Medway Longboat 1742 by Trussben - 1:24. Exposed Framing - FINISHED

Glad to say I was able to purchase Chucks new kit , The Medway Longboat from the second batch, ordered on Wednesday and delivered on Friday.

As per the norms it was well packed and complete as per the picture, everything looks well machined and the yellow cedar aroma is great.

ben

5EE942C8-3955-45DB-9A53-162D9BB507C7.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Off to a slow start with the Longboat, the more detailed keel was used and the halving joints were pared down using a very sharp 1” chisel.

Keel bolts were simulated with the 20lb line and a coat of WOP was applied to everything.

A70A68A0-9BCA-48CC-8413-13C2C7624A1E.jpeg

15D3D7B1-F371-4F6D-B48B-7A14BBEAFCF6.jpeg

And you're off! Nice start Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Transom has been glued, all frames completed and test fit in the build board slots - some minor tweaking was needed.

Now to install the keel onto the framing.

ben

A8F51744-564F-4DA7-9C2F-5579536B7E00.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Planking is complete.

As you can see, I’am only partially planking the hull as per the other contemporary model, I prefer the look with the framing exposed.

Now that comes with perils of its own - just like with the QAB (Queen Anne barge) I only used the upper 3 strakes and everything is much more fragile as you have less supporting planking but if your slow and careful it’s entirely possible.

Hopefully I will get time over the holidays to get the frame tabs removed and get the cap rails installed but Pegasus lower deck framing is going to take modeling priority.

ben

589040AF-B05C-479A-9726-ECFE23DD8A97.jpeg

9B0FAD74-0BD9-4E0A-92D7-4C85CB5F082E.jpeg

AD89B5E6-C330-4FFD-86CD-B2604298389A.jpeg

Very nice Ben. I might have tried that too if  hadn't done that with the barge.

Very interested to see how she looks once free from the building board! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Here is the hull with all the frame tabs removed, the build board flipped over and two pieces of scrap glued to it and the hull fastened to the board.

The reason for fastening the keel to the board was to stop hogging of the hull which I saw with the QAB as I only have minimal planking, maybe not needed with the longboat as the keel is much thicker but I thought I’d stay on the safe side.

Maybe get the Caprails installed over the weekend.

ben

73E7C28A-C7EF-436E-85EA-5F775C94A16C.jpeg

D1DAE8A7-BA49-4719-A6A4-D490117D2858.jpeg

0A78B179-2F1E-4E76-8ABE-9F9C4E8F0179.jpeg

Looking real nice Ben!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Wow - I like it!!  Nice to see you go this route to show the other planking options.  

Wish I would have seen it before.  Keep it up....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Here are the Caprails installed and I left a decent overhang both in/outboard to allow for sanding to correct width, next up is the stem bolsters.

ben

A204020B-4DB5-4DD3-AC7F-C2CCFE7AF970.jpeg

Wow - I like it!!!   It looks fantastic.  But I have to say it looks like you skipped out of a lot of work not doing all that planking....  LOL..😁

I really like where this is going.   Keep it up....

Very nice....

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

• 2 weeks later...

Stem Bolsters installed and inner upper strake completed - now to prime and paint which is my least favorite part of modeling.

ben

E6E6D46B-8E40-4BC9-88CD-BA7E3C812A99.jpeg

Very nice, crisp and sharp. Ah just wait, lots of painting to enjoy on this beauty. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of work was completed in the last week before I start traveling for work again.

Friezes added, trim piece scraped with simple profile and installed below the frieze, caprails painted, and all planking had the “copper” nails added.

When I get back I will start on the floors.

ben

2FDF02AC-4F9F-488E-BD9A-DC1F8DE842D3.jpeg

4176792E-DA41-4DD6-9173-579A6FB8DB12.jpeg

Yes Ben, very nice!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

LOL....

Looking isnt going to help much Ben!!!!  Seriously though, this is a tricky part of the project. :rolleyes:

Well done Ben. Not to tricky but enough to make me nervous.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, thanks for the comments and the likes.

Here is the fore platform and the risers installed and “nailed”.

Their positions were checked against the plans several times to make sure they were at the correct height and fore/aft position was good.

Now onto the cockpit seats.

ben

DCE44AB2-1186-4125-9CD6-DB7448F29158.jpeg

5FB07F6A-C772-48C5-B41F-FC522C3C7D9C.jpeg

Looking good Ben. Isn't it a fun build ?

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hey Rusty,

Yep - it sure is. I like working on it alongside Pegasus to keep me a little sane, and Chucks kits are always a blast and turn into great looking models if you take a little time on them - Yours just goes to show what level of excellence can be achieved.

ben

Edited by Trussben