SMS Markgraf by LEGION 12 - ICM Models - 1/350 Scale - Plastic Model

First I hope I am doing this right my first build here , I can only hope it comes out as great as all the builds I have seen here. I have had this model for a long time and this place has given me the motivation to get it built . I started drilling out the portals and sanding the hull , and debating on getting the Photo etch detailing set for this ship never used Photo - etching before. 20181028_173710_zpsxmne44km.jpg20181028_173729_zpsbo5ln4ek.jpg

Interesting ... as RGL, Canute, and I are going to build the SMS Seydlitz as a kind of group build, it's older but smaller sister.

If you want to add detail to her, I would certainly try the PE. It also gives you a lot more building time. These ships do not have the numerous AA gun's which are hard to build when starting with PE ,so it should be a good starting point for your first encounter with it. I'll be following along with your endeavours to recreate her

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

5 minutes ago, cog said:

Interesting ... as RGL, Canute, and I are going to build the SMS Seydlitz as a kind of group build, it's older but smaller sister.

If you want to add detail to her, I would certainly try the PE. It also gives you a lot more building time. These ships do not have the numerous AA gun's which are hard to build when starting with PE ,so it should be a good starting point for your first encounter with it. I'll be following along with your endeavours to recreate her

Ordered the PE kit today now to choose a glue .

get a thin quick drying, and a thicker slightly sower drying CA. Gorilla, Zap CA, BSI insta-cure/maxi-cure. For the kit's parts I use a glue for plastic. Personally I prefer a brush as applicator for the latter, and use a metal rod for the CA

Carl

Just now, cog said:

get a thin quick drying, and a thicker slightly sower drying CA. Gorilla, Zap CA, BSI insta-cure/maxi-cure. For the kit's parts I use a glue for plastic. Personally I prefer a brush as applicator for the latter, and use a metal rod for the CA

I already have some gorilla glue I will gave it a shot. 

Carl's tools for applying his glues are spot on. I like the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement with the brush applicator. The glue is mostly acetone and it flashes off/evaporates quickly, with little residue. Be careful with the glue fumes. I also use Testor's glue in the black bottle. Thicker, slower working allowing you to adjust if needed.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

13 minutes ago, LEGION 12 said:

No help

Just keeping an eye on you making sure you are doing it right.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

How many rudders, 2 .. 3

I would expect the rudders' positions would be in line with axle/shaft of the respective propellors, or the number of rudders is less than the number of props ...

P.s. I tend to forget picies too, but then I edit the post so it doesn't show ;)

Carl

10 minutes ago, cog said:

How many rudders, 2 .. 3

I would expect the rudders' positions would be in line with axle/shaft of the respective propellors, or the number of rudders is less than the number of props ...

P.s. I tend to forget picies too, but then I edit the post so it doesn't show ;)

Two rudders . 20181130_182253_zpsnhsulqep.jpg

i would put them inline with the outer propellor shafts, but having seen this from the sms koning - same class - I have to revise my view. It looks like the rudders are in between the longitudinal axis of the props, and some way aft of them. have a look here

Carl