Medway Longboat 1742 -1/2" scale by Rustyj - FINISHED

Go for it Ben. You know you want to! Thanks for the kind words and all the likes too! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Here are the first four starkes in place. The pre-spiled planks are real nice and save a lot of work but still require

work on our part. A lot of time was taken with each piece. Heat, bend, very lightly sand any portion that needs

it and repeat over and over until a nice fit is obtained. As the AYC is a bit softer than boxwood I used fine sanding

sticks and files as anything course would take too much wood off.Slow and steady really applies to the planking here.

Though not as nice as Chucks I'm happy with it.

DSC00034.thumb.JPG.abee36783916b99f987f9b167db52fc7.JPG

DSC00035.thumb.JPG.e5d56a0eb63ea64932728d946a3656d6.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Nice work, as always, Rusty. Your build log will certainly be a key reference for me in due course.

Thanks Jeff and Grant and all the likes too!

I'm also looking forward to watching both of you builds.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Ok a bit of warning here. If you are anything like me you WILL either break a plank or over sand/adjust one or more. I have 3 racked up so far. Here is what I did to get a nice new plank almost as good as the original. First off be careful removing the planks from the sheet and set it aside not breaking it just in case you need to make a copy. I took the sheet that the broken plank came from, clamped it on an area of another planking sheet that it would fit on. I then traced the plank, cut it out carefully sanded it and test fit it. 

Hopefully you won't need to do this but just to be safe save those sheets the planks came out of. 

DSC00036.thumb.JPG.9d35a6b4981edeb4dc10908d8d37763a.JPG

DSC00038.thumb.JPG.64a508ea57ec3e207c4fef08d7fee106.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank Joe! Also all the likes. Much appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

You give me hope and inspiration at the same time Rusty. As you know I am still working on Cheerful. Or should I say struggling with Cheerful. That planking above the wales is hard to do and your build (observed up close) sets a standard for me. The hope comes from yet more experience with my planking. I have ripped the starboard planks off for the second time and will start again. So when you relate your set backs it just strengthens my resolve.

Joe

Nice recovery Rusty.  Looks like the original to me.

I have been lucky enough to not break any so far -- but then I have only done 2....😃

At the rate I'm going it will take me a couple of weeks just to get the first 3 or 4 rows done....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Thanks Joe and Capt Morgan. Sorry for the delay as I was out of town for a couple of days. 

Ok the planking has been completed. Here is the hull prior to adding the wales and a preliminary sanding with 220 grit.

DSC00042.thumb.JPG.a716821b9215f0de643d741fa310224d.JPG

DSC00048.thumb.JPG.21b1c6c68fef91528bc4fdfc5beb9244.JPG

and then after the wales were added. The wales was just a second layer of 1/32" layed over the last two strakes.

DSC00049.thumb.JPG.55f9690fb885d19802e3e7aa91a29049.JPG

DSC00051.thumb.JPG.4e334be7427454f4feb6fda7621bf718.JPG

DSC00052.thumb.JPG.35f1cf08de5e9bbfd15481fb9438ba13.JPG

The last five strakes were the most challenging requiring slow minor changes and constant checking. I had about 20 hours invested in those five strakes.

As I said before the pre-spiled planks were awesome. Now it's time to set her free from the building board.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Rich and thanks for all the likes. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Your model looks excellent!  Very fine workmanship.

And you log is a pleasure to read.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken and Ben!

Well she's been freed from the building board. I removed the tape, the braces from the bow and stern, 

took the fore section and grabbed the starboard side, lifted and it rotated free with no issues.

I repeated with the stern section with the same results.

I used a razor saw to cut the top tabs of the frames and the flexed the center piece fore and

aft and it came free nice and clean.

DSC00053.thumb.JPG.e7325960aac26005a290907ec47807af.JPG

DSC00054.thumb.JPG.dcfd86edd04c55ff52a0dac85b5c7959.JPG

DSC00055.thumb.JPG.c834dbe2ec2f3c28e384ce77036768e8.JPG

I then glued the building board back together, added a couple of scrap strips the width of the keel and now it will hold the model again.

DSC00057.thumb.JPG.7be00d7c333c556fa9f004e6d9f769cc.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice idea about gluing the building board back together.  Quick, easy, and functional.  Can't beat that....

Looks great....

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Thanks Steve and Chuck.

Having a lot of time to build is a real bonus plus all the fun of building her!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

On 12/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, Rustyj said:

If you are anything like me you WILL either break a plank or over sand/adjust one or more. I have 3 racked up so far.

Hehe -- I guess we have something in common.  I just broke my 3rd one also.  Touchy little buggers   LOL

Anyway, wanted to say thanks for your idea/tutorial about how to make another.  Starting to get good at it now....😉

Steve

Steve

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, CaptMorgan said:

I guess we have something in common.  I just broke my 3rd one also.

Yeah Steve I'm not sure that's something you want to have in common with me. :o

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The cap rail was trimmed to fit and added. While the glue dries the bolsters were formed and then fit at the bow. There are multiple angles to sand and cut into it.

DSC00056.thumb.JPG.237b2e04a0431dc94b92a4b1d98844a6.JPG

DSC00058.thumb.JPG.6940cfcd5d7c59bfb145b2ddf8d27aea.JPG

Once they were fit the outboard side of the cap rail was sanded down to 1/32". I used a scrap piece of 1/32" wood to keep checking my progress.

DSC00063.thumb.JPG.9dabc35ec83c355ddef83b6af1198b0c.JPG

The starboard side sanded to 1/32" and bolsters in place.

DSC00060.thumb.JPG.8b8b29b8169e429bcff60c6d97d55bf4.JPG

Once the outboard was sanded I used a compass to mark the 5/32" thickness the cap rail needed to be sanded to.

DSC00062.thumb.JPG.6a3eff4ea05d7d997ba0f0b3ecb39fa2.JPG

Next the inboard cap rail will be sanded to the correct thickness as well as the frames.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

You're cruising right along Rusty. Your work looks very good.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Looking great!  Wish I could find more time to get into the shop and continue work on mine.  It's good to have a busy life, but sort of wish it was less busy at times.  :)

Thanks Jeff and Brian as well as all the likes.

On 12/14/2018 at 10:42 AM, GuntherMT said:

It's good to have a busy life, but sort of wish it was less busy at times.  :)

That's the plus side of being "semi retired" This is the quiet season for me until mid January!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The cap rail has been completed, painted, the friezes added and the molding under the frieze scraped to shape and added.

DSC00067.thumb.JPG.9e58957516775820ebfe0be6a7486f85.JPG

DSC00068.thumb.JPG.e60656122e899e881b12763582f58141.JPG

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.b41e207c7a04671ea0e7e7d7ef58d608.JPG

DSC00083.thumb.JPG.48175a7e643468648fb463399928ff76.JPG

As you can see there is still some paint touch up needed on the cap rail. Once I'm satisfied the paint is done I'll move on to start the simulated nails on the hull planking.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)