Doug McKenzie

Medway Longboat 1742 by Doug McKenzie

This first post I'll mention some of the skills that I am hoping to hone:

1--  Fairing the frames - I would like to have more of a process to follow whereas I currently just sort of gently attack the frames - this is particularly true for the inside faces of the frames.

2--  Planking - Making a nice fit between the edges of adjacent planks.

3--  Painting - I have only once painted a model ship (Emma C Berry for sailing).  The finish that I obtained was crude to say the least.

4-- Others - I'm sure there are skills that I don't even anticipate needing now.

The photo shows current status - frames are being faired

BTW this kit is great!  Pieces are well designed and manufactured at least up to where I am now.  The inclusion of the building board is much appreciated.

Doug

Barge fairiing.jpg

It looks like Doug is first out of the gate (not counting Chuck or Stuntflyer Mike).  Great progress so far!!!!

Chuck S,

Anyway, I wasn't trying.  I am at a fascinating point with brigantine Leon because of the documents that have been found from her time of build, 1880.  I figured I'd better set aside structured time for the longboat or she'd be forgotten.  

Good fortune to all,

Doug