better 🤞

IMG_2769.JPG

4 hours ago, mispeltyoof said:

Posting my "car crash" planking to share with others like me who see the wonderful builds on here and despair of their own efforts. I have decided then rather then fill the in enivitable gaps with filler I'll do what the original makers did and fill the gaps with slivers of lime wood.

Hopefully it can only get better 🤞

IMG_2769.JPG

If is that bad,  why don't you just double plank it. Use a thin layer of about 0.5mm x 5.0mm walnut over the first layer. Many kits are double planked for just this reason. The first layer is course to cover frames. Then second layer is easy to apply and will look good. 

Vince P. 😁

I used a hand plane on my last planking when it looked that rough.  It worked wonders.  Trim off the excess carefully and then sand it good to see how much filling you actually need to do.  Remember, slow is fast.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Before sanding and filling:

9EF00264-9C0F-473C-B1E7-8EAD36FADB7F.jpeg

56DE526F-471D-432B-B42E-7FB37A1D4D72.jpeg

3BC37CE9-944C-4893-BB87-ACA8D23DD948.jpeg

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

After sanding and filling:

Note: I had started the second layer of planking.

A11AAB25-6FBF-4386-A8EC-3FC1629DA504.jpeg

After second layer of planking (and sanding, but no filling, because I cut individual planks and very carefully attached them, fitting them as I went).

4C8CCE60-B5B9-4A70-A2D5-B353D4D9BAAC.jpeg

If you look at the progression, it started out really rough and slowly got better.

This is about what it looks like now.

02126EB7-A65D-42CA-B160-FA7BDD55A466.jpeg

Just keep working at it and don’t get discouraged.  Always remember though, slow is fast.  Take your time and have fun.

My naive attempt to forego filler went by the board as thin gaps appeared when sanding. She has gone from looking like firewood to actually looking more like a ship now:) Had many problems fitting bulwarks and waterways but now fitted and ready for detail filing/sanding to finalise a  closer fit.

I'm in a dilemma as to wether to fit the keel before or after my second walnut planking. I will surely need to do some filling to ensure a perfect fit between the keel and false keel. Do I risk marking my planking with the filler or plank over the top of the sanded filler?

I have only experience of two kits but must say how superior the Artisan kit is ( but twenty plus years old so may be a better quality than now) to the new Billings Bluenose I have finished. The wood is higher quality and more plentiful plus there is no plastic to be seen. The Billings had many plastic parts. Including dead eyes which were badly formed and poor quality wood.

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

Looking good, you have overtaken me. I have had very little time in the last few weeks.

Cannot tell from the pictures, but are there holes in the deck or have you marked the positions for where the masts go?

I think I see various items of deck furniture on your lamp stand.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

As I work on the "Maid" beginning to recognise mistakes and what is needed.

Relooking at my deck planking I would like to get the joints lined up correctly and reproduce caulking between them. I'm going to replank on top as I wouldn't ever be happy knowing I could do better.

Saw on a build log on here that the builder had used black paper but I can't work out what he means. Any advice on caulking or is it just a matter of painting the edges? Any advice greatfully received as always

Glenn

I marked the holes in the deck as I thought the reinforcing wooden blocks  would be easier to find when the time comes.

I did build a couple of pieces of deck furniture whist waiting for glue to set:))

My next build will also be HMS Snake when I can afford it:)

I was inspired by Steve  Priske's video on YouTube of his commisioned build of HMS Snake

Edited by mispeltyoof

RE the black paper caulking.  He probably glued black paper strips on the edges of his planks.  (Just one edge, as the "other" side of the plank receives it's caulking from its neighbor plank).  I think the easiest and safest way to caulk is by coloring the edges with a graphite pencil.  

Alan

I think caulking is a bit suck it and see. I do not think that colouring the edge looks very even, especially if the wood is not good quality. Then again gluing paper to the edges is very difficult with very thin planks, not really practical with anything less than 1mm. On my last model, with 0.6mm planks, I tried gluing cotton between the planks as I laid them. I think this was reasonable, but not easy to do the ends. Also you have to be very careful not to sand the thread when sanding the deck, otherwise it frays and looks terrible.

When I get to it on my Scottish Maid, I am going to replace the supplied wood with some 1mm planks I have and try sticking black paper to the edges. I have not tried this method before. Though I am a bit worried about how to scale it will look - use thin paper.

I would suggest that if you have any spare wood you try it out somewhere off the model. You could then compare the different methods and see what you like. If you have not seen it, try reading this article:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/Deck_PlankingIIbuttshifts.pdf.

Glenn

Current Builds

Scottish Maid, V108 Torpedo boat

Future Builds

Snake (Caldercraft)

Previous builds

HMS Shark (Sergal), Sirene (Coral), Armed Pinnace (Panart), Etoile Schooner (Billings)

Elmers makes a dark brown wood glue, PVA, for use with dark woods like walnut. I used it to glue the deck planks down, it pushes out a liitle between the planks and looks like dark caulk when dried. Lightly sanding the planks removes any residue as does a damp sponge.

Do you have a product number for the dark Elmers Jack?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

39 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Do you have a product number for the dark Elmers Jack?

Label on bottle reads "Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue" "for Dark Woods"  - no product number that I can find but the UPC code on back is 26000 00710

Says it is good for walnut, oak, cherry and other dark woods. Mine is a 4 oz bottle.  In the bottle, the glue is about the same color as chocolate milk.

Edited by Jack12477