Another New Guy Introduction

Gday Brethren of MSW

Name is Pete and I am here to build.  I have a love of all styles, shapes and designs of shipping from all periods of history, as well as all nationalities.

Though I must admit that I am not a greatly experienced modeller as I spent more pf my past travelling on the water and serving in the military.  I recently married the most wonderful woman.  Not only does she think I am wonderful, she also fully supports my new hobby.  A wonderful example of this happened just this afternoon when I was looking at an airbrush and compressor, working out when I could buy them.  Wonder Woman asks me will they be used, will it make for better finished models and do I really want them.  After 2 mins to answer here questions out comes here card and she buys them both.... what a woman!!!

Not quite sure what I will build first, I was able to buy 25 x 1/700 plastic kits, half dozen 1/350 and 35 paper plans at a clearout sale of a small town variety/toy store.

What do I hope to achieve here?  The aquiring of the knowledge and skills required to complete these and any other kits/scratch builds that take my fancy.  Also to make friends with other mad men and women.

May your masts always be straight.

Pete

Welcome Pete

Can I borrow your wife for a few weeks? No not really, mine is pretty good about my ever expanding stash, and besides after almost 39 years I have become accustomed to her, (and she tolerates me and doesn't remind me too often of my shortcomings)!

So with a new airbrush and 66 models, or plans for models what  will you jump on first?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gidday Pete and  a hearty welcome from the land Downunder.

Congratulations on your recent nuptials. Sounds like a major score at the clearout sale. You will find a lot of support and encouragement here. I guess your biggest problem with all the kits and plans is where to start.

All the best for your build or builds.

Mark.

Gday Lou

Sorry can't bring myself to share her at the moment....it is so true when they say a good woman is hard to find.  Especially if she tolerates or encourages my hobby!!!

As to what I am going to work on first. I am one of those sick twisted individuals that likes a real challenge.  So I am going to make a plastic kit in 1/350, 1/700, wooden kit, a group build on here and a scratch build off of a set of plans!!!

So the lucky ships are:

King George V 1/350 by Tamiya

Akitsushima 1700 by Aoshima  (dived on the wreck a few years ago)

Not sure as to which one, perhaps the Scottish Maid, any help on subject choice would be appreciated

Group build is the H.M.S. Triton both full and section

Scratch build from plans will be S.M.S. Emden

Coments and advice always welcome.

Pete

8 hours ago, pontiachedmark said:

Sounds like a major score at the clearout sale.

I did the same thing about 20 years ago when a hobby shop that I frequently visited in Door County was going out of business.  I guess that I spent close to a grand there when we luckily happened be vacationing up there and found the owner in the process of a clearance sale.  I picked up six wooden sailing ship model kits.  I bought every hand tool, clamp, piece of literature that he had left, and his whole remaining stock of paint.  I even bought his entire stock of milled basswood including the display case. (That I recently modified for my handicap accessible model shop.)  Boy, was he happy to see me come in!  I bought so much stuff that we had trouble packing the car to go back home.:P

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Welcome to MSW, Pete.  Best advice I give is what was given to me concerning wood ships.... start simple and grow from there.  The Scottish Maid isn't a bad start with quite a few builds here.  If you start and decide it's to tough, go down a notch or two to something simpler.  And by all means open a build log for any kit you do.  It's the best way to make friends and get input and support.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pete

Sounds like an ambitious set of projects. You will probably find a lot of help in the KG5 as she seems to be pretty popular. Possibly not so much help will be available in the 1/700 build, I could be wrong but you may be the first in that size here but welcome to the "Plastic Invasion." The Scottish Maid seems to be popping up a lot lately so I am certain it will be popular. The story of the Emden is of course famous as is the trek of her landing party in getting back to Germany. That kind of history is what inspires me to build a ship most times, sometimes unfortunately. 

Looking forward to your logs.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gidday Pete.

Wood supply in Oz is pretty good. I'm looking at Bunnings, Ozzie hardware chain,for Tassie Oak. It might be a bit too coarse grained. Like most Modellers I look at things with an eye on how I can adapt or use them. 

The biggest problem is Postage and Handling. I can understand to some extent when sheets of thin ply have to be mailed but I still  feel ripped off. I was buying car parts from the states but with the Ozzie dollar in the toilet and the exorbitant postage it's not practical. 

There are plenty of suppliers  in Oz. What state are you in, not mentally but physically? 

All the best with your builds.

Mark.

1 hour ago, JToma said:

Welcome to MSW Pete

Thanks Jeff

@ Mark I am on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.  From what I have found so far most suppliers in Oz Are in Vic or NSW.  With Aussie Post prices, sending for items from down South means I have to sell a kidney or 2.

Pete

Welcome aboard, Pete.

What a nice haul of models and painting equipment to get your new hobby kick started! Sounds like you hit the marriage lottery with your new wife. Hope you and she spend many happy decades of life and love together.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Hope you post your build threads. Will be happy to add anything I can to help you along the way, even if it's just positive encouragement. 

Cheers!

CDW

Gidday Pete.

I agree wholeheartedly re postage costs. I am regularly quoted more for postage than the price of the item. I can only suggest an Internet search or contacting local hobby stores. If I can find anything to assist I'll get in touch.

All the best.

Mark

Welcome to the club pete  -  a few simple rules   -   1)  make sure to bring popcorn (lots to feed the hungry mob)    2)  ask as many qustions about your build/s      3) post lots  of pics  (we love pics)

But most of all   - have fun.

OC.:cheers::dancetl6:

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Welcome to MSW and have fun building al those models.

Greetings Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 4 years later...

Gday Brethren of MSW

Well it has been 4 years since I last posted....where the hell did it go.  In that time I have done NONE of said projects.  We moved to South Australia with the wife's work, then a year and half later we were moved further up the state with her work.  That put a serious cramp in the plans.  Then I had a number of contracts to fill...more delays, and after that some medical issues from a misspent youth in the army.  Now I am sorting out trees, fences, water and a house on our land.  So hopefully I will get to actually START building something....SOON!!!  Ah the joys of being an adult.

Pete

Struth! That's a long time without building a ship. I'm not sure I'd be able to cope being unable to model for so long!

So where are you in SA? From your description of what you're doing, it sounds rural.

Do you have any idea which model you're going to work on first?

Steven

PS: Welcome back.

Gday Steven

At the moment we are North of Adelaide in Gawler, but our land is up in the Clare Valley hills. It has been very difficult to not be making something for all this time but sometimes life gets in the way.  As to what will be on the bench "The Sultan" dhow by AL.  Have always loved these boats, used to love watching them on the Nile.

Pete

Welcome back home, Pete.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pete, you can see we kept the lights on for you. Wishing you the best with your builds. 

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome  back   - we all  kept  the  goodies  on hand  for you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I feel your pain...I joined the Navy in 1992 with a couple of ships on the slipways in my parent's basement....and they never did end up finished.  I moved to Halifax, and after a 26+ year career have now slid into the Public Service and am no longer spending months away from home....so I'm stepping back into the model building world.  I'm bringing a 3D printer with me though, so my projects have been focused on that basis.   (3D Printed Liberty Ship, and an HMCS Bonaventure model that I'm bringing to completion and fitting out with 3D printed bits. 

Welcome back!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area.